'Cambrian Street'

BobM

• RMweb Gold

Wish I could help with the signalling Bob. It goes way over my head. I can only again advise sending a message to Mike "The Stationmaster" as he will be able to tell you anything you need to know.

Other than that the plan looks good.

Gary

Evening guys, hope all are well...?

Here is an updated image of where the intention to place the footbridge access to all three platforms is likely to be....I wondered whether anyone knows of an 'off the shelf' three step platform construction footbridge is available, preferably GWR or BR Western Region, or I may have to apted something....

The Bachmann boxes indicate where the main station buildings and associated wings may be....the smaller the signal box

attachicon.gif101_1267 (800x600).jpg

attachicon.gif101_1264 (800x600).jpg

Regards to all...

Bob

I think Gary has the right idea Bob.

Evening

Haven't forgotten you kind guys......just had one or two non-layout things to sort out at home...will be back soon....

Regards to all....

Bob

Hi Guys.....Just to say I am obtaining some excellent and very kind assistance with the electrical wiring that is required ( as this is way beyond my capabilities) for Cambrian Street and also have sent a message to another kind fellow on RMWeb for signalling advice, both these tasks are evolving, so will report back when matters are clearer.....

Cheers and regards to everyone....

Bob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening Guys....Could spring be on its way at last.....it's been pretty darned cold here in South Staffs through the past month or so, the Hellebores, Snowdrops and Aconites so reluctant to flower, even the daffodils which in some previous winters have been standing tall and budded, only just this month emerging from the ground, a normal winter perhaps?

'Any road up' as they say around 'ear'.....I have been struggling with getting my head around wiring of Cambrian Street and whilst I await some guidance from one or two contacts I've made, I wanted to either stick my head in the proverbial lions mouth or place it on good old Richard Brandons chopping block (half expecting to get it bitten or chopped off in the process) I have made a tentative step to put something very basic down on paper and would appreciate comments......

Using the rough track plan here, which again in not to scale but correct to the flow of the layout, am I correct in highlighting only here in red the 'common feed' that would be required to feed power through the track......?

If correct can I then add where the isolation connections would be required....

If I am wrong please be gentle with me.....and not too much off the back please !  :jester:

Regards as always....

Bob

post-20610-0-76032800-1487023306_thumb.jpg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi Guys......Hope all are keeping well and that all's well.......

There has been a bit of a pause on Cambrian Street development over that last month or so as I took stock of the best way to move forwards into the next stage of developing the layout.......

......this next stage (the wiring required) could have seen the whole layout project either advance at a slow pace, progress at a hesitant rate, falter or even fade away and be consigned to the 'great steam scrapyard in the sky' through a lack of personal knowledge and potential disappointment due to the ensuing pitfalls.......

Therefore I had to make a decision as to what would be the best way to go forwards......and although there was a possibility to pack it all in and hit the red wine instead, I thought rather than just paying good money on red wine ( as at the end of the day you only do 'rent it' on a short term lease - think about it) I would use that spare cash on professional help and assistance to guide me through the necessary wiring and electrical technical stuff........

So I will be posting again....as and when I make progress......possibly not the reason behind technical and operational stuff but more the steps taken to get loco's moving......

After contacting a splendid chappy on here, he's willing to guide me through the signalling requirements too.......

With everyone's most splendid kindness, guidance and support I feel much more confident about Cambrian Street's progress.....

You know guys we are blessed with so many good, kind-hearted souls on here....I've learnt never be too afraid to ask any question on any subject, as there'll always be some solution or advice, so genuinely and freely on offer.......

The next posting should show the first steps on the track laying and initial route to wiring and getting things moving.....( I do have to obtain a stock of wires, solder and block wire connectors).........

Spring is on its way and work at the nursery is likely to be going mad soon......and given lighter nights too, gardening is going to centre stage.....what we want is a wet summer, that'll keep me in at night!

However, will post when able....

Thanks as always to everyone....

Bob

• Like 1

Thanks Gary......

Yep with the assistance available now as per the technical requirements..... it'll be locating and sourcing the methods of how to actually solder correctly and doing all under the board stuff neatly....

Regards as always...

Bob

Evening Guys.....

Hope you are all okay and keeping well?

Well...we're off......!   It'll be a protracted race this one, and there my be on or two 'stumbles' but hopefully not a 'fall' at too many fences along the course......but hopefully although the journey may be lengthy ( spring is on it's way and with the nursery becoming busier, the evenings becoming lighter too any resultant time on the layout will be limited) and enjoyable......

Step one was to install four plastic insulators and  placed on the positive rail in the positions shown here.......

the diagram is not too scale and very basic for illustration purposes only here....

post-20610-0-94585700-1487627171.jpg

and in real terms 

post-20610-0-12769700-1487627340.jpg

post-20610-0-52664400-1487627361.jpg

Some track laying can now commence (time permitting) and once I have obtained the necessary red ( + )  Black ( - ) wires all the bus and droppers can be installed.....

Cheers 

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Hi Guys....Hope all are well this evening....?

In line with current thinking, by making a 'step by step' approach to the progress of Cambrian Street but more importantly for me and in the hope that I won't make too many costly mistakes or a complete fool of myself in front of all you talented guys on this brilliant website.....there has been another couple of steps forwards this evening........

Hopefully the images shown here may help to explain what has happened recently, how it relates to the overall layout and some subtle changes undertaken.......I have started to lay a few further lengths of track and have 'lightly pinned' this into position, I will firmly fix it into position when more confident that all is okay in terms of how it looks and operational clearances....... I do also have a couple of questions, to which I would appreciate comments.....

My first question is as my boards are completely covered in cork whether, before a point or slip is laid permanently the cork beneath the tie bar should be removed, so that there is a gap beneath it and the board so as to prevent any subsequent ballast hindering its movement?

Secondly when track is laid.......it is good or bad practice, or beneficial to solder any rail joints together and file smoothly....?

Here are this evening images showing some of the 'progress' made....... 

post-20610-0-75789000-1487713629.jpg

The parallel curves - the bi-directional '....the 'up' and 'down' (centre road) the goods / relief (right).....the station headshunt (left) is yet to be fixed into position....

post-20610-0-91446900-1487713521.jpg

Looking 'up' from where the bridge is likely to be positioned.....

The main 'up' and 'down' has been laid and connected to the two single (left handed slips) which feed into the engine shed.......

post-20610-0-98898300-1487713567.jpg

Another image looking in the 'up' direction closer where it is intended to 'disappear' beneath a bridge into a hidden cassette fiddle yard......

post-20610-0-88241600-1487713606.jpg

Looking in the opposite 'down' direction........there's a slight alteration to the carriage shed access with the removal of a secondary and possibly unnecessary point connection to the relief and goods line.....will think on it....

post-20610-0-41168600-1487714575.jpg

Potential alteration to the turntable stabling lines shown here.......

Is this progress? Would appreciate comments as always guys.....

Regards as always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Bob,

I have never removed cork for the sake of ballast around tie bars. Although by the time I have drilled the hole for the point motor there isn't a lot left to worry about.

As for soldering rail joints I would say no, If you solder the joint you will have no space for the rails to expand when it gets hot, and although I don't believe this is a huge problem I have seen it happen and cause buckling so better to be safe than sorry!

Gary

• Agree 1

Hi Guys....A question that is 'off topic' perhaps but pertains to future operations on Cambrian Street.....I am 'old school' DC and the layout is intended to be operated as such.....the interest in modelling goes way back into the mid-1970's when as a family, my both my late uncle and brother had a rather large 12' x 18' layout......I have inherited perhaps 40 various locos from that period, some metal bodied and older models which I intend to use on occasions, I do also have a selection of more recent Bachmann models too which are fine......my question or query is......will DCC ready models which do not have decoders fitted operate on my DC layout and is it just DCC fitted models that shouldn't be used..or am I off beam here?

Regards as always....and cheers for any information....

Bob

• Like 1

Hi Guys....A question that is 'off topic' perhaps but pertains to future operations on Cambrian Street.....I am 'old school' DC and the layout is intended to be operated as such.....the interest in modelling goes way back into the mid-1970's when as a family, my both my late uncle and brother had a rather large 12' x 18' layout......I have inherited perhaps 40 various locos from that period, some metal bodied and older models which I intend to use on occasions, I do also have a selection of more recent Bachmann models too which are fine......my question or query is......will DCC ready models which do not have decoders fitted operate on my DC layout and is it just DCC fitted models that shouldn't be used..or am I off beam here?

Regards as always....and cheers for any information....

Bob

Hi Bob,

DCC ready locos will operate fine on DC - They are intended to, as without a DCC decoder fitted, they are not  happy on a DCC layout.  DCC fitted locos will operate on DC perfectly fine also, provided the CV settings are set to allow it to do so - DCC decoders can be told to 'not operate' on DC, but, I believe most decoders are set to work on DCC and DC at the factory, and it is down to the owner to change the setting.

If you did decide to switch to DCC at a later date, most, if not all, your older locomotives could be converted to DCC with a little work. I have converted a number of older Hornby Ringfield motored and X04 motored locos in the past, but, you do have to be careful about current draw of the older motors, and some locos will need extra pickups fitted to improve reliability.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Andi....

Cheers for the above information.....much appreciated as always.....pleased that both 'ready' and 'fitted' DCC locos will be fine for operating on DC, so friends who have DCC locos will not have a 'Steam Ban' enforced on Cambrian Street.... :jester:

I am presuming though that they'll operate without a 'chuff-chuff' sound though ?

Will have to go back to the old background 'atmosphere' of taped, CD or even 12" record steam sound.....ah the memories eh?

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Heee Heeee,,,,,

Yep that loco has great sentimental value....it is a white metal hand built Duke Dog that my late uncle (he was a great railway inspiration for me ) always wanted and was in the process of paying for when he sadly died and didn't see it.....so I took over paying for it and there it sits in its unfinished state.....

Regards as always,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1