'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Cheers Guys.....Will keep practicing for a wee while longer then will get headlong into it.....will keep you appraised ....

Bob

• Like 3

Your soldering is very good for someone who has just started so I wouldn't worry about it, mine is certainly no better after years of trying, I usually cut the wire sleeving further back so the only the bare wire is showing above board then it is easier to hide with gravel.

I don't know if you are aware but Frizinghall Model Railways sell a motorizing kit for the Peco Turntable which may be another alternative for you.

Whatever you use I found it better to power the turntable motor through an old separate dc power supply this enabled me to control the speed to a realistic level and slow it to a crawl when it was approaching track alignment.

• Like 1

Something I did on my layout was to separate two sleepers and put the wire dropper on the base (underside) of the rail. That way even if the solder is a bit larger its much harder to see once ballasted. 

• Like 2

Evening Guys...Hope that your weekend went well and that the new week has also got off to a reasonable start.....?

Here is another piece of my Cambrian Street 'glasnost', I have been practicing (the first attempt) at soldering what will be the droppers to the bus wire......here I have attempted to solder what would be two droppers to the bus wire.....

The technique I have used is thus......

I have used the very base the soldering iron, the portion right at the base of the shaft, (although not anywhere close to the tip used for soldering) when hot, to soften the plastic covering of the wire in three places where the droppers are to join the bus wire, this whole length can then be quite easily be removed (pulled away with a finger nail), without the requirement of the use of a blade or knife..........

The dropper wires had their (bus wire) contact ends plastic coating removed with a wire stripper, the contact wires then wound around the bus and soldered into position....

The whole soldering portion being then wrapped in isolating tape...

Will practice further before commencing the 'real deal'......

post-20610-0-11305000-1495487560.jpg

Regards as always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Hi.....

This is certainly 'off topic' but either one of those 'arrrrh' or 'ermmm' moments in life......as after 20 years of living alone I seem have had my house adopted by bumblebees, currently residing in the soffit boards above my landing window, I can hear the buzzing at night, probably keeping the nest cool?

I always thought they preffered a cooler spot, this is on the sunniest side of the house.....I also understand that the nest will die out at the end of the summer too...so they should only be summer visitors,,,,?

I haven't got the binoculars on them but they do seem to be bumblebees not wasps, which would be a different matter, I can live alongside bumbles quiet happily so long as they remain in their spot......

Any advice guys?

Regards as always...

Bob

• Like 1

Hi.....

This is certainly 'off topic' but either one of those 'arrrrh' or 'ermmm' moments in life......as after 20 years of living alone I seem have had my house adopted by bumblebees, currently residing in the soffit boards above my landing window, I can hear the buzzing at night, probably keeping the nest cool?

I always thought they preffered a cooler spot, this is on the sunniest side of the house.....I also understand that the nest will die out at the end of the summer too...so they should only be summer visitors,,,,?

I haven't got the binoculars on them but they do seem to be bumblebees not wasps, which would be a different matter, I can live alongside bumbles quiet happily so long as they remain in their spot......

Any advice guys?

Regards as always...

Bob

Leave them be as they won't kick up a fuss otherwise.

Bumble Bee Conservation recommends only interfering if they are causing a major problem  https://bumblebeeconservation.org/about-bees/faqs/moving-bumblebee-nests/  . This is actually quite a good read if you have the time

• Like 1

Leave them be as they won't kick up a fuss otherwise.

Bumble Bee Conservation recommends only interfering if they are causing a major problem  https://bumblebeeconservation.org/about-bees/faqs/moving-bumblebee-nests/  . This is actually quite a good read if you have the time

Cheers for the info....yep had seen this site and is full of sound advice.....it was quiet comforting to have them here.....tonight, as per the advice on the site. it seems as if all the last couple of nights activity marked the end of the nest, tonight there has been only three bees 'buzzing' around the entrance so much quieter....feel quite privileged they'd chosen me to be a safe spot to reside with....

Regards

Bob

• Like 3

HEY!

I know it's late but couldn't wait to let you know.......

Wired up the controller with the feed wires that will eventually be attached to the bus wires, switched the controller on..... then placed the positive and negative wires to a length of track,,,,,and movement! 

Hurrah my little black BR pannier tank was the first movement on a layout here at home for 40 years....so 'chuffed'    !

Regards to all

Bob

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

Hi Guys....

Just a very quick update to say that I this evening I have soldered the negative and one positive controller feeds to the respective bus wire and taped up. placing the ends of the wires on a test track, I still have movement so power is feeding through the soldered joints and bus wires.....Hoorah!

Cheers guys, regards as always,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

Evening All......

Just another quick note....to say that I have added the second positive controller (knob)  feed wire to the bus and soldered into position, this too is carrying power to a length of track and feeding through the insolfrog points, so my little 0-6-0 is negotiating points too this evening another step forwards perhaps?

Will begin the mammoth task of adding the droppers and soldering them in to position in the not too distant future hopefully.....

it is perhaps this task, getting under the boards and trying to focus my eyes through varifocal glasses that I am currently having a problem with as using the bottom of the lenses looking up at close range, isn't easy!

Will keep you advised guys....

Regards as always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Hi...

Well I thought I'd take one (little) step further forwards, to the point where I'd be installing droppers to the bus wire.....so have drilled through the baseboard with a drill which makes a neat, snug but usable access hole and inserted both the positive red and back common negative return wires through said opening and there's sufficient length of wire beneath the board to be soldered to the bus....this is what it looks like this evening.....will have look through the advice given by you good guys on here regarding soldering to track.....

does this look reasonable...

post-20610-0-99916800-1496349841.jpg

Regards as always

Bob

• Like 2

Hi

Is it best to clean the rail, either with alcohol, a fibreglass pen or all firstly before soldering the wire to a track?

Cheers Bob

Yes I always clean the rail with both a fibreglass pen and IPA before soldering.

Gary

Ta !

I take it that is the electrical cleaner such as WD40 etc.....not,,,,, Indian Pale Ale !   :jester:

• Like 1

Evening All.....Hope all are well......?

I have to say that it is with some trepidation that I post this, as this is 'the serious' business and there are some talented guys out there looking at this and probably even now taking a really sharp intake of breath and looking on with disbelief as to how someone could make such a mess....actually 'work' !

So...here goes......

This lunchtime went up the village and went and purchased two cans of Indian Pale Ale, no not really, three cans of (IPA) actually WD40 for the cleaning of rails and all electrical stuff, in preparation to 'bite the bullet this evening wire up droppers to the bus wires for the first time, and to gain experience soldering such for real.......there's no going back now!

This is how I went along........

The droppers had already been placed into position the previous evening......

post-20610-0-69028200-1496436069.jpg

Began this evening by cleaning the rail with a fibre glass pencil and gave a rub down with WD40 cloth to make the side of the rail clean and shinny......

The dropper (the negative in this case) had its plastic coating softened sufficiently by using the lower portion of (a separate and older) soldering shaft until it just shows signs of melting, it can then be easily removed without fear of cutting through or damaging the the wires........

post-20610-0-77769600-1496436312.jpg

Once stripped off (the wire coating I mean, not me which wouldn't be a pretty sight at all) the wire was tinned and when cool, trimmed and bent 90 degrees....

post-20610-0-08490600-1496436426.jpg

Solder was then applied to the cleaned portion of the rail where the dropper was to fit.......the iron then used to push the wire into the now melting rail solder the two allowed to cool to bond......the dropper given slight pressure when cool to check that all was firm which is was......

A bit 'blobby' admittedly but a first attempt

post-20610-0-45824000-1496437244.jpg

The same process was employed for the positive bus wire......both then in position

post-20610-0-41492400-1496437311.jpg

The two droppers the soldered to their respective bus wires beneath the board and taped up......

You can imagine how thrilled I was when I turned the controller on and turned the 'heat up' and the 0-6-0 trundled its way along the siding....I am so happy!

:sungum:

I wish i could upload the video I took.....

Need a drink now....! 

Regards to all have a great weekend.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely brilliant Bob!!

You have no need to worry about them not looking good, I have blobs like that on my layout they just don't show so much since mine is ballasted!

As for videos all you need to do is copy the YouTube address from the top of your web browser into your post on here. At least I think that's how it works it has been a while since I linked any video. This means the video has to be put on YouTube first, and it really has been a while since I did that so I cannot remember how you do that!!

Gary

• Like 1

attachicon.gifpl-55-peco-turntable-drive-all-scales--38333-p.png

Looks simple in its concept.....2017 availability was stated.....presume it will be a standard 12" and a bit diameter hole required?

I do however prefer the design of the girder turntable....situated almost at ground level rather than a well type...

Regards to all...

Bob

Hi

Just an update....have emailed Peco regarding am update on the availability of an impending motorised version of this turntable and have been informed that this has been sent for final test and may be released by late autumn this year.....?

Regards

Bob

• Like 2

Evening Guys.....Hope all are well....?

Just an update for you kind guys......I am plodding along (albeit for me) at a very slow rate with installing the droppers and attaching them to the bus wire.....I have completed 5 in total so far, averaging a few each night at the moment, but I have only being doing in for two nights !

What I have done seems to be working okay, and the current is still flowing through the points laid so hopefully all seems well with no shorts (yet anyway).....I had forgotten but have been painfully reminded just how 'hot' a soldering iron can be and even the 'spit' of a piece of molten solder that may happen to land on bare skin....ouch!

Will continue to progress and keep you advised.....

Take care guys and kind regards as always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2