sjp23480

Terry

The programme Stephen is talking about is a completely different one to what you have on disc. Its been filmed by itv drama this year 2015 highlighting the life of naves working during thebuilding of the midland line over from Carlisle to Settle

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I do wonder if this is a UK remake of the American series "Hell on Wheels" but it looks interesting.

As it is a fictionalised take on the building of a viaduct in Yorkshire and the shanty town for the workers, both of which are historical events I don't see where America comes into it.

http://pd.blue1023.server-cp.com/pdwm.php?i=1180528&s=11903&p=2&t=%27Plaque%20commemorating%20the%20Shanty%20Towns%20erected%20during%20the%20construction%20of%20the%20Ribblehead%20Viaduct%20Leeds%20Settle%20Carlisle%20railway%20Batty%20Moss%20,%20Yorkshire%20Dales%20National%20Park%20,%20England%20,%20U%20K%20,%20Europe%27&website=%27Photographers%20Direct%27

It's OK, the acting IMHO was a bit wooden and the whole thing a bit stolid.

One of the critics described it as "A Western set in Yorkshire" and it is just that.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I watched the first episode and found it a bit soft! There seemed to be almost as many women as men. I thought these camps/shantytowns were populated by hundreds of hard drinking loons!

The pub on there looked lovely, probably in the good beer guide. I bet they do an excellent afternoon tea and quality bar meals!

Didn't bother with the second episode

While it's by no means a 'remake' of  'Hell On Wheels' it is very obviously an attempt at a British equivalent.

They had made some effort to assemble a train which looked reasonably close to the period depicted with what appeared to be some 4-wheel coaches and a saddle-tank (I was half expecting some BR Mk1s!) but then ruined the effect with a relatively modern goods brake van behind them. 

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I watched the first episode last night and really enjoyed it.

The cinematography is wonderful and makes the most of the magnificent desolation (with apologies to E Aldrin) of the Dales.  

It's really interesting to see the construction of the Ribblehead viaduct underway (albeit named the Culverdale viaduct in what is, of course, a dramatisation) and the negotiations that were needed to make it happen with an interesting contrast between the visionaries and engineers and those with the money.

I was surprised and impressed that the train depicted did feature panelled 4-wheel coaches.  I am no expert but they looked to me that at least they might be authentic!

In the end it's just a drama; the plot has flaws, some of the characters may be unrealistic, and the acting - at least among the younger cast members - was at times a little wooden.

But I am certainly looking forward to watching episode 2.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Some of the railway scenes were filmed on the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Railway. The carriages used were from the Stately Trains fleet, GER six wheelers. I take the point about the brake van (no MR van is based on the line) but what stood out for me was the concrete sleepers. 

• RMweb Premium

Hello all,

It's really interesting to see the construction of the Ribblehead viaduct underway (albeit named the Culverdale viaduct in what is, of course, a dramatisation) and the negotiations that were needed to make it happen with an interesting contrast between the visionaries and engineers and those with the money.

cheers

Ben A.

Probably nothing like what happened as by the time the MR were building the S&C they were a well established company and would, I imagine, have raised all the necessary funds beforehand from the Banking sector.

We are past the main phase of railway speculation when all and sundry were invited to invest in all sorts of "hair-brained" railway schemes.

The viaducts, stations and other infrastructure are all part of an overall plan for the line in place before the start of construction.

Interestingly the viaduct could have had 24 (as built) arches or just 18 depending on whether there were enough stonemasons for the piers etc. or navvies for extending the embankments.

I watched the first episode and found it a bit soft! There seemed to be almost as many women as men. I thought these camps/shantytowns were populated by hundreds of hard drinking loons!

Batty Wife Hole, one of the shanties on the S&C had a Sunday School, Day School, Mission House, Library, Post Office, Pub, Shops & Hospital!

Keith

It is keeping me interested enough to keep watching. I am grateful that a drama based around a railway theme has been made. Whatever its marginal technical faults, it is a decent enough bit of entertainment on a cold night. It isn't an historically accurate documentary, to avoid confusion, but I am impressed with the extent they have gone to for authenticity, given this clearly doesn't have the budget of many.

I presume the Yank is in it to try to ensure US sales, as seems to be the need these days. And he is a naughty man, which is unusual.

Archived