PW work in 1962 at West Ealing - does 'Eagre' mean anything?

Rail-Online

Wasn't there a company called "Grant-Lion Eagre" whoo got involved in PW maintenance years ago ??

ISTR they had a number of ex-SR Walrus registered under the BR Pxxxxx number series

EDIT

The origins of this lot..............

http://www.volkerrail.co.uk/en/about-us/history-and-growth

Wasn't there a company called "Grant-Lion Eagre" whoo got involved in PW maintenance years ago ??

ISTR they had a number of ex-SR Walrus registered under the BR Pxxxxx number series

That was what came to my mind as well.

Yep, Scunny based, main depot is round the corner from where I live, but they now own the old Frodingham (FH) depot, where they store track based plant. Interesting to look over the wall at the main part and see 12":1' turnouts being built on site for forward transport.

Eagre was the Norse god of the sea spelled Eagir, and the bore on the river Trent is still known locally by that name.

They are now part of Volker-Rail.

One of my favourite books, Mainline Lament, about the old GC, has a photo of one of their buses carrying crew along the old GC trackbed south of Rugby, during tracklifting.. The caption mentioned the irony of a company based on one of the GC's outposts dismantling the main line.

Archived