• 2 weeks later...

Hi

That seaweed looks very good.....Excellent modelling

Cheers Bill

Yes, well done. As a non-smoker myself I sympathised with your views about never having bought a tobacco product. As for the end result using the chopped up lichen - brilliant!

aac

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A long time without posting but I've not been idle - just doing too many things at once, model railway and otherwise! Anyway, some progress worth showing.

First, 37413 makes it's way onto the Pill with empty CDAs. The wagons are Hornby (from the Hattons sale! )with the canopy butchered to make it look 'less wrong', then repainted to ECC colours. They've had basic weathering but some more tones need introducing. Experiments with the back scene going on. At the moment it's just an 'Art Printers' N gauge one blue tacked to the wall.

post-14258-0-79315600-1464617812_thumb.jpg

The boatyard premises. Just 'plonked' at the moment. A repainted and re-roofed 'Scripps Garage' from TMC/Bachmann. The roof tiles are York Modelmaking Cornish slate. Temporary sign made up on the computer to see how things would look. The trailer for dragging boats out of the water is cobbled up from a Coopercraft lorry chassis and odd bits of strip. Just blasted over with track colour for the moment.

post-14258-0-24148300-1464618362_thumb.jpg

This one is just because I like 37s! I've used Tillg track to see what it was like. It's very obviously HO but certainly the PB rail looks very good. Looks fine from eye level. 

post-14258-0-06542500-1464618415_thumb.jpg

Plenty still to do...

• RMweb Premium

That 37 is a long way from Eastfield.

Lovely work by the way, What are you going to do for the water?

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for the kind words. Both 37s are one time Scottish machines that migrated to Cornwall. 412 worked in that livery, on the clays for just a few weeks. 

As far as the water goes I'm still undecided, although there has been a helpful suggestion or two on this thread. At any rate there won't be a lot and I intend to leave it until I have produced a few boat or three.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not much in the way of modelling to report but these two have arrived from Model Dockyard who are appropriately based in Cornwall. Quick service by the way and well packed.

Very good little resin castings. Not cheap but they will be highly visible.

Intending to modify them to craft seen at Golant.

post-14258-0-74112200-1466013721_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

At this time of year it's too hot in the 'Man Cave' for any serious modelling work but I have experimented with a bit of weathering outdoors. The Warship is a collection of Bachmann bits of various ages and the Scottish interloper (well the Kyle line is technically west of Exeter... :)  ) is the familiar Heljan 26. I couldn't get the version I wanted but Heljan spares are easy to get so I swopped the compressor for some water tanks.

The tanks are Bachmann/Kernow I think they are the vac brake version but must admit I'm not absolutely sure...

post-14258-0-98163900-1471889681_thumb.jpg

post-14258-0-01324100-1471889684_thumb.jpg

I want to do a tiny bit more weathering to both, particularly the roofs, but it takes me a while to get in the right mood and pluck up courage!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just come back for a shufty after your piece on Peterborough North reminded me. Superb stuff Trevor. I'm very envious.

Phil

Thank's Phil, I'm learning (and re-learning) a lot. Now I find I'm hankering after something that operates rather than a diorama. 

By moving the computer I've managed to create a space about 8' 6" X 18"/20" in my den. What to do? I have three main interests:

• Almost anything in the west country at any time.
  • Scotland 1980s.
  • The east coast mainline.

TBH, even though I love it, the west country is getting a bit 'seen it got the T shirt etc'... I quite like the idea of part of Kyle of Lochalsh but so have so many other people...

I remember Kings Cross Passenger Loco from diesel days and you know of my other 'connection' with the GN line from the Peterbourough thread. I think a reasonable representation of the yard will just about fit in the space. As the moment I'm doing a lot of thinking, sketching, reading and learning. I've purchased a number of photos and I think it would would work. DCC would be essential. 1959 I reckon so I can have a Deltic with sound.  :danced: Expensive - I haven't a single item of stock - but it would take me some time so, along with a selective pruning of what I have now, that balances out.

We'll see.... :scratchhead:

The tanks are Bachmann/Kernow I think they are the vac brake version but must admit I'm not absolutely sure...

Are they TTA or TTV, if A on the end then they are air braked, if V on the end then they are vacuum.

Are they TTA or TTV, if A on the end then they are air braked, if V on the end then they are vacuum.

Those tanks were 

Thanks for that. They are TTAs.

Those tanks were vacuum braked as TTV when introduced in 1964, but received air brakes and modified suspension around 1980 and were recoded TTA,

Paul Bartletts site has details

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/essopickeringa 

They go nicely with the class 26, and I do like the bridge,

cheers 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Mike and Pete. Thanks for the kind comments guys. I haven't done a lot lately because I've been dabbling with various other projects plus a busy Christmas and all. I'll try and get some more photos up soon if the weather obliges with some sunlight through the window.

Golant and the shed scene have been useful in building up my skills and I now hanker after something that 'works'. Having said that, both scenes are small enough to store easily so they will still be used for photos etc.

I've had several ideas for a new project and the decision has now been made. When the boards are built all will be revealed but for now I'll just say that it will be DCC and not in the West Country. To give a bit of a clue...

post-14258-0-69910800-1483647450_thumb.jpg

The weathering is not my work but was done by TMC who worked to a photo for me. (I don't have an air brush and have nowhere to use one if I did). In due course I'll add extra details like rusty brake blocks, oil on the motion, coal, fit and paint the brake gear etc.

By the way Mike I don't think you're "miles off the pace" at all and I do like those FGW HSTs - but not the Voyagers! My interests are far too cosmopolitan for the health of my wallet!

Archived