'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Hi Bob,

No problems with snow down here on the south coast, it all melted last night.

As for the points I think the toe-to-toe points give the track work a nicer "flow".

Gary

Cheers Gary......Yep it's gone up here too, but nice while it was about...proper winter,,,,,I too think it looks neater and smoother, will sleep on it.....I have spent the evening penciling up a proper, but still not to scale, layout plan that links all together, I hope that it'll form the basis of the wiring and signalling plan that I'll need help with from the kind guys on here, will post it in it's raw state and also as it develops, so all can see how ' I muddle through'....Have a great weekend, Regards as always...Bob

• Like 2

Hi Guys.....Hope you are all well, and have avoided the effects of snow this morning,,,,?

May I pose a question for you.....I have here two options......and would like to know your opinions and preferential choice.....

Would you stick with this using a single slip......

or using two toe to toe points

either will fit into the space, it does lengthen the cross over by one point length, but aesthetically speaking I require ideas.....

DO I STICK WITH THIS.......using a single slip

attachicon.gif101_1208 (600x800).jpg

attachicon.gif101_1212 (800x600).jpg

the point lengths increases from

attachicon.gif101_1203 (800x600).jpg

to.....using a toe to toe regime...

attachicon.gif101_1221 (800x589).jpg

attachicon.gif101_1223 (600x800).jpg

attachicon.gif101_1226 (800x600).jpg

Any ideas.....

Regards as always...

Bob

Hi Bob, personally I'd go with the Single Slip mate.

• Like 1

Hi.....Here as promised, is the very rough, raw (not to scale) layout diagram of all the sections currently under consideration (showing the toe to toe option on the locals), I believe it to be correct, although it is late, I haven't thoroughly checked it, but wanted to get it out to you kind fellows to view.....

I will check over the plan for errors and update soon....see what you think...?

I will require advice on how to wire and signal this as we progress, as my knowledge on these topics is virtually nil.....

Image removed as it contained errors (sorry)

Regards to all....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi Guys....Have removed the image of the layout as it contained errors, sorry about that, knew it was too late in the evening to concentrate....will update later...

Regards

Bob

Evening Guys....Hope all are well and the weekend is progressing well, even if like yours truly, you always are working or expected at least to do so on a Saturday?

Firstly can I once again sincerely say sorry for the previous and now deleted, poor drawing......it was quite possibly one of those ' Andre Previn' moments, where  'they were all the right points......but not necessarily in the right order' !  :jester:

Anyway getting back to the here and now.....I have redrawn the layout of the sections together.....again it is not to scale, so the layout is very much distorted when compared to the photo's but is drawn so that you kind guys can see the flow through the points......as I progress I do intend to map out the plan within anyrail system which may be more trouble than it's worth but I'll see how it goes....see what you think of this and the following post which will show the all intended plattforms and infrastructure around the layout.....

I will use the plan for the wiring and signalling, which I will require assistance with, if anyone can direct myself to any site where guidance is provided I'd appreciate it for sure...so here it is hopefully all in the right order this time, (if not necessarily to scale)

Comments please....Regards as always

Bob

post-20610-0-01400800-1484418537.jpg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

The overall plan

post-20610-0-21964700-1484418758.jpg

The plan with infrastructure....platforms, goods shed, engine shed and carriage shed

post-20610-0-69431900-1484418786.jpg

Regards as always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Looking good Bob, can't wait to see it running!!

Gary

Cheers Gary......Stock running may be a while away just yet, but given the support of kind guys on here it'll happen....need to take a stage by stage approach as my knowledge and skills are limited...

Regards

Bob

Hi Gary...I prefer to air everything, even though it may be mistaken at the time, as it is all apart of a process....folks can always shout...;Oi.... that a'right" as they say round here!

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's a good way to do it Bob, My first layout took a year to get from where you are now to having trains running, Oak Hill took a few weeks! and the amount I learnt from posting on here helped immensely and I'm glad I decided too.

Gary

Evenin' guys......

Hope that you've all had a pleasant weekend....personally spent today getting back into the 'normal' volunteering routine on the SVR at Arley, now that Santa is now able to put his feet up and enjoy a deserved rest back at home in Lapland after a busy Christmas running season....the station now 'quiet' for 6 weeks until February half term when scheduled service trains are due to resume, although that said my colleagues and I at Arley are anything but quiet at anytime, gardening for myself today, making the most of the benign weather after a bout of winter through the past week or so.....

Anyway, to get back on topic......

Now that I hope that the planning stage for Cambrian Street  is perhaps almost complete, it will now be a matter of 'blogging' hopefully what will be the 'construction' and 'building' process, and as before I will let you see the error of my ways as well as the manner in which the layout progresses......

It is my plan to perhaps concentrate on the Station itself firstly, rather than get 'bogged' (or blogged down) in the whole layout at one time, concentrating on the station I hope will build the confidence to move forwards and give me an idea as to what to expect when I move on to the engine shed and turntable, as I don't relish the idea of cutting out a huge circle in the boards only to discover that it's in the wrong place!

I also believe that concentrating on one spot on the layout will allow me to hone my 'skills' (ha ha) for future modelling, also it'll give me an insight into the wiring of apart of the section and at least get something running into and out of the station, into the goods yard etc....and all the facets of switches and sectional wiring perhaps...experience of which hasn't been about since I was 15, some 42 years ago when along with my now late brother and uncle had a huge railway (20' x 10') ........

So with that in mind I am going to start of with a few closer in views of the various places around the station and explain what they are about and the thinking behind my reasoning, so at any point if you good guys think I am being misguided then please do shout loudly as I want to hear from you.......

The overall station view (looking in the down direction)

post-20610-0-84508700-1484515139.jpg

The 'reverse' (up direction) the goods shed  (possible cattle dock) will be in the top right and the station head shunt, bi-directional main and relief disappearing beneath a road bridge or perhaps for interest aqueduct....

post-20610-0-31738700-1484515194.jpg

The main up and down platform to the right and the locals to the left....

.post-20610-0-13808100-1484515487.jpg

Closer in view of the buffer stop end of the main up and down, a centre storage with catch point available.....

post-20610-0-88685900-1484515568.jpg

Closer in view of the local buffer stop end, a slight amendment to the plan in that I have experimented with an additional left point to give either an extension should it be required ( and additional shape to the platform) or used as a stabling additional point for a loco to run around the stock to work the return service, the incoming loco allowed to uncouple pull up to the buffers, then released to the engine shed, when the return service departs.....

post-20610-0-09837800-1484515652.jpg

The town goods and guards van 'kip'

post-20610-0-82838300-1484515981.jpg

The Private Coal siding...hopefully to have horse drawn wagons or guys pinch baring wagons....also a weighbridge with wagons all in the setting of the main coal siding

post-20610-0-30031000-1484516050.jpg

post-20610-0-10974000-1484516156.jpg

then finally the view into the next section (beneath the road bridge or aqueduct...the main up and down to the left, the goods / relief to the left....

post-20610-0-74842400-1484516232.jpg

Comments appreciated....I need to get my head around as to where the insulated joiners need to be positioned and where the necessary sections and switch power feeds will be required.....

.......my head hurts already !!

Regards as always to everyone, have a good week...will post further soon....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

Looking good, this is getting really exiting now!

However something I didn't notice before, I'm not sure you can have the cattle dock positioned behind the goods shed. Locos are not allowed to enter goods sheds and so would have to reach through with other wagons to place and collect cattle trucks and that seems "wrong" to me.

I could be wrong but it may be worth considering either moving the cattle dock to another road or switching the cattle dock and goods shed the other way round.

Sorry to be a pain at this late stage,

Gary

• Agree 1

Hi Bob,

Looking good, this is getting really exiting now!

However something I didn't notice before, I'm not sure you can have the cattle dock positioned behind the goods shed. Locos are not allowed to enter goods sheds and so would have to reach through with other wagons to place and collect cattle trucks and that seems "wrong" to me.

I could be wrong but it may be worth considering either moving the cattle dock to another road or switching the cattle dock and goods shed the other way round.

Sorry to be a pain at this late stage,

Gary

Hi Gary...Thanks for the message,,,, you are quite right ( and please continue to say when things don't look or aren't correct ) that there would be operational problems shunting  or propelling loaded cattle wagons through the goods shed coupled to other wagons, as  loco's were banned from entering.....this has been rattling around my head a potential problem, I have considered ditching the cattle dock completely and just lengthening the goods platform or pushing the goods shed further along the road and as you kindly suggest move it to the t'other side of the shed...at the moment I may just dispense with it as it's not a major facility for me...?

Cheers...regards

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Evening Guys....Hope all are chipper....?

Have had a look at the positioning of the cattle dock.....

If I do keep the facility, which isn't yet set in stone, I have looked at bringing it to the 'southern' side of the goods shed at the end of the unloading platform, the cattle wagons would still require to form part of the goods set....the red book indicating the position of the shed itself (all shewn here)...

post-20610-0-36721000-1484593547.jpg

The coal siding and bins remain on a separate road, possibly may turn the bins on the private company siding as shown with back to wagon, even though my preference is for the bins to be remote....

post-20610-0-95263000-1484593727.jpg

post-20610-0-62546400-1484593750.jpg

Any thoughts....

Have a good evening folks...regards as always

Bob

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Looks good Bob,

I like the cattle dock there, works better than before, but I cannot comment on prototype, hopefully someone else can.

I would leave the coal bins as they are if I were you, I think having them the other way round and next to the track is modelled to much so something different is nice, even though mine are next to the track the other way round.

Gary

• Like 1

You could have a horse to shunt the wagons in the goods yard or an oss as they say round here?

Ta...Sounds like yaw doe coum far meself....possibly t'other side of the oss road !  :jester:

Bob

• Like 1

Evening guys, hope all are well...?

Here is an updated image of where the intention to place the footbridge access to all three platforms is likely to be....I wondered whether anyone knows of an 'off the shelf' three step platform construction footbridge is available, preferably GWR or BR Western Region, or I may have to apted something....

The Bachmann boxes indicate where the main station buildings and associated wings may be....the smaller the signal box

post-20610-0-59075300-1484678121.jpg

post-20610-0-11340100-1484678145.jpg

Regards to all...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Bob,

Its going to look good, the only GWR bridge kit that might be doable that I know of is the Gaugemaster Fordhampton footbridge kit. Although it only has 2 sets of steps if you get 2 kits they can be extended and made in different formations and a couple of these may be doable as a 3-step bridge to cover all platforms., and despite what Gaugemaster trying to advertise it as Southern it is most definitely GWR.

Gary

• Like 1

Evening all.....

Hope the following (still rather poor) image may be a better representation of the layout Cambrian Street Station....the goods and private coal area....

If anyone has ideas of how to signal these lines I would appreciate guidance....I am working on it but need help.....

Cheers and regards

Bob

post-20610-0-68440500-1484775828.jpg

• Like 2