Speed limits on the S&D

JZ

I am in the process of setting the maximum speed of my loco's to something more realistic and was wondering if there was a speed limit on the S&D mainline.  Obviously the gradients would limit what was actually attainable on the climbs, particularly with steam loco's**. I think I may have read somewhere that it may have been 75 mph.

** If you know my layout, it hypothesizes that the S&D never fell into WR hands and therefore traffic changed within the normal boundaries of the period. Diesels and DMUs appear, as do alternative steam power. 

• RMweb Gold

Maximum permitted speed on the S&DJtR 'mainline' was increased from 60 mph to 70 mph in 1945 - I can't find any later information.  LMS (including Midland by implication) design tender locos were restricted to a maximum of 45 mph when running tender first.

There were of course numerous places, especially at stations, where the maximum permitted speed was much lower than the overall line limit.

The 60MPH limit was re-imposed about 1961 after it was realised the hammer-blow caused by the likes of the 9F's at speed was doing a little damage to track and immediate infrastructure. Signs showing 60 were in a few places between Blandford, and Corfe Mullen Junction. Amongst our colour photo collection, at the club, are a couple showing the speed limit signs, on that section, painted in yellow, yellow paint replaced white in 1963.

• 1 month later...

Archived