Wagon identification questions

• RMweb Gold

I have these whitemetal wagon castings but can't identify them.

I think that they might be of Great Northern Railway or LNER prototype.

The top left one would seem to need half planking added. Seems odd to have been cast like this.

Can anybody help please?

Thanks.

post-6728-0-56664300-1435173908_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Several possible makers for these - Late 60's or early 70's I think.

Do you have any packaging at all?

Top left is a Cattle van - possibly Midland or LMS - you had to add wire across the inside to complete the sides.

Top right is a Van - doors make me think NE type.

Bottom is a Fruit Van - Looks like another NE type.

Not sure which make but could be from different manufacturer:-.

Sutherland, Cotswold, K's, Nucast all spring to mind.

Thanks

I am pretty certain the first one is not a D&S GER cattle van, indeed I don't think it is any cattle van at all. I can't recall any cattle van that had full height cross bracing, and in this case the door would also be full height with no drop flap for the animals to use.

The style of this, and the third, kit is reminiscent of the old MWC range, which was one of the first to supply etched w irons, rather than casting them with the sides, as per the second one. At least one of their genuine cattle vans came with no boards cast where there were several with gaps between, which made casting difficult. Instead your were given precut lengths of plastic sheet, which had to be glued to the inside of the framing. I wonder if this is some ventilated van, in which the plastic strips would form the ventilated section.

Although the third kit could be a Highland van, there are probably lots of other equally likely candidates, and the Cotswold kit I have is moulded in plastic!

• RMweb Premium

The top right one could well be a GW one from the period before flat crossbracing on the ends was replaced by angle iron bracing. The sides look very GW. Could it be ABS/4most?

The roof profile of the lower one is very curved, should be a clue.

Jonathan

I am pretty certain the first one is not a D&S GER cattle van, indeed I don't think it is any cattle van at all. I can't recall any cattle van that had full height cross bracing, and in this case the door would also be full height with no drop flap for the animals to use.

The style of this, and the third, kit is reminiscent of the old MWC range, which was one of the first to supply etched w irons, rather than casting them with the sides, as per the second one. At least one of their genuine cattle vans came with no boards cast where there were several with gaps between, which made casting difficult. Instead your were given precut lengths of plastic sheet, which had to be glued to the inside of the framing. I wonder if this is some ventilated van, in which the plastic strips would form the ventilated section.

Although the third kit could be a Highland van, there are probably lots of other equally likely candidates, and the Cotswold kit I have is moulded in plastic!

To honest, these castings are bit too square to be MWC ! You're right about Cotswold wagons having plastic bodies and I'm now wondering if the lower one is a D&S NER perishables / fish van of some description.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks again chaps.

I've now found the instructions for two of them!

post-6728-0-70714800-1443618118_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-01044500-1443618148_thumb.jpg

And the plain sided one is one of these: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1263/entry-11025-lner-fish-trains/

LNER diagram 143

Going up on Ebay as they're two old a period for me. Hoping that the D & S 'desirability magic' works to help pay for all those lovely 'must haves' coming out!

Archived