N gauge Raven Q6 0-8-0 Steam Locomotive

DJM Dave

Photo courtesy of Ben Jones

A loco that I’ve had thoughts on for a good few years that I now get the opportunity to realise in N gauge.

Using photographs, loco visits and Ravens plans, this model will capture the character of these distinctive engines.

Featuring a coreless loco mounted motor, heavy chassis, RP72 darkened wheels, DCC 6 pin decoder socket, space in the tender for a large DCC sound speaker and all wheel pickup, and variants of dome and a second tender (to follow).

RRP IRO £130.00

NQ6-001 63395 early or late crest BR black, dome is flatter on top

NQ6-002 3412 LNER plain Gill Sans lettering, (post-war) with smaller rounded dome

NQ6-003 2280 LNER shaded lettering, pre-war, smaller dome.

NQ6-004 63431 BR late crest (dome as 63395)

NQ6-005 2238 lined NER black, as preserved

post-1144-0-82035200-1406108657.jpg

• Like 7

Absolutely blown away by this announcement!

Another "never in my wildest dreams" loco for British N.

This and the Hudswell Clarke are definitely locos I will buy.

Dave, for me I have to say you have completely reversed my disappointment from Sunday with your announcements today.

Roy

Two for Hawthorn Dene, and a Hudswell Clarke to work the colliery.

Plenty of time to get in touch with Ian & Neil at Sherwood Models and reserve them, though I must up my J94 order.

I've sent a link to the threads on the Q6 to the NER Association Editor.  Hopefully that might result in a few sales......

All the very best

Les

• 1 month later...

I had a chat with Neil of Sherwood Models at Grantham Show this morning and got my pre-orders placed-

two J94s with low bunkers.

one green Clayton.

one green Husdwell Clarke.

and one each of 63395 and 63431.

That's £600 or so committed.  Now all I've got to do  is save up........

All the very best

Les

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

FAO Dave at DJM, in particular:

Dave,

I don't know whether this is the best thread to use for this - please advise.

I've been looking through my copy of "Locomotives of the LNER Part 6C" by RCTS, which gives good coverage of his class. I wondered what tender version, or versions, you might produce. I'm interested in the N Gauge model, but these comments apply to any Q6 model (see pp 47-49 of Part 6C).

Five different tenders were used with the class - for convenient reference I'll list them A - E and confine myself to visual differences:

- A) - 3940 gallons, D shaped tender frame slots, coal rails around back of tender, width over sides 7' 5", depth of tank 4' 3" ;

- B)  - B - 4125 gallons, D shaped tender frame slots, coal rails around back of tender, width over sides 7' 5", depth of tank 4' 9" ;

- C) - 4125 gallons, oval tender frame slots, coal rails around back of tender, width over sides 7' 5", depth of tank 4' 9" ;

- D) - 4125 gallons, oval tender frame slots, coal rails to back of coal space, width over sides 7' 10", depth of tank 4' 9" ;

- E) - 4125 gallons, oval tender frame slots, coal rails curved down behind coal space, width over sides 7' 10", depth of tank 4' 9" .

I haven't dealt here with the issue of which tenders were self-trimming - this might be significant, depending on how much of the interior you plan to model - maybe a bigger issue for OO?

There were many changes of tender between this class and others (notably Class C7 - the NER Z Atlantics) from 1932 right up to 1954 and this complicates matters.

I guess you'll want to choose a tender version which gives the widest range of locomotives over time, to allow livery variations, etc - in my judgement this is probably version A, used on the earliest NER built batch of 30 locos and, with transfers from B13s, B15s and Q5s amounted to 48 locos eventually. I guess you won't want too much variation in tooling, but unfortunately the preserved loco seems to have version B (I'll look into how and when) and modelling 63395 seems essential. However, the difference would be only in the height of the tender tank - perhaps this would be bearable?

The extensive swapping of tenders will mean that a photo of any planned loco should be consulted, confirming the tender in use at the chosen livery timeframe.

I hope this is helpful - happy to discuss. I'll turn my attention to other detail variations on the locomotives next (all credit to RCTS, by the way).

Edited by R Marshall

PS - I should have said something about timeframes, which will help for livery choices. These five types were used with class Q6 from:

A - 1913;

B - 1932;

C - 1932;

D - 1917;

E - 1918.

So NELPG's earlier finish of 63395 as 2238 in NER black was inaccurate in a number of respects and should only be used to represent the preserved state at that time.

I'd better answer this as Dave asked me to supply a list of suitable locos.

All five were done from photographs showing a tender with D-shaped slots and coal rails round the tender.  In addition none of them were from the first 30 of the class which had different buffer beams to 63395.  The photos were from either the RCTS Green Guide or from the Yeadon Register, except for 63431which was in a colour album about the Tyne Dock area - there was a late picture of 63395 in that book also.

The two type listed as A and B are just about indistinguishable from a photograph.  The tank difference is 1mm in N-gauge, but part of that may not be above the frame.  Dave now has the Isinglass drawings for the type A (Q5) and type D/E (Q6) tenders, but I don't think there is a height difference shown on these- I may be wrong.

As to our friend 63395, there is a clear photograph showing it running with early crest and a type A or B tender- then another in about 1960 with a type E tender and late crest, and several taken 1965-1967 with its present tender, which I had thought was a type A but am quite happy to concede is a type B given just how similar they are.  I assume that each time the loco got a General overhaul it emerged with the first available overhauled tender- that seems to fit in with practice at other main works, not just Darlington.

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952

Les,

Sorry - I wasn't looking for a response on the locos chosen, as such - simply following up a conversation I had with Dave at a meeting he addressed in Bournmoor.

And, sorry to disagree - your maths are right, but, for some reason, the difference between A and B is very visible to me - for A, the top of the coal rails is level with the top of the cab side windows, whereas for B the top of the coal rails is level with the bottom of the cab roof - that's the sort of compromise I have to accept with other manufacturers, but I had the impression that it wouldn't do for DJM. I'll add a couple of cropped pics to show what I mean.

Note too that whilst I have a pre-order for a N Gauge model, I intend my comments for any scale - this difference will be very apparent in OO.

I have no particular tender preference, apart from an aversion to type D with the abrupt end to the rails, and lots of locos to choose from at 51C. The tender produced in greatest numbers was type E (70 of 120 of class Q6), but, because of swapping, many of these ended with  Class C7, D49 and J39 - wonder if DJM might fancy an Atlantic?

I'm trying to give DJM the information to inform tooling decisions, which will give the widest possible appeal to the enthusiast - if he should want, in future, to produce an authentic NER-liveried T2 (aka Q6), the the type B tender won't do. I'd planned to go on and give this treatment to loco details.

I thought I'd seen this sort of discussion around the CAD drawings for the J94 too?

Regards,

Roy

PS I'm a member of NELPG and I'm trying to find whether there's a maker's plate on the tender at Grosmont.

PPS with so much of development to come, I'd thought that discussion would be helpful - if this is already "bolted down", I'll say no more.

post-24552-0-29504200-1419891241.jpg

post-24552-0-34344300-1419891261.jpg

Edited by R Marshall

I've now looked again through the photos I sent to Dave and can confirm tenders should be as follows.

N-Q6-001  63395 is B type if late crest (to do it with Early crest would be type A)- the sequence of BR period tenders is A to E to B. 

N-Q6-002 3412 LNER postwar was B type.  The alternative number 3394 I sent had an A-type tender.

N-Q6-003 2280 running in the thirties was B type

N-Q6-004 63431 ran with a B-type tender in 1967 (late crest)

and N-Q6-005 as preserved is also a B-type tender.

Admittedly a happy coincidence, but Dave can get away with just modelling the tender currently behind the preserved Q6, though this loses 63395 as an early crest identity.

I'm not sure how much an additional tender top would add to the tooling costs.  I appreciate that the B-type tender isn't appropriate for a genuine NER Q6, but I did make a couple of suggestions for two years time that would add an NER Q6 in as a possibility.  I just wish I had the money to bankroll them....

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952

If I know Dave the debate on details hasn't started yet.  Not a lot will really happen until the first CAD appears, which I would imagine Dave will publish here.

By trying to get a single tender option and only one bufferbeam (by ignoring the first thirty locos) my idea was to get the loco affordable, knowing there were variations in dome shape and position (which might mean two boiler toolings if boiler band positions changed) and a variety of smokebox doors.

Thinking about why I'd not spotted the height difference between types A and B- all the tenders I'd looked at were B type, as the A type tended to stay more with the (eliminated) first thirty locos.

All the very best

Les

Les,

Fair enough - I'm happy with any version for mine - there were even D type tenders at 51C - and certainly minimising the tooling requirements was driving my thoughts anyway.

I guess we all just want DJM to have best possible chance of success (with this loco in particular).

Some 35-40 years ago I remember seeing someone running a scratchbuilt N gauge Q6 on a layout at Newcastle MRE - in the days when it was held in the Guildhall, I think. Wanted one ever since.

Regards,

Roy

Mick Simpson has a very nice 2mm Q6 running on Wansbeck Road.   If Dave's gets anywhere near this brass one in standard I'll be well pleased with it...

All the very best

Les

waiting for my pair to appear with Sherwood Models with eager anticipation......

Les,

That's probably a Bob Jones kit from the Fence Houses Model Foundry - worth a look at his list of bits and bobs (got some nice parts for a NER buffer stop in 2mm and last I heard he was working on etched signal parts. He supplied the coal rails for my Union Mills locos too, having specially expanded them to suit from his Q6 kit.

Regards,

Roy

• 10 months later...

I'm hoping that the announcement from Hornby that they are doing a Q6 in OO will move the N-gauge Q6 forward in Dave's thinking rather than back.

It is an iconic North East loco and I'm in the planning stage of my SECOND exhibition layout that needs them.....

Les

Hi Les

I wonder if Dave will still consider it as viable and push it down his priorities but that will depend how far along he is with R&D and CAD work has got I guess. Of course speculation only - he knows the model railway business far better than I do!

Regards

Roy