Most recently, I purchased a rather playworn (But working) Hornby 'Thomas' to donate its chassis and various parts to my E2 project. This left me with a margate-spec chassis and a still-smiling body.
Not smiling for long though, as out came the tools. My general aim with this one is to turn it into a powerful-looking industrial loco.
Firstly, the cab was cut up using a circular saw dremel attachment.
I've always liked the angled bunker of the Hunslet 50550 class, so the bunker was duly cut, then spaced with strips of plasticard.
A rear brace for the cab was added
I also rather like the distinctive cabs of the Lambton locos, and as this was to be an industrial loco, I wanted to modify the cab to fit in a similar loading gauge. In this case, the narrow cab of the E2 (Upon which this is based) rather lends itself to the modifications.
Strips of plasticard with slots for the side tanks, then cut diagonally.
Glued to the cab sides
The innards of the bunker are added
and the rear of the cab also gets extenders
Here it is, plonked in place to show the intended appearance
Meanwhile, as I had no desire to lower the running plate, the front splashers were unnecessary and removed.
I've got a hankering to extend the boiler by adding a longer smokebox wrapper, along with the bufferbeam, and make allowance for outside cylinders.
Next job is to fix those holes in the running plate, though. Currently waiting for the miliput to dry so it can be sanded and a coat of filler primer added to the rear.
Here's tonight's bodgery....
I was able to get a blast of filler primer on it as a 'reveal' coat, then started to sand and file down the miliput filler
Meanwhile, a chunk was missing from one of the rear cab windows, so I cut a piece of plasticard to plug the gap.
A few more blasts of FP later...
There were still a few dips that needed filling out, so I used some poster paint, which can be easily worked into gaps and sanded afterwards.
Now, the next step was to attach the cab sides, in order to allow for adjustment of the roof to fit. These were fitted into place with poly cement.
Here it is plonked roughly on the chassis, I'm erring toward keeping this as an inside cylinder loco, as with these size wheels on this wheelbase, there's not really enough room for cylinders without moving the wheelsets around.
and a view of the 'plonk' from the back
I tidied up the front footplate area a bit, need to cut some plasticard to shape and fill in those gaping holes at the front.
Edited by Corbs, 21 December 2017 - 14:12 .