Another Dumb Question. Help to Identify Cab Roof Details!?

F-UnitMad

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2861735

I am in the process of 'improving' a Weaver Geep, to represent this CSX machine; #2810, still in YN2, linked to above.

That's about the best overhead view I can find of it on the web; my question is concerning the cab roof details - what are they??

I know the long thin thing at the middle/ rear is a radio antenna, but what type? (Not 'firecracker' I assume.) Then over the Fireman's side what's the round thing with a black pipe (conduit?) out the back?

I'm a bit stuck as without the proper names for these bits, an internet search for better, close-up pics of them is a bit futile, & the details listings of shops like P&D & Des Plaines don't tend to put up pictures, so you need to know the exact name of the part to order the correct bit - if it's available! Otherwise a bit of scratch-bodging will be required, hence a need for better pictures!!!

Help!!!! :help:

Those white cab roofs aren't helpful for detail pics are they!

Towards the back in the middle is what i'd call a "skate" antenna (looks a bit like an ice skate) - I think the locals would call it a Sinclair - try Details West RA274

Above the engineers numberboard is a smaller similar one, you could try RA275, but it may look a bit chunky in that location?

In the middle of the conductors side is a small dome, try GP321 - not sure you'll need all the parts but the enclosed dome and the conduit look applicable.

Google Details West and those part numbers to see images of the parts, hope that helps!

The small antenna above the number board is a sinclair antenna, made by Sinclair.

The larger similar antenna in the centre rear of the cab is a STI-CO 220MHz antenna.

The piece of domes and conduit is GPS equipment, cannot remember the manufacturer, may be early STI-CO.

The latter 2 parts are all for PTC.

Des Plaines Hobbies and P&D Hobby are the best online sources I've found for detail parts. Brands to look for include Cal Scale, Miniatures by Eric, Detail Associates, PSC, Irish Tracklayer, Details West as mentioned above, etc. Des Plaines took over one or more of these lines to start off their O Scale America detail parts line, can't remember which, sorry.   :scratchhead:

http://www.desplaineshobbies.com/store/category/23/71/O-Scale-Detail-Parts/

http://pdhobbyshop.com/show_manufacturer.php?category=Trains&sub_category=%26quot%3BO%26quot%3B%20Scale%202%20Rail&sub_sub_category=Detailing%20Parts

http://pdhobbyshop.com/show_products.php?category=Trains&sub_category=%26quot%3BO%26quot%3B%20Scale%202%20Rail&sub_sub_category=Detailing%20Parts&manufacturer=Miniatures%20by%20Eric

If you want modern comnplete cab roof "antenna farms", Bill Davis of American Scale Models sells them made up and painted (I think they're over-supply from Overland). Not sure if he sells online but I have seen them at shows.

http://americanscalemodels.com/O/O_DETAIL_PARTS/O_Diesel_Parts

HTH

Pete

Interesting how subtle the weathering is, usual light grime for trucks and fuel tank. But look at the hood door hinges, is that white paint or some type of grease on the hinges. It would be a very easy addition on a model (particularly O gauge) also note the nose appears to have had a partial repaint, missing just the battery box and an area on the side of the nose. Also  showing traces of blue on the roof just behind the cab and on the fans. Just need to find a CSX GP38-2 now!

From other pics I found of 2810, it used to have some kind of square tank or box on top of the battery box, in front of the driver's window. Seems to me the 'rough' yellow paint is a quick touch up once the box was removed, which also seems to have involved replacement of the top of the battery cover, as that panel is grey & shows signs of mig welding around the edges.

I assume the top cover of the air filter is off a YN3 loco possibly?, as it's blue rather than grey.

Can anyone tell me why the front side panels to the battery boxes have a slot along them near the top? The one one the other side is the same.

Even between pics of this loco taken in 2011 & 2013 there are differences! I think my model will represent it as it was on June 31st, 2012. ;)

It's a former Conrail loco, so the cab signalling box is very likely.

The slotted battery boxes were a Chessie feature, presumably to do with ventilation? Many (most? all?) Chessie 2nd gen EMDs seemed to have the feature. 
Presume they have been swapped in from another loco as they aren't a Conrail feature! Looking at rrpicturearchives it looks like they were added circa 2007?

It's a former Conrail loco, so the cab signalling box is very likely.

The slotted battery boxes were a Chessie feature, presumably to do with ventilation? Many (most? all?) Chessie 2nd gen EMDs seemed to have the feature. 

Presume they have been swapped in from another loco as they aren't a Conrail feature! Looking at rrpicturearchives it looks like they were added circa 2007?

This photo shows the cab signalling box and non-slotted battery box covers.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1341440

and again in YN2 in 2006

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=364681

and Feb 2007

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=666223

by Aug 2007 the cab signalling box was gone and the slotted battery box cover was there

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=844605

Adrian

Note that the cab signalling boxes were for use on the Pennsylvania Railroad main lines. These lines went to PC, meaning that some PC new builds and some former NYC locos got them. PC was absorbed into Conrail, so some Conrail new builds got them. When Conrail was split between NS and CSX in 1999, the former PRR lines went to NS, so CSX no longer needed the cab signal boxes. Some NS locos still have them. 

There are two main styles of box - one with two straps and a longer one with three straps.

Adrian

I'm beginning to realise how deep into unfamiliar waters I'm getting with this loco... all those Foreign names for a start :O

Chessie, Conrail, Penn Central, NYC, NS.... ???

All I needed to know before was SOO, Milwaukee (as in 'Ex'), CP Rail and Wisconsin Central... :yes: :sungum:

Even between pics of this loco taken in 2011 & 2013 there are differences! I think my model will represent it as it was on June 31st, 2012. ;)

And not 29th February 2013?  or 1st April 2016?

After all, comedy modelling is timeless and has its place here as well as there.

This looks like an orginal Chessie heritage unit not a former CR - look at the slot in the battery box.

Unless of course there has been some swapping of parts....

If you follow the history back in the images it was ex Conrail, and didn't have the slotted doors till 2007...

I'm beginning to realise how deep into unfamiliar waters I'm getting with this loco... all those Foreign names for a start :O

Chessie, Conrail, Penn Central, NYC, NS.... ???

All I needed to know before was SOO, Milwaukee (as in 'Ex'), CP Rail and Wisconsin Central... :yes: :sungum:

Here is the primer on those (and related lines) in a simplistic form and leaving out a bunch of minor (and not so minor*) players:

post-206-0-87273200-1440414389.jpg

Adrian

*like the rest of the constituents of CR

Just to see how many mergers/acquisitions NS has been involved in, see their heritage livered locos. I count 21 plus the current livery. It's been said many times before, pictures of you're chosen loco at the time you model are the only real way of getting it right!

post-13564-0-83948700-1440423111.jpg

DL&W

Erie

became Erie Lackawanna

PRR

NYC

became PC

PC

Erie Lackawanna

CNJ

LV

RDG

Monongahela

became Conrail

CofG

Interstate

Norfolk Southern

Savannah and Atlanta

were part of the Southern system

Illinois Terminal

NYC&StL (NKP)

Wabash

Virginian

were part of the N&W system

Bold names are the NS heritage units.

Adrian

Duluth S Shore & Atlantic plus  Minneaplolis St Paul & Sault Ste Marie (SOO) plus Wisconsin Central (old) = SOO (1961)

Chicago Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific plus SOO = SOO (1986)

Minneapolis Northfield & Southern plus SOO = SOO (1982)

WC spun off from SOO 1987

Green Bay & Western plus Algoma Central plus WC = WC (1995)

WC plus CN = CN (2001)

SOO plus CP = CP (1990)

Dakota Minnesota  & Eastern plus Delaware & Hudson plus CP = CP (2008)

Duluth S Shore & Atlantic plus  Minneaplolis St Paul & Sault Ste Marie (SOO) plus Wisconsin Central (old) = SOO (1961)

Chicago Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific plus SOO = SOO (1986)

Minneapolis Northfield & Southern plus SOO = SOO (1982)

WC spun off from SOO 1987

Green Bay & Western plus Algoma Central plus WC = WC (1995)

WC plus CN = CN (2001)

SOO plus CP = CP (1990)

Dakota Minnesota  & Eastern plus Delaware & Hudson plus CP = CP (2008)

:rolleyes: I could have told you that... :D ;)

Archived