Rotherhurst - A slice of Southern in Norway

SR Rich

Had no idea photobucket was down! But we hope you enjoyed your read :)

Unfortunately there is very little progress for us to show now, as our attentions have moved over to our rolling stock projects, and also we havn't really decided what we'll do next on the layout. Although there are some people waiting to be painted and placed around which I might start on tomorrow as my rolling stock projects have halted due to waiting for a few bits and pieces to arrive from the UK.

Stuart

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, due to the terrible weather, Father Christmas has had to substitute his sleigh for something ground based and a little less susceptible to the wind!

IMG_20161225_220357_zpsctbvcfsk.jpg

With this we would like to wish all our followers a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :)

Stuart and Richard

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Not a lot is happening on the layout at the moment, we have got side tracked building rolling stock, see out other workbench thread.

We have not posted for a while, so I decided to post up a couple of pictures with a Bulleid theme on the layout.

IMG_3624_zpswjzqwkrc.jpg

IMG_3622_zpsu2gaww64.jpg

If you want to know more about the Leader, the BoB makeover or the kit built coaches ( behind the Leader) take a look at our workbench thread. Second of the links below.

Richard

Edited by SR Rich
  • Like 4

I have just found this thread. What an outstanding layout. Some lovely "railway in the landscape" on the right hand side of the layout. Well thought out and executed. Thanks for sharing and good luck with future improvements.

Hi

Thank you for your kind comments.

I am glad you like our layout, plans for the future are working signals and uncouplers around the layout, so that we can operate the layout without too much of the "hand of god" :derisive:

All the best

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

It's been a while since the last post, this time I am  asking for a little help and advice.

I am turning my thoughts to signalling of "Rotherhurst", I have been doing some research and this is what I have come up with so far, I would appreciate it  if someone can tell me if I am right or wrong and what else i might need.

Below is a simplified track plan.

Signalling%20Rotherhurst_zpsoqcoovh0.jpg

As the layout is based on Seaton, I have used the signalling diagram for that station as a guide.

The bracket home signal (Picture A), do I need another ground signal on the bracket for trains into the goods sidings or is it a single ground signal mounted under the bracket on the home signal post, which controls both the up and down sidings.

Picture B is the signal for the home starter for No 1 & 2 road, with the bracket centered on the post, as in picture A.

Picture C for goods starter and advance starter, if they are needed!

No 1 & 2 points would maybe have hand levers, as they are in the goods yard.

Ground signal at point no 6, I am not sure if more are needed.

signals_zpsyy5b2o3h.jpg

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

It's been a while since the last post, this time I am  asking for a little help and advice.

I am turning my thoughts to signalling of "Rotherhurst", I have been doing some research and this is what I have come up with so far, I would appreciate it  if someone can tell me if I am right or wrong and what else i might need.

Below is a simplified track plan.

Signalling%20Rotherhurst_zpsoqcoovh0.jpg

As the layout is based on Seaton, I have used the signalling diagram for that station as a guide.

The bracket home signal (Picture A), do I need another ground signal on the bracket for trains into the goods sidings or is it a single ground signal mounted under the bracket on the home signal post, which controls both the up and down sidings.

Picture B is the signal for the home starter for No 1 & 2 road, with the bracket centered on the post, as in picture A.

Picture C for goods starter and advance starter, if they are needed!

No 1 & 2 points would maybe have hand levers, as they are in the goods yard.

Ground signal at point no 6, I am not sure if more are needed.

signals_zpsyy5b2o3h.jpg

Richard

Your bracket signal B is missing some calling on and shunt signals.

Calling on discs / arms allow a loco to run back into a part occupied platform - a main signal arm when in the proceed position indicates to a driver the line is clear right up to the buffer stops

A shunt signal, when giving a proceed indication tells the driver that the line ahead may already occupied by vehicles (I.e. The same as a call on)

An example of a shunt signal mounted on a bracket signal is shown in photo A - in this case it gives access into the down sidings at Horsted Keynes. However such a signal could also act as a call on into an occupied platform where such a bracket signal located on the approach to platforms.

Your bracket signal B is missing some calling on and shunt signals.

Calling on discs / arms allow a loco to run back into a part occupied platform - a main signal arm when in the proceed position indicates to a driver the line is clear right up to the buffer stops

A shunt signal, when giving a proceed indication tells the driver that the line ahead may already occupied by vehicles (I.e. The same as a call on)

An example of a shunt signal mounted on a bracket signal is shown in photo A - in this case it gives access into the down sidings at Horsted Keynes. However such a signal could also act as a call on into an occupied platform where such a bracket signal located on the approach to platforms.

Hi

Thank you for your help and explanations, I was a bit lost with the terminology but have since looked through my Southern Signals book again and now understand what you have written about.

Thanks again for your help, I have a little more planning to do.

Richard

That Leader certainly looks good in that Southern livery. Though i wonder if in reality it would have ended up in mixed traffic black?

Hi Kelly

You could be right there but you have to remember that the Merchant Navies were classed as a mixed traffic engine ;) to begin with and they were not painted mixed traffic black.

As you say it looks good in the Southern livery.

Richard

Edited by SR Rich

Hi Kelly

You could be right there but you have to remember that the Merchant Navies were classed as a mixed traffic engine ;) to begin with and they were not painted mixed traffic black.

As you say it looks good in the Southern livery.

Richard

True, though i think some of that was porkies on Bulleid's part to the MoS.

They'd have suited the lined black the LMS twins got too really, or even the two tone green probably. But SR green does work well.

I suspect they'd have been used like most tank engines were in the far western reaches of the SR network where electrification wasn't viable.

• 2 years later...

Hello all

A long time since we posted anything on here.

Since the last post we have started 2 layouts, one OO9/ OO interchange layout 22 cms x 160cms nearly finished ( i don't think any layout is quite finished), the other is a WIP quayside layout.

On to Rotherhurst, I have now built the signals for he layout all working and lit, below is a couple of pictures (its is my first attempt at building signals)

2082029650_IMG_4020(2).JPG.f8831a910e200399b877e96bac1bc21f.JPG

Both these pictures are before connecting up the servos, so the arms are not necessarily in the right place.

475142438_IMG_4021(2).JPG.59e8fba593c5051215bdc8a8671e359b.JPG

Edited by SR Rich
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 5 months later...

Hello

We are making more sections scenic on the layout, first is a drawing of the eventual plan for exhibiting the layout(s).

836300829_Exhibitionsetup.jpg.dee3a69ba8226230737d8202264fd1c2.jpg

The two sections marked as main layout has already been covered earlier in this thread.

The fiddle yard is in the process of being made into a scenic section, this will be a yard area with a 2 road shed in the center with an low relief factory  as a back scene, more pictures of this will follow when it is completed.

The loop, which we use for turning the trains so that they face the right way when going onto the main part of the layout, This has been made into a countryside scene with a part ploughed field and another field modeled with the ridge and furrow farming system. With a oo9 track and a cassette system for changing rolling stock behind the back scene.

As you can see here we have he ploughing engines in the middle, the ridge and furrow field at the back on the right, the OO comes in from the left and then lops around under the hill and the OO9 comes in from the right from another layout and disappears through the back scene at the back to the cassette system.

446057671_20200324_181942(2).jpg.ca320c9cdc1389d3a4d655e229adc8e5.jpg

I will post up more pictures  of the loop which is actually named Rotherhurst Junction and other sections of the layout later.

Richard

Edited by SR Rich
  • Like 7

Hello

This is the OO9 part, totally fictional interchange station named Rother Gate, it is about 160 cms by 25 cms wide plus a small cassette fiddle area, that plugs onto pattern makers dowels and clips on the end.

I apologize for the quality of the pictures.

This is how it is at home, the fiddle yard on the left just clips on, so it is very easy to put on and off.

The left side can be  joined onto the loop for a longer run for the OO9 trains, the right side has been designed to join up with Stuart's OO quay side layout which is currently being worked on.

144204471_thumbnail(2).jpg.7ef753acebd395170f0c2dae0bfd1b16.jpg

This shows the layout of the track work, On the left is OO, In this picture, it is joined to Stuarts quay side layout, for more interesting running and also the track is controlled from the other layout.

The OO9 side, the left hand track rises to the platform, so that the floor of the wagons are the same height as the platform, the two tracks on the left are for the OO9 platform.

This was still being worked on when this picture was taken.

606974635_longshot.jpg.fe6432841f86d60fce72c5df95ce98e1.jpg

This is the right side of the layout where the OO exits behind the water tower. You can also see where the siding has been raised up so that the wagons are the right height for unloading onto the center platform and the foot crossing for passengers to change trains.

313807548_oo9end.jpg.f781457b179a65105eb8684a1a5199d3.jpg

The track has now been painted and other finishing touches have been added.

If you would like to see more of this layout let me know and I can add some more pictures.

• Like 6

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

Yes we are at MJmessen this year with all the layouts and a few electrical upgrades.

We are still on DC, we like the challenge and the main reason is we have too many locos to chip, when we get round to O gauge then I think we will venture into DCC.

If you are going to the messen,  come and say hi.

Richard

Hello

We have been exhibiting the layout(s) at the Bergen (Norway) model railway exhibition this last weekend, here are a few photos of the layout in the order they are joined together, you can refer to the drawing in the post from May 6th.

This is Rotherhurst the main and first part and has been well documented earlier in this thread.

504644629_IMG_4566(2).JPG.805f473eb8dc706d9f9280d75fea0ead.JPG

The next couple of pictures are the fiddle yard, 7 tracks, The one on the right is used for running through to the loop/ Rother Junction for turning the trains so they always come to the station engine first, 3 for goods trains and 3 for Passenger trains.

The fiddle yard has/is undergoing a large upgrade currently, the point motors have been changed from seep to slow acting point motors so we can have single button for selecting the track required and sensors in the track and lights on the control panel to let us know which track is occupied.

1702282367_IMG_4568(2).JPG.0293e899f4cdd894e76dcc5063cee116.JPG

570002716_IMG_4567(2).JPG.bc095e9e9aaefef950a5bc6dfdf47694.JPG

The next picture is the Loop or Rother Junction, again mentioned earlier in the thread, this is a loop of track returning the train to the fiddle yard engine first. This is also where the OO9 starts before running onto Rothergate.

1278577349_IMG_4569(2).JPG.eb6bafd630c0b76c67c6e6daa0ff446b.JPG

This is Rothergate my first OO9 layout, it is a fictitious interchange station, the OO9 is at the front with OO coming in behind.

575045201_IMG_4570(2).JPG.0862bc2fc8695b11e340f2c7f4aa5494.JPG

1080162071_IMG_4574(2).JPG.76edf757f8913be359556d1200c889c2.JPG

I will continue the tour on the next post.

Edited by SR Rich
  • Like 6

OK continuing the tour, the next part is a corner to connect  Rotherhurst to Rother Quay.

The two tunnels on the left come from Rothergate, then two  tracks merge there into dual a gauge track over the viaduct and on through the tunnel on the right into Rother Quay. The viaduct is based on the one that connected the mainland to Hayling Island near Portsmouth.

If you look through one of the arches of the viaduct, you can see seals resting on the mudflats.

268622436_IMG_4577(2).JPG.54e9179026651ef56653dbfa9546079a.JPG

1620170169_IMG_4575(3).JPG.38732e1b02d6cdb3619960539f014b6d.JPG

This final picture is the corner and Rother Quay, this is Stuarts work in progress quay side layout.

780978394_IMG_4576(2).JPG.8a90d4bfbeb6b9a7597138a37e5548f8.JPG

That's it for now, I you have any questions, please get in touch.

Edited by SR Rich
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Now there's a thing you don't see often in the UK. A 'modular' set of layouts creating a whole. These look excellent. I especially like the Trestle Bridge unit.

I first encountered this idea in Poland (Krakow MRC) where many members have their own little section that they build in co-operation with others, in an overall plan so that they all join up, almost seamlessly.

It means that someone can produce a small diorama, as many live in Flats or smaller houses and /or do not have much space, that they can play with at home. Then, they bring them together at exhibition, sometimes as many as a dozen sections. This means they don't have to invite loads of other layouts as well!!!!!

Seems like a common thing to do in Europe and the U States IIRC??

P

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/09/2021 at 17:15, SR Rich said:

Hi

Yes we are at MJmessen this year with all the layouts and a few electrical upgrades.

We are still on DC, we like the challenge and the main reason is we have too many locos to chip, when we get round to O gauge then I think we will venture into DCC.

If you are going to the messen,  come and say hi.

Richard

I never got to Bergen, ended up in Ireland for a wedding instead. 

Next time I'm in Bergen, I'll get in touch, not many building UK style in Norway so we need to stick together :)

The modules look great, and I love the fact that you have built a 360 consept, perfect for exhibitions! 

• 2 months later...

Hello

The Rotherhurst part of the layout has now been featured in the Norwegian model railway magazine MJ Bladet, with very nice pictures and a write up by Stuart.

As all modellers know a layout is never finished :D, after a successful exhibition I decided to change some of the points on Rotherhurst (only 2 remained).

Firstly I ripped out the run round points between platform 1 and the engine shed road, these were 2nd radius  (very old 30yrs +) and replaced with medium length streamline points.

This picture shows the points having been taken out, before cutting he track back to accommodate the longer points and moving the uncoupler further along the track.

20211205_144718.jpg.93749526f67a3b68fff46530d4ffff7d.jpg

The second point taken out was at the start of the cattle dock siding, again 2nd radius (very old 30yrs +) replaced with a medium length streamline point, this took out a sharp curve which again certain locos did not like.

The picture below shows where the point was taken from with the tight curve on the left side.

011.jpg.f9f87ba3ef970d4d547caf333d5e26be.jpg

The third and largest part of the relaying was at the beginning of the station, I took out two 2nd radius (very old 30yrs +) and a Y point in this area and replaced those with a 3 way and a medium length curved point on the engine shed road.

This is again a picture straight after taking up the track, the position of the curved point on the left is adjacent to where it will be in the track.

013.jpg.d2105dacc12ec115815f0061b564948f.jpg

I will show you the new layout in the next post, I have nearly used all the MB's for the pictures.

Richard

Edited by SR Rich
  • Like 3

Ok, following on from the previous post.

The picture below shows track laying complete.

The new point in the goods yard now gives a much gentler curve into the cattle dock siding.

The three way point gives a cleaner looking way to the station platforms and engine shed road.

The biggest change is the length of the farm siding on the right, we can now store 3 coaches and uncouple the engine with the new uncoupler ( a bit more play-ability).

015.jpg.a740b8e0a603d4aaef00109e8f3794d3.jpg

The next job was then to move point motors, uncouplers to their new positions and new electrical connections for the track either side of where the layout joins.

I then had a go at rewiring the control panel, now this is not a strong area for me :scratchhead:, one step forward and two back but I did it nearly, I have to get the expert in to get the control panel  illuminated again, oops :D

The picture below is where I started, a before to the after above.

IMG_2976.JPG.bacc84364deecaf00f7423dce860843b.JPG

I am much happier with the layout because my kit built locos run a lot better and without derailing.

As usual, if you have any questions I will try and answer them.

Richard

Edited by SR Rich
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 2