A searchlight story......

Which hood?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which hood should I put on the seachlight?

• Original parallel sided one
    • replacement tapered one

• RMweb Premium

Ah, yes you spotted it. I've never seen one before.... I hadn't though about where they would actually placed, but that makes complete sense now, thanks.

The ml is from Cressing

The Westinghouse is ex Manchester Vic

The hernia is an ex Ely Norwich intermediate block distant, but I don't know which one as of yet, if indeed I ever will..

Have looked a locations in the garden for signals, and now need to cut two lengths of pipe four feet long to act as posts for them. Then yet more painting...

Andy g

• RMweb Gold

I'll have seen your IB distant shining bright on many many occasions. Much better than those horrible LED types that blind you on clear nights then disappear in fog!

Man Vic had some strange signals ,horizontal signals,four aspects arranged in clusters to name a couple

• RMweb Gold

Your garden signal collection is a most normal mainstream thing to do with a garden (I had two at Sheringham) well when I say we are normal anything is compared to the garden toilet museum!!!

• RMweb Premium

Just before I came out to work I put on the Ely-> Norwich Signalbox DVD. So far the Hernia hasn't been shown in the bit between Ely and Thetford. I'll be watching the rest at somepoint tomorrow I think.

Garden Toilets, now that seems very sensible.......

Andy G

Your garden signal collection is a most normal mainstream thing to do with a garden (I had two at Sheringham) well when I say we are normal anything is compared to the garden toilet museum!!!

Presumably it's easy to get bogged down in the minutiae of collecting these things.

• RMweb Gold

Just before I came out to work I put on the Ely-> Norwich Signalbox DVD. So far the Hernia hasn't been shown in the bit between Ely and Thetford. I'll be watching the rest at somepoint tomorrow I think.

Garden Toilets, now that seems very sensible.......

Andy G

Is that the DVD that has footage of the last day?

If it is I'm on the 57 and I made a headboard

' farewell to arms ( and bulbs) ' for the occasion

• RMweb Premium

No its not. Its the one that Railfilms (?) made about a year before the end. I've not seen the final day footage, where did you get it?

At least with a collection of toilets in the garden, you'll never be caught short...

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

I've not actually seen the final days footage, but we stopped outside the box at Wymondham and filming under floodlights was taking place. I went in the box for a couple of minutes and had fresh sausage rolls and other stuff.

When I got on the phone at Norwich to Colchester I asked the signalman what food he was going to give me and I think he thought I'd lost the plot.

The former manager of the line may have some DVDs you know who I mean

• Like 1

You'll be needing much older footage. The head was replaced some ten to fifteen years ago. We collected a pile of heads from Norwich and they were stored first at Prickwillow then Arlesey then where you got it from!

• RMweb Premium

News from the signal works is this: The sighting board from the Hernia has been removed and straightened up, and then used as a template to make a steel sightboard for the ML one. Ok this will give it a sightboard of the incorrect pattern, but my mate likes the shape better, and its his railway!

The yellow lense has been removed from the ML and tried in the LMS housing to prove that it fits, which just now requires two blue lenses to be ordered from our supplier.

We have even been discussing post sizes and have come up with a plan.

Andy G

News from the signal works is this: The sighting board from the Hernia has been removed and straightened up, and then used as a template to make a steel sightboard for the ML one. Ok this will give it a sightboard of the incorrect pattern, but my mate likes the shape better, and its his railway!

The yellow lense has been removed from the ML and tried in the LMS housing to prove that it fits, which just now requires two blue lenses to be ordered from our supplier.

We have even been discussing post sizes and have come up with a plan.

Andy G

If it's a hernia you want i have one sitting on my workbench. The BPRS signal motor will pop anything out. Hernias, discs and even bones are at risk. I could do with getting off the bench sometime... Way beyond what i can do in my current state. I did put it on the bench by myself just before all my problems started..

• RMweb Premium

Well if it can wait a fortnight, we'll gladly land it on your foot for you...

I'm sure there is a lesson there somewhere....

Andy G

I'll second the statement about the "Metrovick Hernia"........... I have six 4 aspect MV signals in my stores which are made up from separate Red/Yellow and Green/Yellow 2 aspect heads which are unbelievably heavy for what they are.

• RMweb Premium

I've now given the searchlight another coat of black outside, and as that has dried I've reassembled bits back onto her.

The first bit was the sighting thingy on the top. This was bolted on and then painted to seal it:

post-8375-0-31899600-1463051629.jpg

Then the brackets for the sighting board. These both had to come off and be turned over as they were the wrong way round! The sighting board was then added, which gives this result:

post-8375-0-94553800-1463051732.jpg

This leaves me with a quandry. The hood that came with it is a plain parallel style one, which looks like this:

(sorry the picture is pants, I seem to have the shakes):

post-8375-0-01850100-1463051826.jpg

Or I can fit this one:

post-8375-0-77373700-1463051891.jpg

which looks like this when on the front of the case (It was hard to take a picture and hold it in place!)

post-8375-0-45367400-1463051912.jpg

This hood will need the face of the case drilling as it mounts up on the face with a ring.

I really don't know which one to use, I like the shape of the latter, but don't like the idea of drilling it again, but I also like the look of the one it came with. Help! Thoughts please.

The ring that holds the lense in has been plasma cut out, and I drilled it today and brought it home to be painted:

post-8375-0-77707700-1463052191.jpg

It's getting very close to the time when I can fit a lense and then put a mech in to see what the beam will look like.....

Andy G

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've just added a poll so you can help with my choice of hood. I may or may not taken any notice of the result mind!

As an aside I was thinking about the distant. To make it co-acting do I just drive it off the proving contacts in the searchlight head? This gives the slight chance that there will be a change of aspect on the distant as the searchlight changes from yellow to green. I'm guessing that usually a searchlight head would be proved for this application normally.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

I've done a tad more work on the signals today.

A parcel of burficated brass rivets arrived yesterday, so I could fit the new case seal to the searchlight case. I happened to have in stock some 13 mm stove rope, which looks just the job. Fitting it wasn't too hard, but getting the rivet through the rope was fiddly. I need to order some more for the rear door of the hernia, which appears to be held in by habit.

The other job was to measure out a cut the posts. The hernia will sit on a post four foot tall, the searchlight having a slightly taller one. The five inch pipe (left over flue pipe!) was dragged out, measured and cut. I ran out of time but did manage to mark out the foot for the hernia, this is a square of 6mm plate (left over from the new Rayburn back boiler), which will also also have some triangular gussets for support.

The searchlight post is just waiting on the boot to arrive...

This week I need to find a source for some BSW bolts and a pair of brass BSF bolts (for the hernias hoods, as replacements for two that have snapped off). Odd sizes required too, smaller than 1/4 BSW.

Andy g

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

Well I've managed to order some bolts, but I'm left with some that appear to be un-obtainable these days

I'm in need of at least 4 off 1 inch long 7/32" BSW hex headed bolts and 2 off 1 inch 1/4" BSF hex heads.

Has anyone got any knocking around in their odd bolt jam-jar please?

Andy G

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, I'm not going to spoil it for the readers, I'll do an update on Monday...

Its worth waiting for! (well I think so!)

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

As the Mrs is out for an hour or so, I thought I would take the opportunity to give a quick update.

Yesterday I visited a model engineer friend, who happens to have some interest in Railway Signalling. He also happened to have some Westinghouse searchlight heads like mine. After a lovely couple of hours wandering around the signal boxes in his garden (that control his 7 1/4" garden railway), I came away with this:

post-8375-0-89564800-1466237258.jpg

post-8375-0-63649700-1466237286.jpg

post-8375-0-68978000-1466237308.jpg

What is it? Well you all know it is a searchlight mech, but what sort?

post-8375-0-09055200-1466237368.jpg

Yeap, the one that fits my signal head! Woppeee!

Heres a bit of a tour of tour of the rest of it:

post-8375-0-81007500-1466237429.jpg

Heres the lower part of the front:

post-8375-0-93717800-1466237455.jpg

And the rear, showing the contacts:

post-8375-0-60263800-1466237499.jpg

The reflector and bulb:

post-8375-0-49156300-1466237548.jpg

Lookiing through the vane from the rear:

post-8375-0-19659400-1466237583.jpg

And the front:

post-8375-0-76926400-1466237603.jpg

post-8375-0-50449600-1466237617.jpg

post-8375-0-05085700-1466237632.jpg

So out with the Hornby controller again to see if it works:

Red does:

post-8375-0-83523200-1466237681.jpg

post-8375-0-63281400-1466237697.jpg

Yellow does:

post-8375-0-67105200-1466237732.jpg

post-8375-0-82468100-1466237744.jpg

Green does:

post-8375-0-29454000-1466237768.jpg

post-8375-0-93451900-1466237784.jpg

The case design isn't quite as nice as the Metro-vick ones, theres no handle, just the locating bits:

On top:

post-8375-0-47206500-1466237856.jpg

And at the sides:

post-8375-0-05672300-1466237888.jpg

I'm a happy bunny!

Andy G