Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

I have been trying to think of lines where class 165s would run parallel with tube stock in leafy surroundings, and can only come up with the service on the lines through Amersham.

Am I correct? And is it possible to narrow it down a bit. There appears to be a small station in the distance.

post-4474-0-28314900-1443862249_thumb.jpg

At first I thought this might be Hither Green, but I seem to remember there being third rail all around the depot.

Maybe it could be the older part of Salisbury?

post-4474-0-07501800-1443947549.jpg

Hither Green I think - see http://www.kentrail.org.uk/hither_green_depot_2.html (2nd picture) for a comparison.

The right-hand 33 looks like a 33/2, and those tended not to stray too far from the SE division before the mid-80s or so.

Edited by eastwestdivide

At first I thought this might be Hither Green, but I seem to remember there being third rail all around the depot.

Maybe it could be the older part of Salisbury?

attachicon.gif33xxx 1975.jpg

All the running lines around the shed and adjacent PW yard were electrified, but the third-rail didn't extend to the loco depot tracks. No reason for it to; units were/are dealt with at Grove Park, whilst the 'pure' electrics were based at Stewart's Lane.

Well, thankyou. It seems that maybe I should not doubt my first thoughts on locations.

However, I would not entirely agree with the 33/2s not straying from the SE division, because a quick look at my notes for 1967/8 show that I saw D6592/3/4/6 on Cliffe - Uddingston cement trains as far north as Lincolnshire at that time; which means they would have reached York on a regular basis.

• RMweb Gold

Well, thankyou. It seems that maybe I should not doubt my first thoughts on locations.

However, I would not entirely agree with the 33/2s not straying from the SE division, because a quick look at my notes for 1967/8 show that I saw D6592/3/4/6 on Cliffe - Uddingston cement trains as far north as Lincolnshire at that time; which means they would have reached York on a regular basis.

Point - but I bet they were straight back on the return empties or whatever, not sitting in a depot remote from home. In that era the Slimline Cromptons were closely monitored.

Fair point, but exception rather than the rule I suspect, and to be fair, I did say "tended not to" (sitting on the hedge/fencing my bets)!

I wondered if this might be in the Healey Mills area, but I am only guessing really?

And somewhat unlikely as 37717 was a Cardiff based loco.

attachicon.gif37717 6:90.jpg

You could well be right about it being the Healey Mills area; there was a regular 'Metals' sector service from Tees yard to Cardiff, which I believe also served Cobra at Wakefield. Not unlikely that Cardiff/Thornaby locos would work through.

Sorry Shadow. I already looked at that, but with so many references to places in the USA (whether I tried to exclude them or not) and not knowing the location of the building, I gave up.