JLTRT Class 37 Build  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Assistance with build

• Assistance with build
    • Bogies

Hi Jim,

Is that a JLTRT 08 as well??  Why is it condemned it looks fine to me :)

...and if it's condemned it's taking up valuable shed/ maintenance space ;)

Hope you manage to get more done on the tractor soon, it gets frustrating having them sitting there and nothing getting done doesn't it

Will you be spraying the loco?

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon Lee

The 08 was an MMP kit that I purchased last year that had been already assembled, sadly badly :O

I had to completely stripped it down to see if I could do anything with the chassis as I reckon it was soldered by a welding torch, this distorted the chassis so much that the axles did not fit hence why it never ran properly. So after many weeks debating on what to do with it, it was deemed to have a condemned 08 on the layout, so a new paint job was given to it, numbered up and then weathered accordingly it now sits proudly on the layout..... :senile:

I have sprayed a few of my locos so I will endeavour to spray the tractor in engineers grey (Dutch Livery).

On a different note I have opted for Slaters gearboxes and they do fit quite snuggly. The question I have and I believe I have read something on the forums. To fit a delrin chain, do I need to shave a little bit off the sprockets so they also fit between the motor and the inside of the bogie?   :mail:

Cheers

Jim

On a different note I have opted for Slaters gearboxes and they do fit quite snuggly. The question I have and I believe I have read something on the forums. To fit a delrin chain, do I need to shave a little bit off the sprockets so they also fit between the motor and the inside of the bogie?   :mail:

Hi Jim,

Yes, you are correct. In order to fit the delrin chain sprockets into the bogie housing next to the gearbox you need to cut off a little of the sprocket collar.

If you look at the pic below you will see how the un-cut sprocket collar (on the left) is too long (along the axle):

post-4186-0-03357200-1453397882_thumb.jpg

Try to remove as little of the collar as you can though as (I may be wrong) but they seem to loose their 'grip' the more you cut-off.

I'm disappointed that you've gone for the Slaters option though as I was keen to see how you fitted the fold-up gearboxes :D .... I'll have to buy some now and try for myself (again).

Cheers

Lee

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lee

The gearboxes that Roxey sent were ok but they were not square as they had a overlap on the top so I would had to chop out a little more and as this was my first JLTRT kit, I was a bit panicky about doing this but I still have the gearboxes and if I do another one then I will have a go at it for sure :unsure_mini:.

I know a lot of the peeps of RMweb would have assisted with their wealth of knowledge if I got stuck but I don't thing I am quite ready to give a tractor major surgery at this present time  :no:

Thanks for your help though

Jim

Hi Jim,

The delrin gears are easy to cut to fit. Get a 4.8mm drill bit and push the tooth side onto it. Put the drill bit in a vice. Then with a slitting disc on a dremel take off the collar side. The properties of derlin plastic will make it grip the axle on the drive shaft. Slater's have designed their gearboxes with this in mind and JLTRT have made the housings in the bogie to take both. I've had to reduce the depth of the brass bushes to accommodate both.

Hope this helps. Regards

Vin

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon

Well yet another weekend has past with little time to clear the work bench but have managed to achieve a little bit more whilst visiting Howes for some bits that I required.

Firstly, I managed to get the depot off the bench and onto the layout but I still need to put some modern lamps on it and then wire it up.... Since I started to this scratch building I must admit that I have a bug for it now so I am planning a few more low reliefs buildings especially for this end of the depot... :mail:

post-12217-0-69315800-1453650547_thumb.jpg

Ok onto the tractor.... I have started on the bogies by adding the plungers but I am only able to pickups on 2 axles as the slaters gearbox covers up one of the plunger holes so I was thinking about wipers on the last axle of each bogie. I will review this once built.

I had to file out a little part of the bogie to fit the sprockets / chain so it didn't catch on the bogie. Once all fitted the wire was soldered and both were tested, I have to say that both ran well over points etc. I will sort the final wiring once the bogies are painted as I plan to use 0.2mm wire. :locomotive:

post-12217-0-64802800-1453650576_thumb.jpg

post-12217-0-78637300-1453650600_thumb.jpg

post-12217-0-91594000-1453650618_thumb.jpg

post-12217-0-71687300-1453650643_thumb.jpg

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 5

Hi Jim,

It looks like you're making good progress.  I have a couple of questions:

1.  Will you add any spring type retainer to the middle axle to keep it on the track?

2. Do the slaters plungers restrict the sideways movement of the middle axle?

It looks as though you came close to going right through the bogie frame but hey it seems to work ok.

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Gold

Evening Lee

The last picture.... I only filed out the corner section .... the middle section that was how the bogie turned up, I suppose that this is to take the Slaters gearbox...

I never thought about adding a spring type retainer... I think I will need to wait to see how it performs on the club layout..

The plungers don't seem to restrict the movement in any direction on the centre axles.

Thanks for dropping by

Cheers

Jim

Edited by jcarta

• RMweb Gold

I have been filing down the brass parts for the tractor and there is only so much you can do at anyone time before giving up and trying something else and then going back to it a little bit later.

So in the meantime and with some of the plastic sheeting that I had left over from my last build I decided to have a go at making a low relief bridge for the layout in readiness for when the line gets extended to run outside. I have enjoyed making these buildings and now have plans for a few more to be added to the railway in the coming months.

Anyway back to more filing down. :drag:

post-12217-0-87128600-1453918377_thumb.jpg

post-12217-0-40495700-1453918400_thumb.jpg

post-12217-0-58142000-1453918419_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Oh well another weekend that I have been filing the brass parts ..... :no:

The tractor has had the engineers grey sploshed on to it and then some time next week it will have the black bonnet sprayed on

Looking through Flickr for an unusual Class 37 I have decided to go for 37162.

post-12217-0-62910400-1454179352_thumb.jpg

So why that was sitting on the side waiting for the paint to harden over the next few days I decided to have a go at building a bogie bolster from scratch... I am just sourcing a pair of bogies then it will just need some pipe work and couplings added.

post-12217-0-42783900-1454179557_thumb.jpg

post-12217-0-87742500-1454179619_thumb.jpg

post-12217-0-87042500-1454179670_thumb.jpg

post-12217-0-25908300-1454180752.jpg

post-12217-0-90640300-1454179770_thumb.jpg

Well it keeps me occupied and gives me an excuse not to have to traipse around Asda shopping ..... :stinker:

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 4

Hi Jim,

Nice choice of prototype. 37162 was one of the odd departmental grey repaints as it had the same grey on the roof as the bodyside. Most of the others had executive dark grey roofs, like the bodyside grilles. Other odd features of 37162 was it had the extra strapping on the cantrail grilles (Brian mentioned this above), the original frost grilles still attached and the wagon size railfreight petroleum vinyls in the centre.

Looking good, regards.

Vin

• RMweb Gold

Vin & Brian

Yes it was the odd one out, Brian, thanks for mentioning the cant rail addition.... Then I noticed the frost grills, so back in the spray booth for the grills & cant rail..... Now I have to look around for the transfer but I'm not sure if this was on the loco in it's early grey days, 1992.... Will Fox do this transfer?

Jim

Edited by jcarta

Hi Jim,

Both the frost grilles and the strapping on the cantrail grilles are in executive dark grey anyway. As for the logos which were on from its repaint, are probably on the wagon railfreight logo sheet from Fox. I did have a 4mm model of this before the logos were released and used some 2mm scale ones.

Regards

Vin

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Afternoon

I am starting on the bogie assembly and before continuing and making a pigs ear of it I thought I better ask. Some of the brake shoes are angled whilst the rest aren't is there a reason behind this or is the castings incorrect?

post-12217-0-67713000-1455547798_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Evening All

It has been an extremely long time since posting on here and I apologise for that...... The class 37 is still on the workbench or should I say under it somewhere, I will start it again soon, I promise.

I haven't stopped building, I can honestly say that I have been rather busy in 2016 building my 'Ayr Road' Layout, what started off as a TMD in the garage ...... it has now been extended to run into the garden. I do have the privilege of a great mate 'Ray' who has given up his time to assist me with this build. I will post some pictures of the bits and bobs over the next day or so of what we have been up to..... Here are a few pictures to be getting on with....

Jim

post-12217-0-01806900-1484516067_thumb.jpgpost-12217-0-40195500-1484516087_thumb.jpgpost-12217-0-76397000-1484516104_thumb.jpgpost-12217-0-73234900-1484516119_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim,
I started reading your thread thinking, oh thats opportune!  We're going to be building our JLTRT 37s together (well almost!) then I realised I was 12-months behind the flow!  The layout looks wonderful tho, I've been having a wander around your Flickr pages, nice shots.    Now bookmarked and following!

I've been thinking about ABC Gears for my 37, seen as the new layout will have grades and lengthy trains - was there any particular reason you went down the Slaters route for gearboxes?  Im looking forward to getting started .. well I think am :). Still a bit nervous, having not tackled anything that large before, and not wanting to mess up a £400 plus investment!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich

The only reason I went down this route was because other readers were achieving good results.... ABC gearboxes are great and they will probably pull the longest, heaviest train known to the modeller but for the time being mine only has to haul 6-7 coaches or an average length freight.

As for the 37 I will get back onto getting it completed at some stage but the garden extension has been the priority of late .... At the moment I am building some easybuild coaching stock, signals from PH, and the odd wagon so at least we can alter the services in the garden when the weather becomes warmer. :senile:

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich

The only reason I went down this route was because other readers were achieving good results.... ABC gearboxes are great and they will probably pull the longest, heaviest train known to the modeller but for the time being mine only has to haul 6-7 coaches or an average length freight.

As for the 37 I will get back onto getting it completed at some stage but the garden extension has been the priority of late .... At the moment I am building some easybuild coaching stock, signals from PH, and the odd wagon so at least we can alter the services in the garden when the weather becomes warmer. :senile:

Jim

Thanks Jim,

Yes I've been trying to assess which way to go.  Having not experienced either before, which do you think is more on a part with the Heljan pulling power?  Be interested to see how you get on with the Easybuild coaches - are they as their name suggests?  Having now decided to go down the kit-building road (although I want to sort the 37/5 before I do anything else) my mind is wandering onto what other possibilities it opens up!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Rich

Good Evening Sir....

I have to admit ... any kit building in this gauge is extremely daunting and if it weren't for RM webbers like Brian Daniels, HealyMills, Vin and loads of other great modellers we would all still be in the dark and possibly never tackle these kits.... These modellers show us just what can be achieved with a little patience.

Someone on this site actually said, ' learning is doing' and that is the way I go now..... if you have genuinely messed it up a lot of companies now will replace the part(s) free of charge, which now gives me an added incentive to have a go. 

Anyway if you are going to tackle the 37 then I will dig mine out and give it top priority to get the build done, how about it? :this:

Just a few more pictures of Ayr Road extension.....

post-12217-0-17479300-1484596957_thumb.jpg

post-12217-0-54719200-1484596991_thumb.jpg

post-12217-0-03419900-1484597017_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim,

Oh the extension looks good! Is this to act as a fiddle yard, or to be extended further around the garden? Im assuming the latter given where the pointwork is at the bottom.

I've ordered my 37 kit, so just waiting on it arriving now!  Body first tho, so will be a little while before I get round to the bogies - need to have a chat with a few people about motors and gearboxes I think.  The fact that I've got 9ft trains, and grades is pushing me towards ABC, but not sure if its worth the extra expense, given the comments about the alternatives.

I agree with your comments about the incentive from other modellers on here, and I also find that the community spirit, friendship and encouragement from fellow modellers on rmWeb also spurs me on and gives me an incentive to make it happen.  Its nice to share!  I've got a set of Heljan Mk1s for some of the passenger workings on my new layout, but can see the potential for an Easybuild charter set (Intercity white roof perhaps - or maybe push the boat out with the colourful Pilkington K Set!) once the 37 is complete.  Trouble is there's so much you want to achieve, and so little time to achieve it!!

Really like Ayr Road tho - and look forward to seeing more of the extension.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Rich

No.... this area is just a few sidings where I can store some wagons and it also gives an opportunity for another operator to get involved and work the area. The extension is mainly completed now but I will put pictures up as I go along. All that is left to really do is build and place signals, station and buildings on or about the layout.

Roll on the warm weather......

post-12217-0-46805200-1485165233_thumb.jpg

post-12217-0-39590900-1485165254_thumb.jpg

post-12217-0-03187000-1485165269.jpg

post-12217-0-42308600-1485165290.jpg

post-12217-0-84949400-1485165309_thumb.jpg

• Like 2