After a lot of time messing about with 1990s TPO stock last night, I also found time to do a little more work on my 1947 coach projects
While there is still a lot of work to do to get these ready to enter service, the most pressing task is to finish the painting. This covers a number of areas: the black ends (tonight’s job), dirty underframes, the window frames and touch up work on the cream paint to fix where brown paint seeped under the masking. This last point was the focus last night.
Having received an order of paints from Amazon, I have some new colours to try out for GWR cream. This was formed from a base of something like 3 drops of Vallejo light sand and one drop of warm yellow (aiming to get a good match with Phoenix GWR cream). Once I got a colour that I was happy with I used a fine brush to touch up the damaged areas, along with a small piece of wrap around on the ends that needed to be cream. The area towards the ends of the sides lacked a deep finish in a couple of places, so here I repainted the whole panel.
8 coaches later and they are all now ready for lining, of course I haven’t nearly enough HMRS lining available so this is going to be a very slow process (initially only one side will be lined on each coach) It is my intention to buy a bow pen and learn how to use it to reduce the cost of this process whilst hopefully increasing the quality.
Tonight I am to make a start on window frames and ends, before returning to the chassis next week (at which point I really ought to knock up some couplings for them…)