For rainstrips I use 0.45mm handrail wire. Secure the centre of the wire to the highest point of the curve with superglue, and when it is set, secure at the end of the roof at the lowest point of the curve, you will then have a perfect curve in the wire. Superglue can then be run onto the wire to secure it along its length....

Do they even need lights? Do you have tunnels? does this set need to work after dark?

Also are they going to be partitioned upto roof height, or just to waist height? If the latter you can cut down the numbers of lamps required (to one shared between two compartments), which might make it more economic to have oil lamps..

Andy G

Thanks that is really helpful. As detailed previously in my own thread I no longer put lights in my coaches, the inside is open plan because only the end doors are in use.

• Like 1

For rainstrips I use 0.45mm handrail wire. Secure the centre of the wire to the highest point of the curve with superglue, and when it is set, secure at the end of the roof at the lowest point of the curve, you will then have a perfect curve in the wire. Superglue can then be run onto the wire to secure it along its length....

Do they even need lights? Do you have tunnels? does this set need to work after dark?

Also are they going to be partitioned upto roof height, or just to waist height? If the latter you can cut down the numbers of lamps required (to one shared between two compartments), which might make it more economic to have oil lamps..

Andy G

Great tip on the rain strip.  Much appreciated.

Good points about the lights and half-height partitions.  Perhaps features not often modelled, but once common.

For these as fairly modern coaches, I think there would be lights, probably gas, and with full-height partitions and a light per compartment.

If skills improve to allow me to tackle some more archaic stock, I think that top-hat oil lamp holders and low partitions will be a must.

• Like 1

Looking good, again.

Those ratio GW four-wheelers: what date were the prototypes?

I ask, because I've always thought that they look a bit modern to have been sold on to light railways, until perhaps the twenties or thirties.

K

Edited by Nearholmer

Looking good, again.

Those ratio GW four-wheelers: what date were the prototypes?

I ask, because I've always thought that they look a bit modern to have been sold onto light railways until perhaps the twenties or thirties.

K

1904, if memory serves.

And I agree.  Light Railways were still using things like the 1860s GE 4-wheel stock, and NLR stock of probably similar vintage.

These Triang conversions are relatively modern coaches, for all they are 4 and 6 wheelers.  The GE mainline 6-wheelers I hope to have one day will have build dates in the 1890s.

The semi-elliptical roof also adds to the modernity of the Ratio prototypes.

• RMweb Premium

These carriages have been on RMWeb somewhere before but I can't now find them. They were very easy to build - flat sides, arc roofs, square cornered windows. They were the first Rhymney Railway carriages. Note the brake gear on only one. I am sure you could manage something rather similar but updated to near the end of the century when they would have been pretty decrepid. I built them for fun as they are absolutely no use on either Sarn (1930s) or Nantcwmdu (1912).

post-13650-0-58766000-1484520432_thumb.jpg

Jonathan 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The oil lit coaches often had a wooden bung to block the holes when the lamp were removed so if you are only running in daylight could you not just fit the bungs Simple round bits would show.

Nice work when time permits you do have a knack of coming up with the goods.

Don

These carriages have been on RMWeb somewhere before but I can't now find them. They were very easy to build - flat sides, arc roofs, square cornered windows. They were the first Rhymney Railway carriages. Note the brake gear on only one. I am sure you could manage something rather similar but updated to near the end of the century when they would have been pretty decrepid. I built them for fun as they are absolutely no use on either Sarn (1930s) or Nantcwmdu (1912).

attachicon.gifrr coaches.JPG

Jonathan 

Now they look (superb, by the way) like the sort of stock the WN might have started with.  I suspect that I should build one or two, but as grounded bodies, though one with the lights boarded over might still run as Departmental Stock, after all the WN wasn't known as the 'Waste Not Railway' for nothing!

Some late 1860s GE hand-me-downs are the oldest stock I was planning to run in revenue earning service, perhaps on the WN's 'Withered Arm' to Wolfringham?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

How about something archaic and Scottish? The Highland flogged some of its knackered coaches to a line on Tyneside, maybe Norfolk could have benifitted too. I've got the drawings somewhere, and they have flat sides.....

Andy G

• Like 2

The oil lit coaches often had a wooden bung to block the holes when the lamp were removed so if you are only running in daylight could you not just fit the bungs Simple round bits would show.

the bungs were attached by chains to a ring alongside the lamp hole.  when the lamps were in place the bungs were in the rings.  If you model the coaches with the lamps removed and replaced by the bungs, you still have model the empty ring.  whether you bother to model the chain is your choice!  :jester:

Jim 

• Like 1

How about something archaic and Scottish? The Highland flogged some of its knackered coaches to a line on Tyneside, maybe Norfolk could have benifitted too. I've got the drawings somewhere, and they have flat sides.....

Andy G

I would be happy to learn something of these Highland disposals.  According to Kidner, the South Shields Marsden & Whitburn Colliery Railway an ex-NBR coach and 2 ex-GNoSR coaches.

A better bet might be the North Sunderland, which apparently did have Highland stock and of which Kidner says:

No details of the class arrangements in the first (ex-HR) stock have been found; they were all 5-compt. Thirds originally, though one was altered to 3rd. Bk. before delivery.

The North Sunderland commenced operating in 1898, so,the HR coaches were presumably acquired around that time.  Later it used ex-GER stock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll have a look tomorrow, as the book its in (Hunters history of Highland carriages and wagons) is at home. I should be able to give you the diagram numbers which can be crossed referenced to Tatlows drawings, which will then give you the coach in question.

I would think they would be like these ones: http://digitool2.abdn.ac.uk/view/action/singleViewer.do?dvs=1484591320810~614&locale=en_GB&VIEWER_URL=/view/action/singleViewer.do?&DELIVERY_RULE_ID=10&search_terms=railway&adjacency=N&application=DIGITOOL-3&frameId=1&usePid1=true&usePid2=true

Andy G

I just get a timeout message when I try this link.  i am familiar with the type of coach you mean, however.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Arrrgh.

The picture is at Invershin taken by George Washington Wilson. In the search box on this page https://www.abdn.ac.uk/historic/gww/ put Invershin in and then its the first of the two photos. Click on it and it gives you the record page for it, and then if you click on the photo again it gives you a large image.

Andy G

• Like 3

The picture is at Invershin taken by George Washington Wilson. In the search box on this page https://www.abdn.ac.uk/historic/gww/ put Invershin in and then its the first of the two photos. Click on it and it gives you the record page for it, and then if you click on the photo again it gives you a large image.

Ahaa, yes!  A cropped version of that photo is on p51 of George Washington Wilson and the Scottish Railways.   My copy was published in 1983, but there is a 1985 edition here https://www.amazon.co.uk/George-Washington-Wilson-Scottish-Railways/dp/1874078076

Jim

When the Freshwater Yarmouth & Newport Railway, fell out with the IWCR and bought in their own stock, they purchased seven Manchester, South Junction & Altrincham carriages. Built about 1880 and of Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire origin. The Southern Railway at grouping found them to be the best stock on the Isle of Wight at the time. They were all at the time; four compartment, four wheel composites. Interestingly enough, in this month's BRM, one of the featured layouts is Freshwater - originally by Fred Shilton and refurbished by Stafford railway circle.

I have long had a mild interest in this railway as a source of fodder for potential micro layouts. 

I just thought this may be an alternative source of original designs.

As a bye the bye, The FYN also had an unusual petrol railcar, built by the Drewry Car Company. Definitely Not a Ford.

http://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/images/mslt.jpg

Edited by Bill_J

The IoW is a good fishing ground for minor railway ideas, and a seriously good overview can be had from a pair of books called "Sputhern Rails on the IoW", which, despite the title, cover much more than the SR period. They are interesting not only from a content point of view, but because they have a very modern genesis, having started as a website, and having been revised as readers have contributed new material ..... a sort of railway Wikipedia transferred to paper. My copies came from the shop at the IoWSR, and they might only be available locally or by post. Waterstones, rather curiously, dont seem to know whether they stock them or not! https://www.waterstones.com/book/southern-rails-on-the-isle-of-wight-v-1/ian-s-drummond/9780956331755

Another new IoW book came out recently, "A new history", and a pal has leant me his copy. Quite thin gruel compared with the rich and meaty stew in the ones mentioned above.

Kevin

post-26817-0-69679700-1484607019_thumb.png

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Early on on the IOW an engine was shipped across to St Helens Harbour but they dropped it into the harbour during unloading. One of the Garden railway group unintentionally mirrored this when he newly built live steam loco plunged into his swimming pool. Naturally it was christened Titanic after that. While living there we had the pleasure of walking as many old railways as we could.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Knowing your penchant for unusual period rolling stock, I thought that you might find this album interesting. http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album/620941

It is on the french ipernity photo sharing site, to which I have been contributing. It is currently struggling to keep going, so an early visit may be adviseable. The organisation/company, the contributor works for, has a  number of other rolling stock restoration projects completed or on-going, so you may find other images of interest.

If you need to contact her for any reason, let me know and I can message her through the site.

• Like 2

I'll have a look tomorrow, as the book its in (Hunters history of Highland carriages and wagons) is at home. I should be able to give you the diagram numbers which can be crossed referenced to Tatlows drawings, which will then give you the coach in question.

I would think they would be like these ones: http://digitool2.abdn.ac.uk/view/action/singleViewer.do?dvs=1484591320810~614&locale=en_GB&VIEWER_URL=/view/action/singleViewer.do?&DELIVERY_RULE_ID=10&search_terms=railway&adjacency=N&application=DIGITOOL-3&frameId=1&usePid1=true&usePid2=true

Andy G

What a wonderful picture!

When the Freshwater Yarmouth & Newport Railway, fell out with the IWCR and bought in their own stock, they purchased seven Manchester, South Junction & Altrincham carriages. Built about 1880 and of Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire origin. The Southern Railway at grouping found them to be the best stock on the Isle of Wight at the time. They were all at the time; four compartment, four wheel composites. Interestingly enough, in this month's BRM, one of the featured layouts is Freshwater - originally by Fred Shilton and refurbished by Stafford railway circle.

I have long had a mild interest in this railway as a source of fodder for potential micro layouts. 

I just thought this may be an alternative source of original designs.

As a bye the bye, The FYN also had an unusual petrol railcar, built by the Drewry Car Company. Definitely Not a Ford.

http://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/images/mslt.jpg

The IoW is a good fishing ground for minor railway ideas, and a seriously good overview can be had from a pair of books called "Sputhern Rails on the IoW", which, despite the title, cover much more than the SR period. They are interesting not only from a content point of view, but because they have a very modern genesis, having started as a website, and having been revised as readers have contributed new material ..... a sort of railway Wikipedia transferred to paper. My copies came from the shop at the IoWSR, and they might only be available locally or by post. Waterstones, rather curiously, dont seem to know whether they stock them or not! https://www.waterstones.com/book/southern-rails-on-the-isle-of-wight-v-1/ian-s-drummond/9780956331755

Another new IoW book came out recently, "A new history", and a pal has leant me his copy. Quite thin gruel compared with the rich and meaty stew in the ones mentioned above.

Kevin

The various railways of the Isle of Wight have been a great inspiration to me.  My obsession with termini with turntables closing the loop (even if the IOW ones didn't go all the way around) ultimately stems from the Island, via other locations like Rothbury and Alston in the North Country. 

The little 2-4-0Ts and the 1860s Oldbury 4-wheelers are very much what I had envisaged for the Isle of Eldernell and Mereport Railway.  

Very interested to learn about the ex-Manchester, South Junction & Altrincham carriages and that wonderful Drewry railcar!

Sounds like another good read, Kevin.

Knowing your penchant for unusual period rolling stock, I thought that you might find this album interesting. http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album/620941

It is on the french ipernity photo sharing site, to which I have been contributing. It is currently struggling to keep going, so an early visit may be adviseable. The organisation/company, the contributor works for, has a  number of other rolling stock restoration projects completed or on-going, so you may find other images of interest.

If you need to contact her for any reason, let me know and I can message her through the site.

What a wonderful prototype, and a wonderful coach.  Thank you for introducing me to it.

• Like 3

Phil

Those Peterhead vehicles are very unusual ...... I studied wagon framing design to a mad degree when I was building 15mm/ft ones, and those vehicles have all sorts of features that suggest that they probably weren't built by a mainstream railway wagon builder, although whoever built them clearly did build wagons of some sort regularly. I wonder if they were from a firm that normally built road wagons.

Anyway, they are a scratchbuilders delight, even if the the customers probably had mixed feelings about them.

There were some eighteen inch gauge convict coaches on one of the military railways at Chatham iirc .... hugely long and thin bogie vehicles.

K

• RMweb Gold

I know this thread has wandered into Victorian and Edwardian costume. I have just skimmed through this archive looking for something else - but what an array of 'Sunday bests' donned for the works outings! https://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/albums/72157620893472468/page3

Sometimes local museum and historical society archives throw up very interesting railway items and we don't always think to look outside strictly railway sources.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I know this thread has wandered into Victorian and Edwardian costume. I have just skimmed through this archive looking for something else - but what an array of 'Sunday bests' donned for the works outings! https://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/albums/72157620893472468/page3

Sometimes local museum and historical society archives throw up very interesting railway items and we don't always think to look outside strictly railway sources.

And there's even one in there with an incorrect date - out by at least 14 years (and what's more it's easily dateable so quite how they got it wrong I don't know).

• RMweb Gold

And there's even one in there with an incorrect date - out by at least 14 years (and what's more it's easily dateable so quite how they got it wrong I don't know).

I didn't spot it myself (hangs head in shame)

Don

• RMweb Gold

I have several books with Dad's annotations in them correcting errors. I myself have spotted a photo in the Middleton book on the Burnham to Evercreech line which is supposed to have been of Highbridge Wharf, but clearly isn't. But equally I have been ticked off for the odd silly slip.