Melyn Valley Railway

Andrew Young

POWSides #582 http://www.powsides.co.uk/www.powsides.co.uk/info.php?p=5&pid=794151&ack=9

Think one would look rather good left to rot maybe in the end of one of the sidings or a headshunt for the camp? With Minerva’s next announcement due, would be thought it’d be you tempting me with models rather than the other way round this week...

Cheers,

Andrew

I think you will like what's coming. Just waiting from some information.

• Like 2

Today has mostly been spent sorting out a platform base. Checking clearances due to the platform being on the inside of a curve, drawing a template and then cutting out plywood to the template. Using a piece of 6mm and another of 12mm thick which I had in stock to form the base. Shall leave it on the layout a day or two to check that I’m happy with it before being fixed down and clad. Well worth taking time now to make sure it’s right before fixing down!

post-11098-0-31146900-1520356885_thumb.jpeg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Been a few distractions over the last week or two, one being my better half’s birthday which was duly celebrated. However, still managing to get some modelling done. Both the Tonfanau and rectangular tank wagons were finished today:

post-11098-0-11577400-1521581251_thumb.jpeg

post-11098-0-53275300-1521581304_thumb.jpeg

Having given me the tank wagon kit, Liz stated a preference for a clean wagon. Like all good husbands, I only half listened...!! With a fortnight to go before my birthday, hopefully requests for another kit or two, might be well received. Plus, there’s a certain gunpowder wagon due out soon that would fit in nicely.

As usual after completing a project, time to clear up the work bench before starting the next one.

Andrew

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

Nearly a month since my last post. Not overly productive on the modelling front, with distractions a plenty! First off was a weekend in Tywyn just before Easter, which included a day driving centenarian ‘Douglas’ in its new RAF 100 livery. There’s now a rack for your cooking implements and sauces, plus a chance to use the RAF 100 cook book which my Brother and Sister in law (both serving RAF Officers) gave me for Christmas.

post-11098-0-63443300-1524071653_thumb.jpeg

post-11098-0-86209300-1524071695_thumb.jpeg

This was followed by a couple of days up at Beamish’s excellent Steam Fair. A day on the Coffee Pot with Paul Martin, who provided shovel cooked sausage butties for lunch. Followed by a day where we had a Hunslet each. Breakfast being served from Beamish’s new buffet car and as it was my turn to provide lunch, we had faggots & peas prepared on the Loco.

post-11098-0-50164500-1524071872_thumb.jpeg

post-11098-0-57350100-1524071956_thumb.jpeg

post-11098-0-47062200-1524072004_thumb.jpeg

This double engine malarkey will never catch on...

post-11098-0-64418200-1524072078_thumb.jpeg

And finally, what better way to end the day than with some of the best fish & chips in the land? Produced on a coal fired range.

post-11098-0-10513700-1524072153_thumb.jpeg

Part two, including some modelling to follow after dinner.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 8

Seeing as dinner needs more time to bubble away on the stove, part 2.

First up, it was my birthday earlier this month and I received a couple of wagon kits as presents. Also an IOU, for a present which arrived a week after once it had arrived from China. One of the Minerva gunpowder vans. They’re excellent, better than I could produce myself from a kit and excellent value for money. Seen here awaiting weathering. The only minor niggle was an axle box where the glue hadn’t survived the trip from the factory, but that was a five minute job to fix.

post-11098-0-95068000-1524075073_thumb.jpeg

In a previous photo, two mock up buildings and a kit building could be seen in the background.

The first building, a shop, has had a fibreboard shell built and covered in embossed plastikard.

post-11098-0-68719100-1524075426_thumb.jpeg

A start has been made on the second, based on Idris Stores, the Old Post Office I believe in Corris. Using styrene and Grandt Line mouldings, have been making the main shop front that will eventually slot into the building.

post-11098-0-71747700-1524075532_thumb.jpeg

The Grandt line parts are a commercial store front set and a separate door and window. There are 16 Grandt Line parts in the shop front, all very flimsy! But together, with some styrene strip and some 60 thou sheet, they make up into a solid box structure.

Quite enjoying making buildings now!

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 11

The big shop building is taking shape now.

The main downstairs unit is built up, apart from adding a shop display plus rearvabd sides of the box. This will then slot into the front of the building as a final act before finishing.

To accommodate this, the carcass of the building has been built up out of fibreboard and covered with embossed styrene.

post-11098-0-40873300-1524335728_thumb.jpeg

Both buildings need detailing with lintels, guttering and fascias. Followed by interior detailing, painting, glazing and roofing. Not forgetting chimneys.

Plus the Petite Properties pub needs its final finish applying and some added detail. So plenty to do!

Andrew

• Like 11

The buildings are coming on a treat - very good work!

Thanks Neil, rather pleased with them and is the first time I’ve used foamboard. Managing to get to the modelling desk little and often at the moment which is helping progress.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 months later...

Been quite some time since the last update.

On the modelling bench, the buildings have progressed to the stage where they’re painted in primer. Painting and detailing will shortly commence.

There have been two distractions preventing progress on the buildings. First is that I’m building a 4mm scale LNER ex North Eastern G5 0-4-4 kit for my Dad. Of course, they announce an rtr version a few days after we buy the chassis kit to go with the body kit my Dad has had for nigh on 40 years.

The other, and greater distraction has been that after 2 1/2 years in the new house, I’ve tackled the big job (turned into a massive job!) of insulating and lining the attic into a much more habitable and less dusty man cave / model railway room.

I’m not much good at woodwork, but built up a stud frame work, filled in with kingspan insulation then lined with plywood. My Fitbit tells me I’ve walked up in excess of 350 flights of stairs during the process. In a heat wave too!! In need of something more relaxing now...

post-11098-0-10123800-1530653917_thumb.jpeg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 8

Nearly a month since my last post. Not overly productive on the modelling front, with distractions a plenty! First off was a weekend in Tywyn just before Easter, which included a day driving centenarian ‘Douglas’ in its new RAF 100 livery. There’s now a rack for your cooking implements and sauces, plus a chance to use the RAF 100 cook book which my Brother and Sister in law (both serving RAF Officers) gave me for Christmas.

attachicon.gif0590F7EE-CF6C-4E61-A4F2-CD071E7E188B.jpeg

attachicon.gif6245C5A5-8294-4A78-BA54-032E14EE0B3B.jpeg

This was followed by a couple of days up at Beamish’s excellent Steam Fair. A day on the Coffee Pot with Paul Martin, who provided shovel cooked sausage butties for lunch. Followed by a day where we had a Hunslet each. Breakfast being served from Beamish’s new buffet car and as it was my turn to provide lunch, we had faggots & peas prepared on the Loco.

attachicon.gif486033D8-14DA-4A6E-B247-A8D906518075.jpeg

attachicon.gif1F215B0E-C2F0-44E9-B0F5-AE6B59DD9F01.jpeg

attachicon.gif92AEB2AF-DA46-4BAF-8E42-960DB70271F7.jpeg

This double engine malarkey will never catch on...

attachicon.gif6494F04E-982D-48F2-967B-1FAC59E60C14.jpeg

And finally, what better way to end the day than with some of the best fish & chips in the land? Produced on a coal fired range.

attachicon.gif6CE77583-76FF-438F-BF7A-92AD088A348E.jpeg

Part two, including some modelling to follow after dinner.

Cheers,

Andrew

Cooking up a meal on a fireman's shovel in the firebox is one of the things on my bucket list. I've already done the help build a church and white-water rafting.

There are plenty of ways to cook on the Loco besides the shovel. Pot roast lamb and potatoes boulangere in the smokebox with a dish of leeks slowly cooking on the manifold makes for a tasty dinner after finishing for the day.

Andrew

• Like 1

Hi Andrew,

Just spent an enjoyable hour or so reading this topic from beginning to end and really enjoyed it. Excellent modelling and great 'real life' interest too!

Really enjoying seeing the layout develop - it's right up my street as a fan of light and industrial railways. Shows what can be done in a relatively limited space, whilst still offering great operational capacity.

I really love what you're doing. Keep up the good work, it's very inspiring to someone hopefully taking a first plunge into industrial 7mm scale!

David

PS - those 'fireman shovel eggs' look delicious!!

Edited by south_tyne
  • Like 1

Hi Andrew,

Just spent an enjoyable hour or so reading this topic from beginning to end and really enjoyed it. Excellent modelling and great 'real life' interest too!

Really enjoying seeing the layout develop - it's right up my street as a fan of light and industrial railways. Shows what can be done in a relatively limited space, whilst still offering great operational capacity.

I really love what you're doing. Keep up the good work, it's very inspiring to someone hopefully taking a first plunge into industrial 7mm scale!

David

PS - those 'fireman shovel eggs' look delicious!!

Hi David,

Thank you for your kind words, glad you’re finding my thread inspirational. Hope you succeed into taking the plunge into 7mm scale. Can thoroughly recommend getting some wagons and one of the small locos available to start you off.

Since finishing the attic, there’s been no modelling as we spent last week in Tywyn driving on the Talyllyn. This year, we’ve had No 1 available for traffic until mid June and all the other five steam locos available since. Last week I managed to drive five of the six steam locos and one of my previous turns this year was on No 1. Which means, in my 28th season, for the first time I’ve managed to get on all six of our steam locos in the same season and I’ve still got two more weeks booked. Will be back to the modelling soon though.

post-11098-0-32481200-1531859774_thumb.jpeg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

One further non-modelling post, before I return to some modelling. One of the best photos of the Talyllyn train in the Fathew Valley that I’ve ever seen. Taken by local photographer Darren Turner https://www.tywynphotographer.co.uk and reproduced here with permission. It shows me driving Tom Rolt on the first train of the day a week last Saturday, approaching Rhydyronen.

post-11098-0-36923400-1531866684_thumb.jpeg

Please don’t reproduce this photo without permission. Darren will quite happily sell hi-res versions of his photos for a reasonable charge.

Will try and get back to the modelling bench tomorrow.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 7

Hi David,

Thank you for your kind words, glad you’re finding my thread inspirational. Hope you succeed into taking the plunge into 7mm scale. Can thoroughly recommend getting some wagons and one of the small locos available to start you off.

Since finishing the attic, there’s been no modelling as we spent last week in Tywyn driving on the Talyllyn. This year, we’ve had No 1 available for traffic until mid June and all the other five steam locos available since. Last week I managed to drive five of the six steam locos and one of my previous turns this year was on No 1. Which means, in my 28th season, for the first time I’ve managed to get on all six of our steam locos in the same season and I’ve still got two more weeks booked. Will be back to the modelling soon though.

AC71F729-8E0D-4D9A-BC7B-3038A48A6D2B.jpeg

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew - I've taken the plunge and have acquired a Hudswell Clarke and a few second hand wagons as a starting point. Currently working up some ideas for a minimum space light railway/industrial railway, so your layout is inspiring stuff.

I really enjoy following the photos from your travels. Given my interests and location, I am a regular visitor to the Tanfield Railway and Beamish so have enjoyed your snaps from there :)

• Like 1

Excellent news! The Hudswell is a good choice, there are plenty of Iain Rice trackplans that can inspire in a small space, particularly his cameo layouts book.

Sometimes I feel this thread would be better in the blog part rather than the 7mm section with the amount of time I go off piste, but for now it resides here. Must be great to have the Tanfield and Beamish locally, both fantastic places.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

Excellent news! The Hudswell is a good choice, there are plenty of Iain Rice trackplans that can inspire in a small space, particularly his cameo layouts book.

Sometimes I feel this thread would be better in the blog part rather than the 7mm section with the amount of time I go off piste, but for now it resides here. Must be great to have the Tanfield and Beamish locally, both fantastic places.

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks for the encouragement Andrew, I am learning so much from talented modellers such as yourself. Currently playing with paper point templates and moving stock around and enjoying the planning phase.

I forget how lucky we are up here to have Tanfield and Beamish on our doorstep. I love the Tanfield and always have done - the atmosphere is just right somehow, it manages to capture something very special which many heritage lines do not manage despite being longer, busier and more impressive.

I for one love following your topic and the more eclectic the better! Reading of your travels and other interests is great, and gives a much more rounded picture than just focusing solely on the developmet of a model railway :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Been a few distractions over the last week or two, one being my better half’s birthday which was duly celebrated. However, still managing to get some modelling done. Both the Tonfanau and rectangular tank wagons were finished today:

attachicon.gif6D623832-AFC5-4664-960C-8B3C10A2D01E.jpeg

attachicon.gifD6306B89-D08E-4CF9-BD8C-503970ADBE68.jpeg

Having given me the tank wagon kit, Liz stated a preference for a clean wagon. Like all good husbands, I only half listened...!! With a fortnight to go before my birthday, hopefully requests for another kit or two, might be well received. Plus, there’s a certain gunpowder wagon due out soon that would fit in nicely.

As usual after completing a project, time to clear up the work bench before starting the next one.

Andrew

May I ask what shade of blue you used for the rec tank please? Nice work :)

Thank you Colin. Apologies for the delay in replying, have been away relaxing in North Norfolk for the last week.

The paint I used for the rectangular tank was Humbrol Enamel No 15, Midnight Blue. Don’t know whether that’s accurate for that wagon, as all I could find was that those tanks were painted blue, but it was a tin I had in stock and I rather like the colour.

Thanks,

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andrew. My thought process was similar. Funnily enough it was googling for more info on the shade of blue that brought up an image of your wagon! I went for a similar shade. At least we can be fairly sure nobody will come and tell us we are wrong :)

Hope you enjoyed your break

post-12721-0-52235300-1538291579_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

More distractions....

It’s been quite a while since the last update, my intentions of getting some more progress on the MVR was slightly optimistic.

There has been some progress in that two sides of the attic, or about three times more than the size of the current baseboards has a solid base on which to construct an extended layout and I have recently taken delivery of some baseboard kits which I’m slowly constructing to go on these. Much thought went into what to build on them and pleased to say that there is a firm plan in place now so no more changes of mind! My New Years resolution is to get a useable layout operational ASAP so that I can play trains from time to time.

There has been some Modelling in that Dad’s 4mm scale G5 is finished at last. So Dad’s Harrogate layout now has long term Pateley Bridge Branch loco 67253. I added some scratch built push pull gear to the Nu Cast body kit that’s as old as me (the box had £5 on it for the price!) and rather pleased with the result. Not weathered yet, but as Dad’s locos are mostly pristine, I’d best not make it too gritty. The loco needs a couple of coaches to pull, but that can wait til I’ve done some Modelling for myself.

post-11098-0-73948600-1545677184_thumb.jpeg

As you can imagine, there’s been a fair few distractions from the Modelling bench...

Worked out that we spent five weeks away in the summer, mostly driving antique kettles, being a tourist and a wedding guest in mid Wales.

post-11098-0-81995500-1545677326_thumb.jpeg

post-11098-0-70697700-1545677396_thumb.jpeg

Additionally, there was a cultural exchange with Paul of EDM Models, where I broadened his horizons and Paul narrowed mine ditch scampering aboard the Kurdish Pasty Express

post-11098-0-81805700-1545677501_thumb.jpeg

post-11098-0-78705100-1545677549_thumb.jpeg

post-11098-0-89041800-1545677588_thumb.jpeg

In addition, there was a week in North Norfolk enjoying Steam and windmills.

post-11098-0-31455100-1545677667_thumb.jpeg

post-11098-0-10913200-1545677718_thumb.jpeg

post-11098-0-78636300-1545677740_thumb.jpeg

There was also decorating to keep me out of Modelling mischief... a spare room and a nursery as Annabel joined us in late November. So Modelling time is somewhat at a premium at the moment!

post-11098-0-27868000-1545677861_thumb.jpeg

However, I am at least. Ensuring Annabel receives a proper education.

post-11098-0-75992800-1545677911_thumb.jpeg

Finally, Merry Christmas to all fellow modellers, May your presents including some Modelling goodies and May we all get to our Modelling desks more frequently in the new year.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Unsurprisingly, modelling opportunities have been few and far between recently, however, I’m now starting to get some time at the modelling desk in short bursts. Though recent activity has been mostly narrow gauge modelling, with work centred around the Dapol B4 chassis going under my Fletcher Jennings tank.

Yesterday saw the annual Mickleover Members Day which was once again an enjoyable occasion fueled by tea, bacon sarnies and delicious cake. Suitably inspired, hopefully I’ll get some time at the modelling bench.

Thanks to Phil Traxson, ‘Fair Isle’ and my saloon coach took a turn on Black Drake Wharf.

post-11098-0-33519000-1548621881_thumb.jpeg

My Fletcher Jennings tank, currently running on the Dapol chassis, took a spin on the HDLR.

post-11098-0-00276200-1548621948_thumb.jpeg

Though Annabel was underwhelmed by her Dad’s modelling...

post-11098-0-87140300-1548622013_thumb.jpeg

With the light weight of the FJ, I’d always thought that running powers might be a bit limited, some running trials proved otherwise.

https://flic.kr/p/2d4jeug

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 8