New Company to release some old Chivers Etched and Cast Kits!

Chivers Finelines

Yes folks you read the title right, there has been a new company set up called "FIVE79" and is set to release some of the old Chivers Finelines Etched Kits!!

The first etched brass kits to be released from the former Roger Chivers range are the very popular:

RC117 NER 42ft CCT,

RC121 LNER 42ft CCT,

RC127 LNER 52ft CCT.

The kits will offer etched brass body and bogies with cast whitemetal detailling parts, preformed styrene roof and a new addition of plastic moulded roofing vents.

All the kits will require Wheels, Bearings, Couplings, handrail wire, vac pipes, paint and transfers to complete.

They are set to be released March/April.

More details can be found in due course at five79.co.uk.

Splendid! I have one of the 42ft ones still to build, but I missed getting a 52ft while they were available. I wonder how many other old kits will be re-released (hopefully the 20T LMS Brake).

I have a small number of the 52ft's nearly ready to ship!

I gather you mean the Reverse Stanier LMS brake? RC107, this is HIGH on the release list, it may follow the LNER CCT's.

Ah....now I wonder if that signals an eventual return for the SR "Van B"....?

I'm not saying they will or will not return at this moment in time.

• RMweb Premium

Horestan asked:

Ah....now I wonder if that signals an eventual return for the SR "Van B"....?

There were two reasons why the kits were withdrawn, firstly rapidly falling demand plus we were running out of supplies of the cast parts for which we didn’t have the patterns.

Until recently I would not have given priority to any of the kits that have been replaced by plastic kits but having watched my other son struggling with the Bogie van B made by A N Other I might be persuaded to change my mind.

When Matthew and I did a preliminary survey of what whitemetal bits we could find and I was pleasantly surprised and a number of kits that I thought he would be struggling to produce came up as doable. From memory this includes all three of the Bogie Utility Vans,

Roger

(Dad Poking his nose in!)

.....the Bogie van B made by A K Other....

Could only be the Hornby or Ratio candidates!! I have one of the Ratio-built ones - there are a lot of bits in that one!

Oddly enough, I picked up a Chivers "Van B", unbuilt, years ago - the idea was to compare its build to the Ratio one.

Could only be the Hornby or Ratio candidates!! I have one of the Ratio-built ones - there are a lot of bits in that one!

Oddly enough, I picked up a Chivers "Van B", unbuilt, years ago - the idea was to compare its build to the Ratio one.

[pedant]The Hornby ex-Triang vehicle was the bogie corridor van rather than the Van B. wink.gif [/pedant]

My cupboard also has a few unbuilt brass Chivers kits, some of which I remember buying at the last Scaleforum at City University, which was a verrry long time ago ohmy.gif .

They were always very well designed, and the various (many!) folds, slots and tabs always fitted true and square first time in my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

A "VAN B" blink.gif , Now I wonder if you might do a scan or two for me, emailing them over, might I be able to twist your arm into donating said van B to the project in the east! wink.gif for folding stuff of course. wink.gif

A "VAN B" :blink: , Now I wonder if you might do a scan or two for me, emailing them over, might I be able to twist your arm into donating said van B to the project in the east! wink.gif for folding stuff of course. wink.gif

What's wrong with the Ratio version? :blink:

Archived