Wipers Fish-Hook and Menin Railway

009matt

Hi all. Sorry that I have not posted much recently, but have been busy building this.

The layout gets its name from the infamous Wipers Times (Salient News). On the very first page, is an advert for the W, FH &M Rly offering excursions to Gordon's farm.

I am a keen wargamer and love painting this type of figure, so that was where the layout started - a bunch of 28mm WW1 figures. They scale out around 1:64, or S scale. Coupled with 9mm gauge track, this represents 2' gauge (approx)

All of the stock etc is scratchbuilt and is an impression of this type of Great war supply line, and things are not 100% perfect - I have tried to be more artistic than rivet counterish

It is booked in at Alton (feb 1/2) and NGSW (feb 15) and possibly SWING (May)

Hope you like it

Matt

20140105_122922.jpg

20140105_105201.jpg

20140105_105141-1.jpg

Hi paul, no, it is purely based on the geometry of the Kato Unitrak I happened to have available, laying it in a configuration that emulated the prototype, weaving its way through the man made and geological features of war torn France and Belgium. 

matt

Menin is a town in Belgium. When British soldiers went 'up the line' from Ypres (Ieper) they left through the Menin gate, and up the Menin road, under German shellfire all the way.

I would imagine Fish-Hook is a bastardisation of the name of a Belgian town or village, ending in -hoek

Thanks people.

Doing a bit more searching, it seems they may have used the term fish-hook to describe the shape of some of the (battle) lines:

From an OCR'd copy of the Lincoln Star at http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/40592156/

"General von Boehm, whose troops form the point of the fish-hook line that curves north from Soissons, extending from St. Quentm to Mons..." [st Quentin? badly OCR'd]

From some educational flashcards at http://quizlet.com/20686030/wwi-frq-dates-flash-cards/

"September-November 1914 France and Germany attempted outflanking each other (fish hook) - started at Marne, reached sea by November"

While these might not be the actual one at Ypres, it's a possible source for the fish hook name, especially if the (rail) line had to make a sharp corner.

Diversion over - back to the trains.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I wondered where you had got to Matt. The layout looks lovely!

Really nice colour tones and painting, and of course your scratchbuilt stock looks the bees knees.

I like the watery bomb craters, too.  I'd love to see some more photos of the layout details if you have any to hand.

So how many layouts are you up to now? You must be running out of space :D

Oh by the way, you'll be pleased to know I'm starting a new OO9 layout now too.

I'm so glad you got me into narrow gauge modelling!

All the best,

Jam

Hi Jam - thanks for comments - didnt take much getting you into 009! Saw your beginnings of the new layout over on NGRM online. The Midhurst show is a couple of weeks time, the club is exhibiting a number of layouts, including my latest in HOn3! (Yes another!)

Mike - thanks for your comments - the layout is currently sitting on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231468305571?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Archived