Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

Perhaps these aren't the full announcement, but merely additional models due to the demand for ones now sold out.

Might well be the that something else will get announced in the next couple of months, who knows? (Well obviously SLW). They don't tend to announce until items are ready to go unlike most other manufacturers too.

I'm happy I've got a d5016 on the way (well eventually as they've graciously allowed a payment plan to allow me to spread the cost, very helpful! Also means that I could order a sound fitted one rather than just a normal one which would have been the case if I had to pay all in one go).

Interestingly, they picked D5017 for the next one that was Southern-based for a while; this is actually a better choice than D5016, which only spent a matter of a month or two on the SR, whereas D5000 and D5017 (among others) spent close to three years based at Hither Green. When I bought D5016 (an excellent model, BTW), I set about renumbering it to D5017, coincidentally.

Interestingly, they picked D5017 for the next one that was Southern-based for a while; this is actually a better choice than D5016, which only spent a matter of a month or two on the SR, whereas D5000 and D5017 (among others) spent close to three years based at Hither Green. When I bought D5016 (an excellent model, BTW), I set about renumbering it to D5017, coincidentally.

Renumbering to D5017 was my plan too for D5016. I only really need the one as it is a little outside my era for what I'm working on (around 67), but as I am aiming for the era to be chargeable with careful planning of features etc it should be fine.

• Like 1

Perhaps these aren't the full announcement, but merely additional models due to the demand for ones now sold out.

Might well be the that something else will get announced in the next couple of months, who knows? (Well obviously SLW). They don't tend to announce until items are ready to go unlike most other manufacturers too.

I'm happy I've got a d5016 on the way (well eventually as they've graciously allowed a payment plan to allow me to spread the cost, very helpful! Also means that I could order a sound fitted one rather than just a normal one which would have been the case if I had to pay all in one go).

The Email quite specifically states that these additional models are to replenish stocks as they are close to selling out on several models as they have been more orders than expected in the post Christmas period....

So I don't read this as the announcement that everybody is anticipating....

I think it's great that they are selling so well.... it will hopefully give confidence to the guys to keep developing the different class 24 variants and eventually the class 25....

Now I have a problem... do I order 24063 before it's sold out...order the newly announced 24091, or wait to see if anything is announced at model rail Scotland!

The Email quite specifically states that these additional models are to replenish stocks as they are close to selling out on several models as they have been more orders than expected in the post Christmas period....

So I don't read this as the announcement that everybody is anticipating....

I think it's great that they are selling so well.... it will hopefully give confidence to the guys to keep developing the different class 24 variants and eventually the class 25....

Now I have a problem... do I order 24063 before it's sold out...order the newly announced 24091, or wait to see if anything is announced at model rail Scotland!

Or re-mortgage and buy both, keeping something in reserve for a couple which might appear at Model Rail Scotland...

Andy Mac, don't bother trying to choose between 63 and 91, just get them both.

With no price rise this year, in real terms they're getting cheaper!

Lol.... stop it! They are getting cheaper..... when the first one came out at £160, there was an obvious price differential, but far suppierior model... now, the price differential is reducing and your still getting the better model....

I'll wait to see if there are any announcements at model rail Scotland and then I'll order another one....unfortunately looks like a Bachmann container is due in any time, so got a few things on pre order so finances will be stretched over next few weeks....

Lol.... stop it! They are getting cheaper..... when the first one came out at £160, there was an obvious price differential, but far suppierior model... now, the price differential is reducing and your still getting the better model....

I'll wait to see if there are any announcements at model rail Scotland and then I'll order another one....unfortunately looks like a Bachmann container is due in any time, so got a few things on pre order so finances will be stretched over next few weeks....

Andy be a leader not a follower. Grab it while its there when its gone its gone lol Edited by Shroomy

I haven't bought one yet as £290 for an all singing all dancing version is rather expensive at the moment - I can't find any details about a 'payment plan' on the website - can you advise the details please ?

I haven't bought one yet as £290 for an all singing all dancing version is rather expensive at the moment - I can't find any details about a 'payment plan' on the website - can you advise the details please ?

Holmesfeldian if your interest in a payment plan phone Jamie-lee and speak to her about it

You won't be the only one

It costs £10 to set up

Holmesfeldian if your interest in a payment plan phone Jamie-lee and speak to her about it

You won't be the only one

It costs £10 to set up

She can also sort it out via email if required , as she did for me. Very helpful. I have a hatred of using phones so tend to try avoiding them.

Can't believe there's payment plans!

How about a PLP - Personal Loco Plan, basically I pay 10 % initial payment (£28 for a sound fitted EM one), then take delivery of a brand new sulzer rat. Then I pay £5 a month for  36 months, then (subject to an excess loco mileage fee) I give the loco back in 2020 and get a new one or pay a final payment of 40% and keep the loco. 

Heljan, and Hornby, alas were unable to offer this plan as all too frequently there was no chassis left after 3 years due to MAZAK rot!

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

• RMweb Gold

Renumbering to D5017 was my plan too for D5016. I only really need the one as it is a little outside my era for what I'm working on (around 67), but as I am aiming for the era to be chargeable with careful planning of features etc it should be fine.

I will probably have to do the opposite. I wanted D5016 as it was the first Pilot Scheme diesel I had for haulage ex-works in 1959. I missed out on it so will have to get a D5017 and change it to D5016 unless I can pick up or barter one s/h.
  • Like 1

I will probably have to do the opposite. I wanted D5016 as it was the first Pilot Scheme diesel I had for haulage ex-works in 1959. I missed out on it so will have to get a D5017 and change it to D5016 unless I can pick up or barter one s/h.

Or perhaps find someone willing to swap.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I enquired about a spare green (wih nose doors) bodyshell and full tanks for my blue 24 but unfortunately SLW were unable to oblige. The end result being I bought a second 24, D5000.

So, I now have the following combination I need to do something with:

Bodyshell from 24063.

Chassis with valances from D5000.

Tanks from 24063 (no water boiler tank... I think)

Essentially 24063 but with valances above the tanks.

I searched Flickr but unfortunately the only blue valanced 24's I could find still had their nose doors and full tanks. I don't suppose anyone more knowledgeable can give me any ideas or do I need to find someone who doesn't mind doing a bit of modelling to take it on?

The other parts I am keeping (chassis without valances, D5000 bodyshell and full tanks) are destined to become D5061.

The valances are removable, if that helps.

It might, does this mean it will look the same as the blue one below the bodyside i.e. just three brackets above the tanks and one above the centre of each bogie? (bad description but I don't know the technical terms!) Or do you mean I can swap mouldings between the blue and green loco?

Thanks.

It might, does this mean it will look the same as the blue one below the bodyside i.e. just three brackets above the tanks and one above the centre of each bogie? (bad description but I don't know the technical terms!) Or do you mean I can swap mouldings between the blue and green loco?

Thanks.

I know what you mean; I have had to remove the valances at times to remove the bodies on my two green ones. I'm not sure if the three 'brackets' are there under the valances or if they are separate mouldings (I can't remember for sure, it was too long ago that I last pulled them off), but either way you should be able to achieve what you want. SLW have made so many of these parts as separate fittings to allow them to create most of the permutations on these type 2s.

The valances just clip off in three parts on each side, so you can pull one side off and have a look at what detail is on the solebars (or whatever it was the 24s have!).

I went back through this topic looking for any pictures of a green one someone may have taken apart so I could take a look at how the valances came off, then discovered D5000 has the wrong number of radiator grilles to convert to D5061.

I don't think slw have done a green bodyshell with the correct number of grilles so it's bite the bullet and fill them in, or just renumber D5000 and decide not to care about the wrong grilles.

This drive for accuracy is a complete minefield to me.

I went back through this topic looking for any pictures of a green one someone may have taken apart so I could take a look at how the valances came off, then discovered D5000 has the wrong number of radiator grilles to convert to D5061.

I don't think slw have done a green bodyshell with the correct number of grilles so it's bite the bullet and fill them in, or just renumber D5000 and decide not to care about the wrong grilles.

I know nothing really on the 24 apart from I like it but what about this

SLW 2403A: Class 24 No. D5017 (BR Green - No SYP)

One of the pilot scheme locos built at Derby Works, D5017 features an extra bodyside air intake grille and is also an example from batch that were originally fitted with the large Athermos axle boxes. It also satisfies the requirement for a loco in standard BR green livery before the application of warning panels. D5017 spent its early life on loan to the Southern, before moving north to Crewe

Just reread your post you want less grills not more sorry

Edited by Shroomy

They did have D5098 and D5107 with the "correct" number of grilles, but both appear to have sold out now. They may have had small yellow warning panels, but it would not be difficult to paint those out. As it stands, all of D5000, D5016 and D5017 have the extra grilles fitted to many, but not all of the pilot batch. Additionally, both D5016 and D5017 have the distinctive Athermos axleboxes.