I'm not 100% happy with it. Perhaps I'm looking a little too close, and forgetting it's only an inch long. The weathering of the bodywork isn't a direct copy of this loco from the few pics I can find of it at Westbury - unique features, like rust patches etc, are copied from 08947, but general dirt is an amalgamation of several examples to give an overall look that I like.
First job was to faded the yellow on the ends. This was a wash of white gouache, with a damp cocktail stick being used to remove it from the black stripes. Next, the body was faded with an airbrushed coating of matt varnish with a drop of white paint mixed in. This gave the loco an overall dusty look, but soon disappeared once the surface texture was broken up. The underframe got a coat of weathered black, and the body drybrushed with faded Rail Blue. Weathered black and Sleeper Grime washes were applied to both, looking at where the dirt build up ont he real things. The oil streak in front of the cab, and the brown coating on the tops of the bodyside cabinets are both typical 08 weathering features to my eyes. Bufferbeam air pipes and the like were also attacked with weathered black. Adding these colours and washes removed the overall dusty look - before this it looked like it had been working in a quarry!
Once the paints had dried, I worked on greasing up the underframe. In the absence of grease from a real locomotive, a mixture of products were applied. First up were a few washes of Tamiya smoke paint - this dries to a nice sheen as well as working like a black wash to pick out detail. On top of this, a mix of Mig Smoke Black weathering powder and Johnson's Klear was applied around the axle mounts and btween the springs. I made it up very thin, a couple of brushfulls of Klear with only a tiny amount of pigment, scraped from the inside of the lid to get the bare minimum. I found the best way to gauge the finish was to test various mixes on a scrap of card. I discovered that making it up like a thick sludge, surprisingly the mix dries matt, but the Klear fixes the powders solidly to the model.
Anyway, back to the model. Once the mix had dried about 50%, I got a soft brush and moved horizontally, almost like a drybrush type of effect resulted. I also did this around the exhaust outlet to give the hard burnt on black deposits. Once dry, some powder was applied in the normal dry fashion with a soft brush for the smoky clag deposits on the roof. The shiny mix for the underframe was also applied over the diesel spill on the roof and bodyside to give a gentle sheen to it
I've spent a while looking at Pugsley's 08, well, 09, weathering and have found it rather useful guide, so thanks mate!
The idea of using Tamiya smoke and powders on the grungy underframe came from there, although used in a different way, it was deffinitely a pointer in the right direction
I couldn't find the customary penny, so a USB connector will have to do
As I said at the start, I'm not 100% happy with this one, if there's anything anyone can suggest that jumps out at them, please let me know!