Lapford Gate North Devon BR Blue O gauge bodging

Devonbelle

Hi, I've been busy over the weekend, photos attached -

Platform completed - I used marine ply, with slaters embossed brick card attached, then spray painted on the platform copers, 5 coats of grey, then ruled in slab edges. The 5 coats caused a pleasing lip, with rest of platform which has allowed a line of weeds to go in.

Underway (and visible in one shot), is a brass kit of a upper quadrant SR semaphore.

Concomitant with the signal work, I've started on building the main station building - using 30 mil plastic card, it is based on Lapford - I've added coarse wet and dry paper to the structure and painted with rose (cream) emulsion - since the photo to give the affect of a sandtex finish. Plus the other element of the structure has been added - what assume was the stationmasters home, with gabled frontage.

Fence completed and weeds, bushes going in - I threaded the fence.

I've finished my GJH Plant kit of a VGA wagon, that's in one of the shots - just need add lettering and weather.

Mopar asked about the points, I don't get any problems, I tested the layout tonight and find Bachman, Heljan and slaters wheels on the freight wagons run through fine, cheers Paul

post-2828-0-09090800-1457995957.jpeg

post-2828-0-90786700-1457995981.jpeg

post-2828-0-44485600-1457995998.jpeg

• Like 8

Spent the past week working on the station building. I used alloy paper instead of wet and dry to give a rough finish to the walls. Then use household emulsion, two coats painted over the alloy paper, once affixed to plastic card body of the building.

More work on the building to come, notably drainpipes, individual roofing tiles, and fitment of poster boards. It's not a faithful copy of Lapford, but inspired by same. Once fittings finished on building - this week, I'll start on weathering same. Then it's onto constructing the road over bridge, by the station. Paulpost-2828-0-74374200-1458503754.jpegpost-2828-0-23689300-1458503741_thumb.jpeg

EDIT - Building not in final position relative to platform edge - it will sit further back.

Edited by Devonbelle
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

EDIT - Building not in final position relative to platform edge - it will sit further back.

Good job too, platform's a bit narrow otherwise, the turbulence from the speeding 31 has knocked 2 passengers over ! :O :P

The use of the words 'speeding' and 'class 31' in the same sentence shows that this is meant in a playfully ironic tone! :) The buildings are looking rather good

Just been working on the station building the last 2 days - guttering and down pipes fitted to station.

Guttering was U section of a broken umbrella - and down pipes were coated heavy garden wire. The down pipes were anchored to the building - I got the latter from Wilkinsons @90p - can we all sorts of uses - air brake pipes for wagons. Usual disclaimer about Wilkos - I'm just a happy customer!

So shot of building below - slates and wider weathering next up. In second shot and final corner of layout is the beginnings of the loading dock, with a warehouse (6 quid bargain - it's from a Bachmann Underground Ernie set but nicely does for North Devon Farmers warehouse - and after station finished its next up for work - along with the loading platform.

post-2828-0-35207500-1459009124.png

post-2828-0-20145400-1459009140.jpeg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Hello - a busy few weeks on the layout - and a few photos of my work.

Biggest single change is the fitment of the sky back scene - I spray painted with car paints - at times using blue and white spraying at the same time. The over bridge is in place but needs more work.

Paul

post-2828-0-33704300-1460927162.jpeg

post-2828-0-78922700-1460927177.jpeg

post-2828-0-62039900-1460927194.jpeg

post-2828-0-43513300-1460927207.jpeg

• Like 7

Spot on GriffGriff - There's a collection of 1/43 scale James Bond vehicles available and the Sherpa van just had to be purchased - so I need a Jaws figure! The Sherpa van model is replete with figures of Roger Moore and Barbara Bach.

• Like 1

Morning - so some early morning effort on the road over bridge and the small freight yard is coming together - with a need to load the layout today ready for Taunton gathering tomorrow. The stone over bridge caused lots of grief - it's modelling clay I scribed and was mounted on very heavy cardboard - clearly I should have used marine ply - so that's a lesson learnt - because predictably the card bent when damp clay applied. Clearly there's much more to do - but I've had a show invite already which is flattering.

Will be a pleasure meeting people tomorrow at the RM Web event. Cheers Paul

post-2828-0-81288900-1461392241.jpeg

post-2828-0-15681100-1461392256.jpeg

post-2828-0-03192500-1461392268.jpeg

• Like 9

Good to see LG today Paul.

Definitely captures the feel of the real Lapford!

Perhaps you can bring to Barnstaple next year ......

Thank you for the comments the last few days and of course today. And for Mudmagnet yes I would be interested in attending Barnstaple next year. I attach some snaps of Lapford Gate today - its first appearance. I have learnt much and it's next appearance will see the fiddle yards each end of the scenic section.

Some visitors today to the Taunton gathering asked about passenger ops, they were limited as the 2 car Met Cam was misbehaving - derailments occurring, so I need repair a defective wheel set. As to next jobs, I've got to get Southern Region semaphores in, string the wires on the telegraph poles and erect the Southern pre cast concrete lamp posts.

All the best Paul

post-2828-0-93733400-1461532452_thumb.jpeg

post-2828-0-78610000-1461532474_thumb.jpeg

post-2828-0-94746900-1461532488_thumb.jpeg

post-2828-0-65989000-1461532541_thumb.jpeg

• Like 15

Hi Paul,

it was good to meet up at Taunton have a chat and to see Lapford Gate, ............. tis a proper job!

And thanks to your help I was quickly able to find my copy of the Avon Valley yearbook with your  Industrial Railway article,

cheers

Hi Paul.

It was nice to meet up with you at Taunton and to chat and view your nice layout. Just wondering - did you get the class 47's gears sorted? Mine has developed a click when travelling in one direction but is OK in the other. I have a set of gears from Howes but have not got around to fixing them yet.

Rod

• RMweb Gold

Just catching up, the images from Taunton look really good, impressive how you've managed to condense the 'feel' of Lapford into such a small space. I'm disappointed to have not been able to get there, maybe if you do get to the Barnstaple show... :)

Hmm Paul - not sure about an SB - I could cut into the embankment - as per Lapford - you have got me thinking now!

Thank you again about the comments - really appreciated - and I look forward to meeting other RM Members in due course - Rich we will meet sooner or later!

Railway Rod asked about the class 47 - that's a job for next weekend. In the meantime I'm on with building a Slaters vanwide - they used to carry fertiliser to Torrington - pic below. Also in pic is a new purchase of Saturday - a Dapol milk tank wagon - on the latter I didn't realise there was a massive thread on this forum as to the wagon accuracy - shame wagon not correct - the RM Web thread on the accuracy looked worse than the Watergate scandal - Unigate scandal maybe :O) Anyway I shall weather the milk tank to death - recalling when I used to see them as a lad in the 1970s - I still remember Western Druid on a warm summers night at Bristol TM - on a bogie van and a long rake of empty mill tanks - tanks were blackened with rancid milk - I remember the sight and smell now.

The milk tank incidentally I purchased from East Somerset models at Cranmore where I visited with Mrs Devonbelle on May BH Saturday needing a steam fix. I was impressed with range of o gauge stock - plus 00 and N - usual disclaimer I'm just a very happy customer and will be back.

post-2828-0-94348300-1462213445_thumb.jpeg

post-2828-0-50254200-1462213457_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Devonbelle - Yes i was not sure also about the accuracy but having got three I am more than happy with them and they do seem to pass muster with my slaters version. see my Black Notley thread for some shots. Like you I am going to have to apply some really heavy weathering. Mine are supposed to represent the North Elmham milk tanks!  They were as dirty as your western ones!

Paul R

• Like 2