I am setting out to replace my current suburban layout with a similar sized industrial themed alternative.

Having read about the TBM segment ring plant built on Old Oak common, and it's future use as a stock facility, this is an ideal starting point for my next project.

Design criteria are as follows.

Must be transportable by one person.

Must fit in the back of a small van.

Minimum stock requirements,

Use existing trestles and control systems.

Have an unusual setting or theme, to appeal to exhibition managers.

Intricate and complex industrial setting.

Heavily weathered.

The layout will be around 7-8' x 2' and built on two baords.

A sector plate will be used to maximise operation and access fiddle yard.

The layout will be displayed at eye level.

It will be viewable from three sides.

Structures will be large and dominate the display.

I will attach some pictures of what I have in mind.

As can be seen from the attached pictures the process of pre casting the segments is undertaken in a brand new very large steel framed factory unit,

the concrete batching plant that is attached to it will be of a temporary nature but of a suitable size to cast the 120 units per day.

I intend to have a rail access to supply aggregates and cement in bulk. And also a rail access for the transportation of finished product ( likely hood is it will be road haulage in reality.)

So I need to incorporate a real rail access plant, not dissimilar to that at Watford.post-9901-0-67380300-1430945860_thumb.jpgpost-9901-0-28753200-1430945583_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-92657400-1430945596_thumb.jpg

Are you planning to model the concrete batching plant or just the yard where  the segments are stock piled. I used to work in a concrete plant in Ravensthorpe west yorkshire which is right alongside the railway and could easily be used as a rail connected plant. The company who own it are called Longleys and make  concrete panels, beams and sections. They make some sections for Network rail for flood protection, however all products are delivered by road. You can check it on google maps.

The track plan is based on an idea my brother brought to my attentionpost-9901-0-94655700-1430946036.jpg

What I want to do is be able to watch the operation from both sides, so I will copy the idea from my Castle works steel works layout and have the fiddle yard concealed in the buildings and locate them down the centre of the board with the sidings either side where the action would take place.

The track plan suits my needs well with a run round loop for interest, but I will add twin discharge sidings to the top of the plan.post-9901-0-39424500-1430946233.jpg

The green lines are the rails the dotted green is the hidden sidings up the middle beneath a steel building. Silos will add height, the scenic break will conceal access to the sector plate and will be the discharge she'd, and part of the main pre cast hall, and then the loading area.

Are you planning to model the concrete batching plant or just the yard where  the segments are stock piled.

As much of the batching plant as I can get down the centre of the 4' board, but yes if I can.

There are some cracking starting structures in the walthers range. But the main structure factory will be modelled in foam board and over clad in styrene steel sheeting

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Now here is a change.... Should start a new thread, but.... It sort of evolved from this so I'm sticking with it.

Vopak is almost finished so I need a next venture, I've had this idea for a while....there are two cross over sections contained within the channel tunnel.

Formed by expanding out from the tunnel into the surrounding Rock and forming a large void around 500' long.

Into which the two bores are then dismantled and the facility to cross over from each running line to another.

They have a fire door which is retractable, and various facilities.

What I fancy doing is creating a side on view into the box to see the stock flying through at speed. But the space that would be needed is s bit daunting and the amount of stock and the cost very restricting.

So here are some images that form the inspiration

post-9901-0-62897600-1441569542_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-73980900-1441569557_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-13252700-1441569574_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-10434500-1441569604_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-73036400-1441569621_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-10111000-1441569640_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-92688500-1441569657_thumb.jpg

The idea WAS to have a roundy roundy But it would take up to much space. So the proposed idea is to model the box during the construction process, with one running line installed, and some narrow gauge track in the remaining bore.

I can run a variety of existing infrastructure stock with a range of heritage power leased to TML.

I have a plan based on an end to end with a sector plate and a hidden siding, fitting into a normal layout space.

I've had a similar channel tunnel crossover inspired plan before, but meter gauge alps based. The idea was for an exhibitable g gauge RhB themed tunnel crossover using the channel tunnel design scissors with the side of the chamber being open and 2 smaller bores at each end for the running lines to disappear into. Stretching the fiction a little further, the overall imagined plan would have been this being where 2 single track tunnels from different destinations joined to head off to a third destination so there could be regular use of the crossing.

The fall down of the plan was similar to yours: the size. As a roundy it was very big and the envisaged regular use of the scissors made fiddle design a headache, but not impossible. A narrow gauge construction version like you describe would be scenically very interesting and challenging, but if it's mainline operations in a cut that appeals to you more then why not make it a fictional tunnel elsewhere that's long enough to need similar crossover boxes? Your stock options and variety become much easier.

• 2 weeks later...

If I build the batching plant as a mirror image of that shown, I can attach it to the left hand end of the tunnel layout, I can adapt the 009 section and it should only add around 500mm onto the layout,

By reducing the mid crossover section I can get back into my design length around 3.6m o/a.

Peco do concrete pad sleepers which can be used In the tunnel section, and use concrete points and track for the visible section in the middle.

It's coming together slowly.

Still the question of do I model it in HO.

I've been looking at the Heljan European cl 66 with sound for around £140.00. And as there was a German style shunter also used in the construction this might be the way to go for something different.

The tunnel bore is around 80mm dia. Standard drainage pipe is 110mm dia, and rain pipe around 68mm dia.

Could just roll my own as they say.

The cavern will need some consideration, I want to be able to see the individual tunnel segments that make up the rings, and I am wondering about exploring having them made up by 3D printing or from making resin castings. Neither of which I have ever done.

Any advise or ideas considered.

The tunnel bore is around 80mm dia. Standard drainage pipe is 110mm dia, and rain pipe around 68mm dia.

Could just roll my own as they say.

The cavern will need some consideration, I want to be able to see the individual tunnel segments that make up the rings, and I am wondering about exploring having them made up by 3D printing or from making resin castings. Neither of which I have ever done.

Any advise or ideas considered.

As someone who has spent an awful lot of time in the Tunnel over the last 22 years, can I say that the joints aren't that noticeable, and could be represented by simple scribed lines. Each normally has a couple of insets, where the manipulator arms located when they were positioned. There also used to be painted markings (sometimes stencilled, sometimes free-hand) indicating the batch number.

Standard-gauge rolling stock didn't appear in the Tunnel itself until after the bores were completed, with track-laying and concreting trains being first, then the trains dedicated to the various 'wet systems' and catenary. Until then, it was narrow gauge only, with twin tracks running to and from the TBM. During the fitting-out, not only were there locos and stock, but also DMMUs (an ex- Cardiff Valleys 108 on the UK side, and a couple of 'Picasso' railcars on the French side.

If you are having any figures standing about, the UK staff wore red boiler suits, whilst the French wore fawn/light brown coloured ones.

I have a copy of 'Channel Tunnel Trains', published by Eurotunnel, if that would be of use; it's got a lot of useful photos. I could bring it down next time I visit my mother in Penarth.

It depends if there's any room for compromise, FloPlast do 80mm pipe in white and black, but that's external dia. so I suspect the bore will be more like 76?

http://www.nationalplastics.co.uk/index.php/black-80mm-round-downpipe-4m-floplast.html

At least it would take a longitudinal cut and insertion of a spacer to get to 80mm if you wanted to, without too much work, and the cut could be hidden at the bottom.

Another interesting thread I shall be watching with interest.

Peter

EDIT P.S. Resin casts may be the answer to segments/lining rather than 3D?

I have a copy of 'Channel Tunnel Trains', published by Eurotunnel, if that would be of use; it's got a lot of useful photos. I could bring it down next time I visit my mother in Penarth.

Thank you Bri, I may well take you up on your kind offer. You can take a look at progress to boot,

Message me before hand and I'll give you the address, easy find I'm on the cowslip.

Referring to the fat controllers very informative post, I will endeavour to replicate British practice, but there will be a massive amount of modellers licence thrown willy nilly into this.

Track plan next........

Archived