The subject has been chosen and a colour photograph found to work from. Bachmann produced several livery versions of the 29 ton sliding door box van (COV AB, later VDA )and this one (38-141) is in Railfreight livery, numbered 200077. Paul Bartlett has many photographs of these on his website, and has given his permission for this photograph to be used in this blog.
The challenges are:
- Fade the reddish shade of brown to show age and wear
- Highlight areas of accumulated dirt
- Represent dark stains where lubrication has been a little too enthusiastic
- Add discolouration where chalk marks have been rubbed out
- Reproduce the various brown shades on the underframe