Sound for an Atlas GP40 Dual mode loco. Help please?

dasatcopthorne

Hi Guys.

I've fitted around 20 UK diesels with sound, but now I have my first US motor to kit out.

It's an Atlas GP 40 High Nose number number 1338.

This has a circuit board which is switchable between DC & DCC by moving the 8 pin blanking plug.

As far as I can assertain, fitting many US locos with sound is a whole lot different.

Can anyone suggest, please, what is the best route and who makes the required bits.

Do you need to fit a whole new circuit board or can you plug in a decoder to the DC half or the socket?

The speaker seems to be another matter. I'm thinking sugar cube in the fuel tank. Has anyone experience of this please?

All help very gratefully received.

Cheers

Dave

I would look at a circuit-board replacement solution like the Soundtraxx TSU-AT1000 (assuming that is the pattern of circuit board in the loco). You would need EMD 645 Turbo sounds.

Adrian

Agree. I have a Soundtraxx TSU-AT1000 replacement board in my Atlas GP40.

• RMweb Gold

I would look at a circuit-board replacement solution like the Soundtraxx TSU-AT1000 (assuming that is the pattern of circuit board in the loco). You would need EMD 645 Turbo sounds.

Adrian

Hi Dave,

I agree on this choice of sound decoder - I have 3 of them fitted in either Atlas GP38 or GP40 locomotives.

Thanks

Hi Guys.

I've fitted around 20 UK diesels with sound, but now I have my first US motor to kit out.

It's an Atlas GP 40 High Nose number number 1338.

This has a circuit board which is switchable between DC & DCC by moving the 8 pin blanking plug.

As far as I can assertain, fitting many US locos with sound is a whole lot different.

Can anyone suggest, please, what is the best route and who makes the required bits.

Do you need to fit a whole new circuit board or can you plug in a decoder to the DC half or the socket?

The speaker seems to be another matter. I'm thinking sugar cube in the fuel tank. Has anyone experience of this please?

All help very gratefully received.

Cheers

Dave

Replace the board.  As the others have noted, that plug isn't a DCC plug at all but rather some sort of jumper that enables/disables the decoder.  As for a sound decoder, I prefer the Loksound Direct Select over the Tsunami.  Speaker - look at taking some material off the weight in the long hood end and tucking a speaker up there; sugarcube with a proper enclosure/baffle would do well.  Finally, be sure to remove the 12v bulbs that came in the model and replace them with LEDs; those 12v bulbs will get hot enough to melt the shell.

I'm guessing from the number it's an N&W model.

Replace the board.  As the others have noted, that plug isn't a DCC plug at all but rather some sort of jumper that enables/disables the decoder.  As for a sound decoder, I prefer the Loksound Direct Select over the Tsunami.  Speaker - look at taking some material off the weight in the long hood end and tucking a speaker up there; sugarcube with a proper enclosure/baffle would do well.  Finally, be sure to remove the 12v bulbs that came in the model and replace them with LEDs; those 12v bulbs will get hot enough to melt the shell.

I'm guessing from the number it's an N&W model.

Thanks for that Craig. And the bit about the lights. Yes N&W.

Who in the UK has Loksound direct, please?

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

I had to get the Loksound Direct from USA if I wanted them to have US loco sounds on them.

I paid £55.00 plus UK Customs for them from the US.

Several suppliers on eBay.

Thanks

Got my US sounds blown onto a Loksound v4 by Ian (aka Legoman) at D&E videos - if the sounds are on the ESU website he can download the project for you ! Turnaround was two days last time I used him for a P42.

Chris

I second Coastal DCC as a UK supplier. I would also go for Loksound or TCS Wowsound over Soundtraxx Tsunami any day. The horns will be far better for one thing. If you do fit a Tsunami, then fit a Keep Alive as well, otherwise in my experience they are a very "fussy" decoder, prone to stalling even on clean track, & the lights go off & the sounds stop as a result. All very frustrating, as the actual engine sounds are very good.

• 6 months later...

Archived