Bramble End Inglenook Shunting Puzzle

Like many others in lockdown 2020 I found myself working from home which gave me more free time then I've had in several years, no more commuting or working away meant I had time to work on a small project. After two false starts with shed based layouts (one due to a house move and another due to the shed roof leaking) a small project was just the ticket to increase my enthusiasm for model railways again. 

It all started in April 2020 with a scale model scenery micro layout baseboard for my birthday.

IMG_7630.JPG.32da0a362d23f359031a74c3b86d9506.JPG

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, RobAllen said:

Looking good. Which electromagnets are those?

Thank you.

They're ones I ordered off eBay, very cheap and have enough pull for what I want. 

5V DC with a 2.5kg pull, about £5 each.

• Informative/Useful 1

I originally wanted a rural scene but with the crammed in nature of the scene due to the size I changed to an industrial look. The Scale Model Scenery low relief factory cut down with a cardboard packaging tube covered in brick paper fills this corner nicely. 

IMG_7662.JPG

• Like 11

Rather then use the same tired old backscene I used CAD which I use for my day job to alter the Peco townscene to make it look even more busy and industrial. Extra factories and chimneys inserted in and a rather menacing sky. 

Why are model railways set in glorious summer when a large part of the year the weather is generally either wet or certainly overcast and dull.

IMG_7677.JPG

• Like 8

The layout is looking good. I think I have blue skies as I only (selectively) remember summer holidays of wall to wall sunshine!  My wife is a farmer's daughter and assures me her summer holidays were when the weather broke and dad couldn't make hay...

Keep posting, it's nice to watch layouts as they develop.

8 hours ago, bazzer42 said:

The layout is looking good. I think I have blue skies as I only (selectively) remember summer holidays of wall to wall sunshine!  My wife is a farmer's daughter and assures me her summer holidays were when the weather broke and dad couldn't make hay...

Keep posting, it's nice to watch layouts as they develop.

Thank you. A friend described my backscene as being like a Lowry painting which I thought was very complimentary. 

Yes it's odd how we remember things in different ways.

I wanted the blend the backscene into the model so went with an ultra low relief terraced houses. 

Again using my works CAD I drew around the Peco houses and scaled them up and printed in layers with brick and paper tiles to build depth. 

A small earth bank and retaining wall will get to the track level.

IMG_7679.JPG

IMG_7680.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 07/12/2021 at 22:30, AKelsall said:

Like many others in lockdown 2020 I found myself working from home which gave me more free time then I've had in several years, no more commuting or working away meant I had time to work on a small project. After two false starts with shed based layouts (one due to a house move and another due to the shed roof leaking) a small project was just the ticket to increase my enthusiasm for model railways again. 

It all started in April 2020 with a scale model scenery micro layout baseboard for my birthday.

IMG_7630.JPG.32da0a362d23f359031a74c3b86d9506.JPG

Thanks for bringing this to my attention... I just had a look at the website and it looks good, quite reasonably priced.  I'd been thinking about a 'build a layout in a weekend' kind fo thing, and this would be a great start.  Otherwise, it'll take me the full weekend to knock together a badly fitting and slightly warped baseboard and backscene assembly, nevermind getting any track down!! 

3 minutes ago, MoonMonkey said:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention... I just had a look at the website and it looks good, quite reasonably priced.  I'd been thinking about a 'build a layout in a weekend' kind fo thing, and this would be a great start.  Otherwise, it'll take me the full weekend to knock together a badly fitting and slightly warped baseboard and backscene assembly, nevermind getting any track down!! 

I do recommend them. Not sure how it'll last long term but perfect for a quick start and an easy win which was just what I needed.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...