Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

Patience observed calmly will be rewarded...

The good lady does crosswords & I reckon that's an anagram for something & 'iak' knows what the new model is - have at it chaps, I'm sure the answer's there!

Take your minds off the waiting, if nothing else... ;)

The sarcasm from Porcy isn't particularly welcome in my opinion.

Whilst on a thread not too far from here people are practically reaching a state of delirium about low-fi detail,  high price reissues from Barwell, that won't be available for God know's how long, the faithful on here are mocked for anticipating something which: 

a. will be streets ahead of the competition in terms of detail and fidelity and sound

b. will be available when it's announced, not sometime in the next 5 years.

c. will be value for money, regardless of cost, rather than high cost regardless of value!

The sarcasm from Porcy isn't particularly welcome in my opinion.

Whilst on a thread not too far from here people are practically reaching a state of delirium about low-fi detail,  high price reissues from Barwell, that won't be available for God know's how long, the faithful on here are mocked for anticipating something which: 

a. will be streets ahead of the competition in terms of detail and fidelity and sound

b. will be available when it's announced, not sometime in the next 5 years.

c. will be value for money, regardless of cost, rather than high cost regardless of value!

It will certainly match the work of IKB himself 

The good lady does crosswords & I reckon that's an anagram for something & 'iak' knows what the new model is - have at it chaps, I'm sure the answer's there!

Take your minds off the waiting, if nothing else... ;)

I doubt it's an anagram, simply from the fact that there's only one 's'.

Well, I had been resisting getting one of these for months, but my valiant efforts have ultimately ended in vain, as I've just ordered a sound-fitted 24063, probably for renumbering to 24081, ironically enough.

It's really a bit early for my layout, but I reckon it will look good at the head of the breakdown train or an unfitted freight, or even the Inspection saloon if I don't weather it too heavily,

Can't wait to hear that burbling Sulzer sound on the layout. It's one of my favourite sounds of all on the railway.

Hopefully, that's one step closer to SLW producing some 25s too... Hint, hint.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, I had been resisting getting one of these for months, but my valiant efforts have ultimately ended in vain, as I've just ordered a sound-fitted 24063, probably for renumbering to 24081, ironically enough.

It's really a bit early for my layout, but I reckon it will look good at the head of the breakdown train or an unfitted freight, or even the Inspection saloon if I don't weather it too heavily,

Can't wait to hear that burbling Sulzer sound on the layout. It's one of my favourite sounds of all on the railway.

You will not regret succumbing, I have 24063 and 24081, both with sound, and they are the bees knees.

One word or caution: mine are P4 fitted and I had to clean the wheels quite well as they seemed to have a coating that made power pickup inconsistent. Not sure what gauge you have and if 00 wheels are the same.

Roy

You will not regret succumbing, I have 24063 and 24081, both with sound, and they are the bees knees.

One word or caution: mine are P4 fitted and I had to clean the wheels quite well as they seemed to have a coating that made power pickup inconsistent. Not sure what gauge you have and if 00 wheels are the same.

Roy

Cheers Roy. Can't wait to get it. It's amazing I've lasted this long really.

Mine will be 00. I went for the supercap option, so I'm hoping pick-up won't be an issue. Most of my Bo-Bos run better than my Co-Cos (Bachmann 20s and 25s mainly) despite fewer pick-ups, so I'm surprised you've had an issue at all.

Hi again Roy, just re-read your post - you mean you had to clean them well in the beginning - not that you've got an ongoing problem with them?

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1

Guest Q663368

Congratulations, you will not be disappointed. Like you say, there is nothing sounds so good as a burbling Sulzer, unless it is two, or three, or...............

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mine will be 00. I went for the supercap option, so I'm hoping pick-up won't be an issue. Most of my Bo-Bos run better than my Co-Cos (Bachmann 20s and 25s mainly) despite fewer pick-ups, so I'm surprised you've had an issue at all.

Hi again Roy, just re-read your post - you mean you had to clean them well in the beginning - not that you've got an ongoing problem with them?

Yes, I had to clean them before use. I always start off on a rolling road to bed locos in and they just would not run at all well, sound dropping, movement stopping. The rolling road itself was ok and other locos ran ok on it. 

I have to admit, I didn't get the supercap on 24081 but did on 24063. I wish I had it on both and will buy it on my next purchase.

I am afraid you will never look at your Bachmann 25s in the same way now. If you compare a Hornby 25 with a Bachmann one, that is how Bachmann and SLW stack up. Hopefully Phil and Jamie will announce a 25 soon and I can relegate my Bachmann 25s to one of my sons and the Hornby ones he uses to ebay.

Roy

• Like 1

I might be able to save you a job as I have 24081 and decided I actually want D5061. So depending on which is the best base model with the correct detail (axleboxes etc) I might be getting a respray done or selling and getting the correct base model. Either way we could do a body swap if you wanted.

I'm not up on bodyside detail and the different axleboxes etc, so if someone could point me towards the right model to turn into D5061 it would be a big help.

I might be able to save you a job as I have 24081 and decided I actually want D5061. So depending on which is the best base model with the correct detail (axleboxes etc) I might be getting a respray done or selling and getting the correct base model. Either way we could do a body swap if you wanted.

I'm not up on bodyside detail and the different axleboxes etc, so if someone could point me towards the right model to turn into D5061 it would be a big help.

Hi Norm81,

Yep, I'd be interested if anyone can help with the detail differences...

• RMweb Gold

It would appear that the long announced Bachmann 24/1 is "still" in the drawing office, question is will it progress any further, or are they just delaying it, awaiting confirmation that SLW already have them on a "boat" .............. :sungum:

Is that an attempt at wish-listing a Deltic? :jester:

Roy

Bet you don't wait so long to get the next one ;)
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Was that all though, Roy? We're only talking a potential body swap...

Will get both of mine out later and take a good look. But the reason I mentioned the sandboxes is that just a bodyswap will result in the wrong type for 24081.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Just out of interest what is the Hall sensor kit ?

You use magnets in the track to trigger decoder functions. Detonators for example.

Edit: to elaborate the sensor mounts on the loco and connects to the PCB. You then mount magnets in strategic places as needed. Not bothered myself.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann's 40 is OK, but bogies, underframe, windscreens, cab interior, fan and grille could all be improved on to slw standards not to mention running qualities, em/p4, and especially sound.

I don't think it will happen but an slw 40 would be stunning.

I think just about every current diesel or electric model could be "improved to SLW standards". Personally I'd like a Class 47/0, but I'm not holding my breath. A highland 24/1 seems like a logical next step, but perhaps Phil may consider the Class 24 market has been saturated for now. Or not, as the Scottish locos had completely different operating areas.

Is that an attempt at wish-listing a Deltic? :jester:

Roy

Deltic - Ha Ha - no chance of that - loads of "Sulzer" options to produce yet....................... :yes:

Headcode box 24 is coming...............soon hopefully...........

Hence the Facebook page teaser

and also consider

why have headlight circuits already built in to the generic 24/25 circuit boards - 25's don't have headlights ! 

Edited by tractor_37260

Hi Norm81,

Yep, I'd be interested if anyone can help with the detail differences...

24 081 and 24 063 are virtually identical, apart from the white painted details, and the different sandboxes  ?...below taken from the SLW site

Our PURCHASE page has been updated to reflect the latest stock situation. Cat No. 2402 - No. 24081 in BR Blue with embellishments is now out of stock. We remind you that Cat No. 2404 (24 063) is almost identical apart from the running number and the white-painted fittings. 

• RMweb Gold

Deltic - Ha Ha - no chance of that - loads of "Sulzer" options to produce yet....................... :yes:

Headcode box 24 is coming...............soon hopefully...........

Hence the Facebook page teaser

and also consider

why have headlight circuits already built in to the generic 24/25 circuit boards - 25's don't have headlights !

I don't disagree, although what I would say is that PCB could be used for almost anything, not just small Sulzers. It has all the connections needed for most locos. SLW may have been clever and designed something that can be used for lots of classes.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge