• 4 months later...

And today's deliberate mistake is....

You know the old saw about measuring twice and cutting once? I wish I'd been more careful in measuring, that is, I should have measured the length of the chassis and used its measurement. As it is I am now faced with an unenviable choice: shorten the chassis or make a new footplate. I'd started a separate post under soldering, and can attest that it took me a good while and lots of tries to get to that footplate. Rats! Rethinking required (including "why not go out and buy one...?") 

Depressed

Cliff

post-2411-0-76631100-1461755882_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, Asterix - no, no further progress on this. 

I stalled over the crosshead. However, I've just got a price list from 'Branchlines' and see that they do single bar type, so I'm ordering some. They'll be for another locomotive, but might fit the bill. - Oh, I forgot that I was going to try some square section tubing....

I've been tracklaying and doing a couple of other projects including trying to accurately bend up sheet metal - nickel silver, actually - for a J1 that I've wanted to build. This has involved me in making a jog (now on mark 2) and torturing lots of rectangles of said nickel silver until I get it right. I attach a photo of mk 2 jig. 

J1 works photo - from From Stirling to Gresley exp.jpg

Mk 2 jig exp.jpg

Footplate bending trials exp.jpg

Footplate bending jig exp.jpg

Edited by Peppercorn

• 2 years later...

Well you couldn't accuse me of fast working. The trouble is I have a number of other things I want to do, for example, painting and learning the baritone sax, both of which are time sinks. 

However, I have made up the cylinders and their spacers together with slide bar - 1mm square section. Next is to make the crossheads, for which I have an idea, but this has to await the end of the forthcoming Christmas break. And speaking of which, Merry Christmas, all!2064372689_Cylinderswithsaddleandslidebars3.jpg.31f22eb35b5de5446f12b8790cdbdd6a.jpg

• Like 1