Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

Do you mean ADB975032?  Ex-M75165?

It might be, but I can't quite read the numbers.

Edited, to add that on looking again at the original, it looks like ADB977385 which in my book is a Willesden based Sandite unit.

Edited by jonny777

I am going back over 50 years with this one.

I know from the locos (and from SixBellsJunction) that this is the 24th June 1962 and the Sussex Coast Limited run by the LCGB.

30055 was only attached to the train for the Eastbourne - Polegate - Rotherfield section, so the photo must be somewhere on this route. My knowledge of Sussex stations is around 'nil', so does anyone recognise this location?

post-4474-0-47302300-1445084439_thumb.jpg

Here is another mystery to me.

This photo was obviously taken at a scrapyard or depot scrap-line, with units awaiting cutting up. The green livery suggests late 60s/early 70s and they bear a resemblance to the class 501. But those units carried on well into the blue era, and some gained blue/grey.

Not only that but the only full readable number on the driving car is M75194 and the 501s only went up to M75189.

I have searched in vain so far, for a class of EMU which include that number.

post-4474-0-54142300-1445249940_thumb.jpg

Thought that the North London units had window bars on the droplights.

If it was M75134 with TS ---134 adjacent, that was withdrawn in 1968 so might well have ended-up in green.

E75194 was aBDTSOL from an ER Class 302, though that lasted until 1997 so wouldn't have ended-up in green.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak

• RMweb Premium

Certainly look like 501s, with leaf-sprung bogies (furthest bogie has shoe-beam mounts), side buffers and screw couplings.

I've seen similar pics of 504s at bury and croxley green but these had gresley or wagon style accommodation bogies. They also had centre buckeye couplers and no buffers on the inside ends

Are you sure about that number? E75194 was a class 302, and the 302s didn't have guard's vans in the driving vehicles, did they?

I can see ..134 on the left, which was part of the batch of 501s, and had already been withdrawn by the time the 1976 RCTS coaching stock book was printed.

Edit: as for the missing window bars, if you look carefully at the left side of the photo, you can see the places where they've been removed.

Edited by eastwestdivide

Are you sure about that number? E75194 was a class 302, and the 302s didn't have guard's vans in the driving vehicles, did they?

I can see ..134 on the left, which was part of the batch of 501s, and had already been withdrawn by the time the 1976 RCTS coaching stock book was printed.

Edit: as for the missing window bars, if you look carefully at the left side of the photo, you can see the places where they've been removed.

Well spotted. You can see the former fixings on the other car too. Presumably useful as spares.

Must be the North London set ending in 134 then. 

• RMweb Gold

Here is another mystery to me.

This photo was obviously taken at a scrapyard or depot scrap-line, with units awaiting cutting up. The green livery suggests late 60s/early 70s and they bear a resemblance to the class 501. But those units carried on well into the blue era, and some gained blue/grey.

Not only that but the only full readable number on the driving car is M75194 and the 501s only went up to M75189.

I have searched in vain so far, for a class of EMU which include that number.

attachicon.gifm75194.jpg

Bit of a long shot... South tynside EPBs before they moved south?

Certainly look like 501s, with leaf-sprung bogies (furthest bogie has shoe-beam mounts), side buffers and screw couplings.

I've seen similar pics of 504s at bury and croxley green but these had gresley or wagon style accommodation bogies. They also had centre buckeye couplers and no buffers on the inside ends

Yes, thanks everyone. It looks like M75194 when magnified, but I suspect there is a mark just in the right place to make the 3 look like a 9.

I didn't look far enough back in my ABCs for the full number series, and going back to 1961 I find they started at 61/70/75133, so the 134 set must have been an early withdrawal.

Thanks Jim for the Stranraer info. I had been through most of the Scottish stations which came to mind, but because the following slide in the sequence is at Perth I had concentrated more in that area.

This is all wonderful and saving me weeks of brain-pain.

Here is yet another photo that I can't place, but full of detail and would seem to make a great model, even though it has a double slip on the main running line  :secret: .

It looks as though it may be close to a junction, because although the near signalbox is on the left, there is another on the right not much further back.

My best guess is possibly near Carnforth.

post-4474-0-97570700-1445330392_thumb.jpg

And another.

My brain says Wakefield for this, but I have no idea why. The horizon is pan flat and the train appears to be climbing in order to cross other tracks, and there is a goods yard to the left.

post-4474-0-47277300-1445332018_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Here is yet another photo that I can't place, but full of detail and would seem to make a great model, even though it has a double slip on the main running line  :secret: .

It looks as though it may be close to a junction, because although the near signalbox is on the left, there is another on the right not much further back.

attachicon.gifScan-151019-0004.jpg

Not Carnforth, possibly Cumbrian coast was my thought. There's a trailing junction - from the right as we look - joining at the box in the distance. The near box is an LNWR Type 4 and the far one appears to be a Type 5, very short name on the near box.

And another.

My brain says Wakefield for this, but I have no idea why. The horizon is pan flat and the train appears to be climbing in order to cross other tracks, and there is a goods yard to the left.

attachicon.gifScan-151019-0003.jpg

Looks like just to the South of Warrington,

Warrington?

I would agree with this, just north of the bridges over the Manchester Ship Canal.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Warrington?

Looks to be climbing the slow line towards Acton Grange Junction, Walton Old up starter and Acton Grange up slow signals at clear towards the rear of the train (meaning it's taking the Chester line) and just above the wagons can be made out a bracket signal which would read to WBQ and onto the goods lines to Arpley.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifScan-151019-0004.jpg

Thought for a moment that this could have been somewhere on the North Wales Coast, as looking at the shadows cast by the old station building the sun is fairly high in the sky (so would have been in the south) so therefore the photograph would have been taken looking west.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a likely location

Jim

What have we got -

pebbledashed(?) station building (suggests Wales or Lake District),

rugged-looking hills/mountains,

platforms seen better days,

what looks like new cable troughing piled up (maybe increases likelihood that the line might be still open) - edit: or are they platform coping stones recovered from the opposite platform?

possiby red-coloured stonework on the right (if it's local red stone, west Lake District/Cumbria? Cheshire area? where else?),

fair sized chimney on the right,

church steeple on the horizon.

Anyone recognise the type of coach lurking behind the platforms?

Edited by eastwestdivide

What have we got -

pebbledashed(?) station building (suggests Wales or Lake District),

rugged-looking hills/mountains,

platforms seen better days,

what looks like new cable troughing piled up (maybe increases likelihood that the line might be still open) - edit: or are they platform coping stones recovered from the opposite platform?

possiby red-coloured stonework on the right (if it's local red stone, west Lake District/Cumbria? Cheshire area? where else?),

fair sized chimney on the right,

church steeple on the horizon.

Anyone recognise the type of coach lurking behind the platforms?

Add to the above, having blown up the picture the line clearly curves to the right beyond the second signalbox, possibly crossing a bridge or viaduct before entering a cutting close to the church spire on the horizon.

Jim