Jencaster - 1930's LMS OO Gauge Layout

ianLMS

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Still on the scenic kind of things, I have started to modify an old Hornby 3F Jinty (16440) to become a loco under-going cleaning.

I started a thread on the subject; http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118548-help-please-whats-inside-a-3f-jinty-smoke-box/

My plan was to show the loco with the smokebox door open and the ash etc being cleaned out. I then moved on to detailing parts on the loco as much as I could without spending a fortune. A new chimney, screw link couplings and buffers from Alan Gibson were purchased and I scratchbuilt many other bits and bobs and added in pipes etc. I have added more detail since this photo and will update on progress during the week. I have yet to add the Pressfix lettering and numbers, smokebox door and a few other things before I will place it in situ outside of the engine shed.

post-21193-0-14280100-1485188319_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

And the final model after weathering and adding the door, man cleaning the smokebox out and Pressfix numbers/lettering. Just need to add the shed crew cleaning it down and some tools and I am done. Unless anyone can add any advice to help finish off the scene!!

post-21193-0-78883800-1485265505_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-99156300-1485265516_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 11

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I cant believe its 6 months since my last update on how Jencaster is coming along. Well, I have been extremely busy with the layout, and the project list just keeps getting longer and longer and the kit box is getting bigger and bigger.

So, here is what I have been up to:

1. Converted to DCC - Roco z21 with Multimaus handset, Wi-fit router and Samsung Tablet - very, very happy with the system

2. Re-wired layout - now powered via a BUS

3. Fitting decoders - 8 locos DCC ready - 2 fitted wit Hornby chips, the others fitted with Gaugemaster chips. Again, very pleased

3. Converted my first non-DCC ready loco (Bachmann Jubilee - Split Chassis) - it was a challenge and ended up fitting decoder in the tender, but it works

4. Detailing loco's - Most modified loco - Airfix 4F - new Brassmaster splashers was the biggest challenge. Fitted the Brassmaster detailing kit.

5. Installed ScaleModelScenery fence posts and extremely thin wire (came from a cable which must have had 100 copper strands - so thin you can hardly touch it without it snapping)

6. Ripped up the back left corner of the layout along with the river - the curve was far too tight and I needed to extend then fiddle yard. Now 6 roads and 12" longer on all roads. The sunshine helped - I accidently left the blind open and the sun warped the section of track I wanted to replace! How lucky was that!!!

So, the railway is in a state of disarray, the model room is so untidy its dangerous and I cant find anything I am looking for, and I am now working a commission to build a large oil tank for a demonstration model!!!

I haven't taken pics of recent work, but when I get chance I will upload a few:

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Airfix LMS 4F modified with Brassmasters detailing kit and splashers. Fence in foreground is Scalemodelscenery OO gauge laser cut fence posts with wire I had at home. The wire they use is way too thick for fencing, more suited for over-head telephone/power cabling.

post-21193-0-50879300-1499689328.jpg

• Like 5

Hello, I have just come across this model railway of yours and I am very impressed, you have captured the essence of the era perfectly which is something I aspire to do my self.

Keep the pictures coming , great layout!

Coops

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Latest Fiddelyard progress update: Track laying is now complete, powered up and tested. Ironed out a few minor issues and installed surface point motors, reed switches for lane occupation detection and currently in the process of installation and programming the DCC accessory decoders so I can control the points from my tablet or Multimaus. I had also installed Gaugemaster DCC 80 Auto-frogs, and the accessory decoders are DCC 30's. I was extremely chuffed and smug about my very cheap deal on the DCC30's. 3 for £20, plus a fourth at another £20. Control 16 points for £40. (each decoder new is £60+) so a bargain. Add in the Auto-frogs (12 for £36) and so far, the cost is £76 - not bad I thought!!!! Hind sight is a wonderful thing!!!

Here is where the smugness is wiped from my face and a lesson learnt in compulsive buying and lack of proper research!!! - I was not overly happy with how the DCC30's programmed and operated. Very noisy and kept jamming, over-heating my solenoid motors I used for testing purposes and limited in functionality even though I followed the instructions and got advice from Gaugemaster. Add in the total cost of 4 additional decoders and 20 auto-frogs to control all 32 points, the cost is very quickly escalating. £40 + £36 + £240 (4 additional DCC30's), + £60 (20 additional DCC80's) the total cost would be in the region of £370.00. A considerable investment!!! Along comes DCC the Concepts DCD-ADS8FX;

So, after research I purchased the following:

1 x new DCD-ADS8FX - £60

3 x slightly used DCD-ADS8FX from Ebay - £120

The DCC Concepts solenoid decoders can operate 8 point motors, LED's for point direction and polarity switching all from the same decoder and are supposedly easier to programme as they have a "learning" switch. 4 of these will do everything I need for a total cost of £180.00!!!!!

How daft do I feel not just going for these in the first place. Even all brand new, I would have saved over £130 (enough to buy a new loco!!!)

So, the 4 x DCC30's and 12 x DCC80's will be shortly appearing on Ebay at a knock down price!!!

Have a wonderful weekend!!!!!

Ian

Edited by ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

First time I've come across your thread Ian. Some good stuff going on here. My I ask whose coaches you use?

Thank you for the kind words! Like most modellers probably, I own a mixture. When I re-started modelling and had limited funds/knowledge I was picking up all sorts of stuff that appeared cheap on Ebay. I now have a collection of old Hornby Railroad (silver top), Bachmann (grey top), Airfix & Airfix GMR (darker maroon colour) coaches - around 15 in all, plus Bachmann 50' Parcel vans, a Hornby 12-wheel Dining Car and an old Hornby Royal Mail coach.

When I commence proper operation, I intend the rake same manufacture/age coaches together as they all differ in size, buffer height, couplings etc and look very odd together in the same train. Eventually, I will replace them all with higher quality, more accurate coaches as funds permit.

Thanks

Ian

Edited by ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

To add - The ones in the pictures behind the Scot are the Airfix GMR ones - my favourites! Maybe not 100% accurate in scale or that detailed, but I much prefer the darker maroon to the bright red ones with silver roofs from Hornby. Bachmann are quite nice too. I believe the latest ones from Hornby are nice, but at over £40 per coach, it will be while before I pick any of them up!

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good afternoon all,

I have "wiring elbow" or "screwdrivers Strain" and "smouldering solder inhalation" or "intoxicating fumes syndrome" from connecting up over 70 LED lights from my control panel to my 4 AD-8SFX DCC Concepts decoders, 6 reed switches and ones to identify the selection of the programming or main track. Just 32 solenoid points to wire up now and that will complete this phase of the operation. I can then test everything to make sure all is fully operational.

I just ordered a graphite block from Ebay as I have heard that this is an excellent method of cleaning track. Just need to make sure I don't bridge any insulating gaps with the resulting graphite dust!

I will them move on to re-building the scenic area over the new extended fiddle yard. Not sure whether to include a river or stream this time. I do like to see a water feature on a layout so will probably re-design one back in. Once that is complete I can get back to building wagon kits, modifying and DCC'ing loco's and playing trains!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, I tested everything and discovered I had a short somewhere - after an hour of cursing, checking connections throughout the new wiring, disconnecting and reconnecting the points etc I discovered the fault - two old wires hanging down from the track which were an old section connection from the analogue days were hanging down and had managed to attract each other and join themselves together. Opposites attract I guess and as soon as I parted them, all was good and no further shorts.

I then discovered two point motors refused to fire. Again, after carrying out various tests I narrowed it down to a faulty ADS8FX board. Both points were from the same board, from the same end. A common problem I understand with ADS8FX's. I soon overcame this by joining two points together so they both fire from the same output. All 32 points now work and I can operate them from my control panel switches, the Multimaus handset or from my tablet. The LED's respond regardless of which operating system, however, when I use the manual switch or the Multimaus to operate, it doesn't update the plan on the tablet. The other issue is when I power down or have a short in the system (loco derail etc) it turns the LED's off and I have to fire every point in order to re-set them. Bit of a pain but I will live with it for now. The new ADS-8SX ones have memory so the LED's restore back to its last position - they are more pricey so will be a while before I decide to upgrade!!

Had a great demolition session last night and completely ripped up all the scenery from the back left corner, removing the pub, the station masters house and the original tunnel entrance. Currently planning a new scenic area as the tunnel entrance will shift further forward and will be extending the hill. I will also be planting some new Scalescenes buildings - another row of terraced houses, an old petrol/workshop garage and a blacksmiths. Will be a while before I will complete them so I will upload pics as and when I can.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good afternoon folks,

Reconstruction of the back left corner is going strong with completion of the main structure for the tunnel, hillside with access panels and now working my way back to the village with a new road and plans for a 1930's garage/workshop and if room, a blacksmiths forge. Far too messy to photograph right now, but here is a pic of the loco servicing area after detailing it a little.

post-21193-0-04723200-1507036776_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

As you can guess, I am not a prolific poster, however, i have been hard at work on the layout and have almost completed the remodelling of the back left corner with new track layout, new hillside/tunnel, road bridge, motorcar workshop/garage, and completion of Church Lane. Static grass and foilage added, although a bit more to do before its complete. Now adding some detail to the area, plus a cameo scene or two and it will be ready for me to take a few pics. Hopefully after Xmas.

Have a Merry Christmas everybody.

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I quickly took a few pics this morning before heading out to work - quality of the pics aren't very good at all, so will get better ones in the New Year when I have added the detail and cleaned up a little!

Motor Vehicle workshop/garage is a Scalescenes download and I have added detail such as benches, lathe & drill (Wills workshop kit), lifting jack, oil dispenser, pumps etc (Garage workshop kit from Scalelink), shelving, posters and various tools (etched kit from Severn Models). I have fitted interior lighting so when its wired up I will take a shot of the inside.

Motorcycle is from the Airfix RAF Bomber Group Resupply kit, pumps are Scale-link. Little side shed was scratchbuilt and holds an Oxford M/C with sidecar. Stone walls are from Ebay. Bridge was scratchbuilt using foamboard with Slaters Plasticard overlay. Static grass was applied with my homemade grass applicator topped of with various flocks/scatters.

More detail to add to all areas..... I have a plan to hide the joins in the roads as the garage scene, row of cottages and 90 degree left hand bend sections are individually removable sections so I can gain access to the track under the hillside and reach into far corner. 

post-21193-0-21020500-1513773755_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-24615000-1513773776_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-29864500-1513773796_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-61028500-1513773815_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-99437600-1513773963_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-17438600-1513773980_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here are a few more pics after cleaning up a little and adding a bit more detail. Its been several months since I ran a loco so my next job is to clean the room up, clean the rest of the layout and track and dust off the Roco z21 for a serious running session!

post-21193-0-16447000-1515065754_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-62045200-1515065780_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-13770900-1515065813_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-33056800-1515065841_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-91261700-1515065868_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-52847900-1515065893_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-01358300-1515065928_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-43852100-1515065952_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-45275700-1515065989_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Wow, just come across this, fantastic layout, great  workmanship, beautiful detail, captures re the atmosphere just perfectly.

Rgds...Mike

• RMweb Gold

Full of atmosphere.  A very well composed and harmonious overall scene, but also packed with well-observed detail.  Very well modelled; a very successful model railway. I do enjoy your pictures.

Enjoy the running!

Most kind Edwardian - I see your layout is coming along very nicely - i wish I had your confidence you build my own track. Your layout thread is definitely the most interesting one on the forum and your building techniques are superb!! Lets hope you are up and running trains in the very near future too!!