Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

174 Good

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Location
    Corowa, New South Wales, Australia
  • Interests
    micro layouts, ho / oo scale, layout building, dcc, electronics, switching / shunting

Recent Profile Visitors

276 profile views
  1. Hi all. It's been a while since I posted something on this forum, so thought I would add a post about intricacies of operations on the Box Street layout. I've been having regular operating session on my various micro layouts for a while now, and am getting used to the somewhat quirky nature of switching the Box Street layout, and having to think a few moves ahead when operating it. Mostly this is necessary because of the smallness of the layout, and my need to move as many of 6 or so virtually interchanged cars on some operating sessions. With 6 or more cars the layout it can be some
  2. I have found that some DCC locos are more sensitive to dirt on the tracks or track geometry that has sections where there is no electric pickup (eg, frogs on slips and turnouts). Some of my US outline Bachmann DCC onboard can be a somewhat tempremental on those pieces of track even though they are all wheel pickup. By contrast my DC only Hornby 48DS (without the extra wagon for better electrical pickup) will go through most points without a problem inspite of it's being extremely short. I think part of the problem might be the loss of DCC signal that is caused by the temporary drop
  3. Today I uploaded my first video of the Box Street layout to YouTube, featuring an operating session with an Also S2 and 4 cars. The operating session featured in the video was done yesterday. Regards, James
  4. Here is a video I made of trains running on the layout.
  5. Scaling back the track arrangement on my 4×1 feet HO scale Box Street micro switching layout to be more similar to the track plan that inspired it and re-arrangement of industries. A few days ago, I was contemplating my Box Street micro layout, and thinking about how I can improve it. I was initially thinking about a totally new track arrangement based on a Peco 3 way turnout, but when I saw how much they cost I decided against that idea. I looked through the Carl Arendt authored books I have for small and micro layouts, and I happened upon the Boxer Shortline plan on which my Box
  6. Tropical palm and fern trees and some people add more life to a verdant tropical island HO scale micro layout. Since the last blog post about my Tropical Pizza layout, I have received and added tropical trees to the layout. I also found some HO size people to add to the layout, adding some much need human population to the layout. As a point of reference, here is the layout scenery before the trees and people were added. Harbour view Storage track Plantation Plantation passenger ‘station’ And here are the sa
  7. A recent video I uploaded to YouTube featuring an IDR NSWGR X200 and Walthers Plymouth ML-8 rail tractors on the layout. Regards, James
  8. A petite Plymouth for the HO scale Petra Pizza micro layout means no more large 4 axle diesels locos need to be used for motive power. For some time now I have wanted to find some motive power for the Petra Pizza micro layout that better suits the short trains sharp radius curves on it. I had been using GPs and FT-A which are somewhat over powered for the short trains, and the sharp curves caused a lot of overhang, and required a caboose between the loco and the other cars. Recently I ordered and received a Walthers Plymouth ML-8 4 wheel switcher (or is it a rail tractor?)
  9. Scenery progress on my HO scale micro tropical layout went slowly at first, but progress has sped up more recently. Since the last post about my Tropical Pizza layout, which technically is probably not really a “pizza” layout as it doesn’t have a continuous loop of track, I have been doing a lot of scenery work on it and have complete the very simple wiring. The progress had been slow for quite a while, but in the last week or so I have made a concerted effort to get as much scenery done on this layout as possible. Scenery work over the last week or so has progressed st
  10. A YouTube video I made of a train being 'operated' on the layout this afternoon.
  11. Recently I started creating some name boards using MDF lettering for my various micro layouts. Here is the one I made for the Pier 39 layout. Brooklyn, NY being the area the layout is supposed to represent. I couldn't easily acquire MDF numbers '3' and '9', so opted for the name of the place where the layout represents instead. Regards, James
  12. I did something similar with the modular layouts I had, including making the configuration flexible so that they could be in numerous configurations, so I could set up the layouts in various available spaces, from straight to 'L' shaped to 'U' shaped, by simply adding or removing or 'flipping' modules. There were 4 'core' modules, with other ones changed / constructed / scrapped according to space. Track plans / modules of my last modular layout are here if your interested: http://www.jimsmodeltrains.ws/dolton-illinook/ Regards, James
  13. I've had a number of modular layouts over the years. Definitely the way to go if you have to have flexibility to fit various sizes of available space.
  14. Recently I started creating some name boards using MDF lettering for my various micro layouts. Here is the one I made for the Petra Micro Pizza layout. The EMD / GM FT has a lot less overhang at the front and back than a GP3x / GP4x!
  15. Recently I started creating some name boards using MDF lettering for my various micro layouts. Here is the one I made for the Box Street Micro layout.
  • Create New...