JLTRT Class 37 Build  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Assistance with build

• Assistance with build
    • Bogies

• RMweb Gold

post-12217-0-50928100-1452101003_thumb.jpgpost-12217-0-43017600-1452101067_thumb.jpgpost-12217-0-18326100-1452101082_thumb.jpgHi, I'm Jim and although I have been on RMweb for a few years I have never started a forum but now is the time to start as I will need some assistance in getting my project up and running.

I have been building a DCC O gauge layout based on a 1980 / 90 's TMD and during this time I have accumulated several loco's whether they have been kit built or the r-t-r Heljan models. For several years I have always looked at the JLTRT kits and always wanted to have a go at building one and now the chance has come and the Class 37 has arrived on the work desk.

The body has already been built to a high standard and primed so this is one less job for me to do..... I am going to base my loco on 37198 running two motors and as for livery I am looking for it to be finished in "Dutch Engineers".

I have read through Brian Daniels as well as other modellers forums on these builds and I am hoping that I can tap into your experience and knowledge to get this loco out of the box and on to the build. I plan to use Roxey fold up etch gear box fitted with mashima 1833 motors with pluger pick ups running Slaters wheels, so my first question is, I suppose the top of the bogies will have to be cut to accommodate these motors?

Apologies for the long winded entry.

Jim

post-12217-0-50928100-1452101003_thumb.jpg

post-12217-0-43017600-1452101067_thumb.jpg

post-12217-0-18326100-1452101082_thumb.jpg

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 5

Have you thought of approaching Steph for some bogies like the ones he did for Mr Grumpy's class 47, also on here?

They feature motors low down in the bogies with two axles driven and no delrin, plus split axle pickups?

Or even look at the ABC motor bogies?

If you use the same motorizing set-up as I have done then yes you will need to remove a bit of the top of the frame. Do this once you have the motor and gearbox mated together to find out how much to remove until it sits in the hole nicely. I take it from the picture that the cab rear bulkheads are already glued in place? If they are, best of luck painting them!

• RMweb Gold

post-12217-0-81642400-1452625020_thumb.jpgThanks chaps for your prompt responses, no doubt I will be pestering you again as your advice is priceless :good:

Brian, Yes you are right the bulkhead has been glued in so painting is going to be a struggle so I will have to look for the smallest paint brush ever.. :O

post-12217-0-81642400-1452625020_thumb.jpg

Edited by jcarta

Hi Jim,

Good luck with your build.  I'll be watching how you get on as I fancy having a go at the JLTRT tractor myself.

I hope you have better luck than me in getting the motor and gearbox mated together correctly.  I couldn't get it right for some reason and the gears just made lots of metal filings so ended up getting the Slaters gearbox instead.  That's no comment or criticism of the Roxey gearbox and gears.... more of my ineptitude :D

Cheers

Lee

Edited by HealeyMills

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lee

I will let you know how I fair with the gear box etc.... Feel free to drop in on this build as it seems we are both watching one another's build....... :)

Cheers

Jim

Have you thought of approaching Steph for some bogies like the ones he did for Mr Grumpy's class 47, also on here?

They feature motors low down in the bogies with two axles driven and no delrin, plus split axle pickups?

Or even look at the ABC motor bogies?

The ABC bogie looks very nice.......

post-19951-0-33529600-1452129826.jpeg

• Like 3

Whilst the ABC IS quite expensive, bear in mind that you get the wheels and pickups, which is over £50 in money terms.

Plus they really are the Rolls-Royce of drives. Fit and forget, silky smooth and quiet.

All

I have heard about Steph's Class 47 drive method before but does he have a link to his page?

Jim

This should get you there....

However, I think Steph's 47 motor/gearbox he done forme is a one off at present. You can buy the components and do yourself, Steph would split the axles though. Mine are here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106181-djh-class-47/?p=2138886

This is Steph's site:

http://www.euram-online.co.uk/stephdale/index.html

Edited by Mr Grumpy

• RMweb Gold

Started on the tractor today, not by a lot though as I was transferring all the small bits to a new home so none got mislaid.

Then I thought I give the bufferbeam décor a quick primer and start on the cab panels in readiness for tomorrow when all will be dried. So in the meantime I done a little bit more on the 20t brake van....

post-12217-0-44761800-1452364787_thumb.jpg

post-12217-0-90493900-1452365232_thumb.jpg

post-12217-0-96844200-1452365259_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Didn't do a lot today apart from tidying up my work bench..... SWMBO told me to do it.... personally I was of a different opinion!!!!

Anyway once tidied I tackled the cab instrument panels and then carried on with the brake van as I need to clear a few things off the desk...

post-12217-0-24268600-1452453789_thumb.jpg

post-12217-0-70247700-1452453813_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Gareth

Sadly this is how I purchased the kit and it is well glued in, so I don't want to tempt fate and damage the bulkhead or body by trying to remove it.... :no:

I will have to try and paint it the best I can with the smallest paint brush ever ...

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Evening All

Well Some more parts have arrived today but in the meantime I have started on the buffer beam furniture and I would like to know what colours the pipework needs to be painted.....

Jim

post-12217-0-81642400-1452625020_thumb.jpg

Hi Jim,

This might help, but check the order of yellow and white as I have a funny feeling these are the wrong way around:

post-4186-0-12664800-1452627154_thumb.jpg

Failing that, just google loco buffer beam.

Oh yes.... if you are not going to have the pipework connected to the buffer beam by chains you need to remove the 'pointy bit' on each pipe.... I made this mistake on my Class 40 build.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by HealeyMills

Hi Jim,

A. Are engine control air pipes, which have white ends. On a 37 they are in pairs beneath each buffer.

B. Are main reservoir pipes and have yellow ends and are on the inside edge of each buffer.

C. Are Vacuum left and air right and have red ends.

D. Are steam heating pipes and have silver ends.

E. Are vacuum pipes red ends again with the pipe extensions on them.

Hope this helps.

Vin

• RMweb Gold

Well I am just waiting for some bits to arrive for the 37 and the I can carry on with the build so hopefully they will arrive some time this week.... :drag:

So in the meantime I have painted the buffer beam pipework to the correct colours, one less job later on...So to keep me occupied and from getting under someone's feet I decided to start on the low relief depot that I have been planning for a couple of weeks... This is the first part of it... :paint:

post-12217-0-92697300-1453150128_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Evening Jeff

This is a freelance building.... I just wanted a small building that would stand out from the back scenery and store (half in half out) my condemned Class 08...

I will add another side building to it so it gives some depth.

Thanks for dropping in :declare:

Jim 

• RMweb Gold

Evening

Some of the bits that were ordered have arrived for the 37 so I can start on the build in the next few days...

In the meantime I carried on with the low relief depot building, although not finished as I had to order some Plastruct parts today so I am waiting for my over worked postie to deliver..

The depot has been placed on the railway just to make sure it fits in place with the condemned 08 in sticking its nose out...  

I am going to have a go at making some modern lamps for the outside of the depot building, unless anyone knows if they can be purchased as ready made?

Jim

post-12217-0-40248500-1453323031_thumb.jpg

• Like 2