Weinert Wheels for Roco BR 44

Wyvern

I am currently looking at a set of Weinert replacement wheels for my BR44.   The model is roco 43260 like the one below.   This is the previous model from roco which is tender drive only.   Can any body let me know if set 5603 is suitable or is this for the new model?   And if not do they produce a different set for the older model.   

Thanks

Guy

Roco_43260_DB_44_1085_Oel_Ep.3_digital_i

Unfortunately, quite a bit changed as I think it was a complete redesign. Gearing was added to the locomotive driving wheels as well as additional bearings on the axles.

I hadn't considered buying them from a uk distributor and I was looking at buying them from a German retailer to get the benefit of the slightly stronger pound. Could you give me a link to 3.5 in Banbury, I haven't heard of them before.

Incidentally do you know if anyone has had success in fitting new fine scale tyres to the existing wheels?

[quote name="Horsetan" post="2182177"

Are you buying the wheelsets via Three Point Five in Banbury, or from another source?

Very interested in knowing about these myself HT never heard of them ?

When I lived there ( albeit 27 years ago ) the nearest to wheels for locos was Keyser !

Mention of Three Point Five takes me back a good few years. At least 20 since I used them.

Just had a look for an old catalogue but unfortunately cannot find it.

Just one point.

Is it worth fitting Weinert wheels to such an old model?

Haulage and running of the modern versions is so much better that I would be inclined to flog the old one and buy a newer model.

Bernard

My database says Three Point Five (the trading name of Malcolm Horne) is based at:

1 Warkworth Road, Middleton Cheney, Banbury, Oxon OX17 2PR.

Tel/Fax 01295 710711

If Mr. Horne has in fact retired, he kept it quiet!

..... do you know if anyone has had success in fitting new fine scale tyres to the existing wheels?

This was something I was looking at. Brian Harrap helped me to turn down the flanges of a Roco SBB C5/6 to P87, but we couldn't do anything about tyre width in the time available.

I still don't know if Roco wheel centres are pressed into the tyres from front, rear, or moulded in situ. If the latter, then the job would be very ticklish....

Weinert wheels are not available for P87 or HO-pur, but I think they all originate from a common source: Teichmann wheel castings.

It seems we have had similar thoughts on fine scaling European wheelsets. Having looked at the chassis again, the wheels look to have been molded into the wheelrims. However I don't believe they have any kind of retaining rim (like ultrascale).

I have thought about fitting Gibson p4 rims which could be reduced slightly to proto 87 standards. A better option might be turning tyres to precisely match the plastic centres. The main problem is keeping everything concentric and true which really requires the wheel centres to be turned on a mandrel.

Oh the joys of model engineering.

It seems we have had similar thoughts on fine scaling European wheelsets. Having looked at the chassis again, the wheels look to have been molded into the wheelrims. However I don't believe they have any kind of retaining rim (like ultrascale).

I have thought about fitting Gibson p4 rims which could be reduced slightly to proto 87 standards. A better option might be turning tyres to precisely match the plastic centres. The main problem is keeping everything concentric and true which really requires the wheel centres to be turned on a mandrel.

Oh the joys of model engineering.

I am waiting for Herr Teichmann to find a new casting supplier, and then I shall buy some wheel casting blanks for the Br.41 from him.

I have established that it is weinert code 5603 that I want. However, weinert rp25 wheels are actually code 110 which are the same width as the existing wheelsets so there is little improvement from a fine scale perspective (although the quality looks superb). With that in mind I will have a go at modifying the original wheelsets to proto standards. Whether with modification it will stay on the track is another matter!

I have established that it is weinert code 5603 that I want. However, weinert rp25 wheels are actually code 110 which are the same width as the existing wheelsets so there is little improvement from a fine scale perspective (although the quality looks superb). With that in mind I will have a go at modifying the original wheelsets to proto standards. Whether with modification it will stay on the track is another matter!

It would be interesting to see how Roco mount the plastic centres into their tyres, certainly. I did have a try at pressing the centre out of a Br.41 driving wheel, but that wasn't shifting for anyone, so I did wonder whether it has a central raised ridge that locks it inside the tyre ring.

I am currently debating between code 88 which is close to EMF profile ie 2.2mm wheelsets and going full proto 87.   I am not sure if I can get the uber rigid drive tender to work with proto 87 flanges so may have to go code 88.  I intend to cut through the wheelrims  carefully with a piercing saw at the point of the wheel balance weights and hopefully the rims should come off.   If there is a lip, I will need to cut them in two places or prise the rim open.  

My plan of action is as follows;

1. remove wheels from splined axles
  2. mount wheels on lathe and bore wheel for 2mm axle if not already ok (I might leave this as the axles are already 2mm just splined
  3. remove wheel rims
  4. mount on mandrel with 2mm axle and turn to suit new gibson rims - either p4 (close to proto 87) or em profile (close to code 88)
  5. fit gibson tyes with loctite 603
  6. fit wheels to new axles with loctite 603 on quartering jig. 
  7. Sit back and admire my work.

If there is an issue with the wheels disintegrating - who is best to approach for spares?   I will need to practise on some 

All the best

Guy

Archived