Can you up grade DCC Select Controller .

DonnyRailMan

The Elite had a firmware upgrade a while ago (over a year at least) but I don't know about the Select. The Hornby website should have any information on upgrades, as any downloads would be available there.

What is it you are hoping to upgrade it with? Bearing in mind that the Select is marketed as their entry level system so won't have all the features available to the Elite.

Cheers

J

The best way to upgrade it is by binning it and buying a new controller. It's a poor system that has innumerable compatibility issues, and few of these are resolved by Hornby's firmware upgrades.

Although you may resolve some of the issues by a firmware update, you'll no doubt run into quite a few in the future. Have a read through the forum on other threads discussing this controller - it just really ain't worth the hassle.

I was watching a youtube video where it was being used with a TTS Loco but not all

functions would work on the Select. The thing is I have a new Select I never have used

so thought would it be possible to download any updates (ie ) so TTS would work in full.

• RMweb Gold

As usual don't answer the question but knock the Select.

I've got 2 of them used as Walkabouts connected to the Elite, at exhibitions the Selects are at the front of the layout so the children can actually play trains, never had an issue with them in the many years they've been used, so they can't be that bad, and that's running N-gauge locos.

The only thing I would like is for them to be able to write CV's.

There are other systems that can write CV's only using PoM which would really help in setting the decoder up or even just resetting it, hopefully they may upgrade the firmware to do this one day.

When you power it up look at the numbers that are displayed.

There is a sequence, I think if it's on the latest firmware it should be 15-30-03 first number 15 is V1.5 firmware, second number 30 is hardware version and last number is the default address 03.

This will indeed allow access to all 28 functions, not a really smooth way to operate the functions by any means but at least you can operate them now.

Just type in the number then press function, it should display "On"  for a few seconds press again it should show "Of"for off.

To get the latest version V1.5 you need to send them to Hornby where they will be updated.

They charge £15 for this update trying to justify it because it's a major update to increase the functions.

I say that's garbage and a bit cheeky of them to say the least, but you either go without or pay the money, which is what they are hoping for.

However If your controller is less than one year old they will upgrade it free of charge.

Hope this helps.

Archived