One job that I have been putting off for some time is improving the awful tepid green that Hornby use to spray their GWR locos, last year I had a first attempt using Simon's clear lacquer on a Hornby grange. The lacquer had been recomended elsewhere (I think @checkrail first mentioned it), but I have had mixed results. When it works it is a great product, however a couple of times (the aforementioned Grange and on the tender for my 43xx) the varnish has reacted badly and resulted in a crazy paving effect. I put this down to either spraying at the wrong tempreture, too much moisture in the air, or not shaking the can enough, so now will only use it in the warm after an extra long shake.
The intention today was to have another go at seeing how much it can improve the tepid Hornby green.
Here is my model of 6000 King George V taken not long after I renumbered / rebranded the tender.
I masked the smokebox, footplate and underframe (along with the cab windows) and gave a coat of the lacquer. The colour is still not perfect, but I think is a distinct improvement over the out of the box shade. with a little more richness to the colour. Eventually I still think they will all need to be repainted, however right now I think the loss of colour is made up for in the better quality OEM lining. The gloss black roof will get a coat of weathered black soon, while the rest of the black areas will get a degree of weathering eventually. My hope is that once weathered it will take the edge off the remaining annoyance from the colour. 6000 can now return to test duties on the layout, although at some point soon I really need to get round to fitting a Dingham into the tender as its about time I started testing with the planned couplings fitted!