• RMweb Premium

Re: attending music lessons in the hope of impressing, and becoming much, much better acquainted with, cello-girls.

This was the only lesson at school that I was ordered, very firmly, to step out of. It didn't quite extend to 'and go straight to the headmaster's office', but it was pretty close.

Reason? I lost focus (which was, indeed, supposed to be a particular girl cellist), and started a fierce debate with Mr W about how 'high art', classical music in particular, was primarily a means by which elites, and would-be elites, 'stake out' cultural territory in order to bolster their status, so he oughtnt really to teach it.

It was a few years, long after I'd left school, before it dawned on me that Mr W's whole mission in life was to bring classical music to mouthy little oiks like me, at least in part so that it couldn't be used for the purpose that I'd accused him of promoting.

And, I never did get a date with AT.

Interesting you can still recall her name.....

It was the school choir with me, and a soprano with the sweetest voice ever in the class below, and me with the crappiest atonal voice ever. It must have sounded dreadful, but I was never slung out, mainly I suppose because of trying to improve the culture of a useless oik. We do owe a real debt of gratitude to those long suffering music teachers.

I never got a date either.

having attended a all Boys school I did the sensible thing and transferred to the Girls Grammar for A levels 

Nick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh I can still recall the name of the unrequited love interests at all three of my schools (Ok I can't remember Laura's surname, but I can still picture the beauty spot....).

I lost touch with Laura early on, she didn't go to the same middle school as me, most went to uni, but I still see one quite regularly. Two went to great lengths to get away from me, London for one, and Sidney Australia for another... 

Andy G

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If it not several pages too late, someone several thousand posts ago wrote off bullhead rail as something from the Ark (did they have a railway there?). I will have you know that the platform roads at Newtown are still to this day in bullhead, though the running lines in each direction are FB. To be really pre-Grouping one needs to thinking in terms of one of the really obsolete forms of trackwork such as double headed rail, or the Barlow rail that Brunel tried using to save money (not that baulk road stuff) but found to be an expensive mistake (another one).

Jonathan

flat bottom rail is actually older than bullhead, as bullhead was a development of double sided rail.

The MSWJR( or its constituents) was built between 1873 and 1884 using Krupp flat bottomed rail.

• Like 1

post-33498-0-50522900-1516128635_thumb.png

I think, in a vain attempt to get back to railways, I'll leave my LSWR Family Saloon (Since purchased by a strange Norfolk Backwater... can't think which one!) here...

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 6

Goodness me, what a lot has happened here.

It has been one of those days at work, and I have had to deal with a landlord threatening to evict us for, allegedly, allowing our dogs to run amok up and down a main road, sabotage a shoot, and draw down the local constabulary.

Needless to say our dogs were snoozing on our bed the whole time, ignorant, as were we, that they were being fitted up for a crime they did not commit. 

Unless our yellow dog blacked up for the job, I think we can show that the Fuzz is barking up the wrong tree.  

So, apologies for the neglect of parish affairs.

I couldn't help noticing this post, pretty immediately:

attachicon.gifLSWR & WNR.png

I think, in a vain attempt to get back to railways, I'll leave my LSWR Family Saloon (Since purchased by a strange Norfolk Backwater... can't think which one!) here...

My first thought was, "I chose a bloody good livery there, didn't I?"

I am very impressed with this brilliant rendition of WNR livery. I hadn't realised that the WNR had any bogie coaches, but it clearly should now!  In fact, it seems to me that such a vehicle, a bogie first family saloon, might be dual-fitted and range throughout the country, conveying the Erstwhiles and any other prominent west Norfolk families to the four corners of the pre-Grouping Kingdom. 

• Like 3

It has been one of those days at work, and I have had to deal with a landlord threatening to evict us for, allegedly, allowing our dogs to run amok up and down a main road, sabotage a shoot, and draw down the local constabulary.

Needless to say our dogs were snoozing on our bed the whole time, ignorant, as were we, that they were being fitted up for a crime they did not commit. 

Unless our yellow dog blacked up for the job, I think we can show that the Fuzz is barking up the wrong tree.  

I am very impressed with this brilliant rendition of WNR livery. I hadn't realised that the WNR had any bogie coaches, but it clearly should now!  In fact, it seems to me that such a vehicle, a bogie first family saloon, might be dual-fitted and range throughout the country, conveying the Erstwhiles and any other prominent west Norfolk families to the four corners of the pre-Grouping Kingdom. 

No doubt it would serve to take the Erstwhiles and their friends up to Scotland just before the 12th August!

Speaking of shoots, what immediately comes to mind is why would the landlord regret the presence of the local fuzz?  Might it be alleged that his beaters do not have the correct documentation?

I did start learning the cello but found lacking perfect pitch I could tell how bad it was when practising. Now if the school hadn't been all boys I might have had some cello girls to encourage practise. Still find the cello a most enticing instrument. 

Don

I am sorry, but this undoubtedly calls for the Sir Thomas Beecham quote. 

Beecham had been unimpressed with the playing of a solo by a female 'cellist at rehearsal, so the story goes, so admonished her with the words:

"Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!"

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

No doubt it would serve to take the Erstwhiles and their friends up to Scotland just before the 12th August!

They will also need at least one luggage van, a carriage truck and perhaps more than one horsebox.  The servants will also require accommodation, probably in a second hand third class carriage (though that will have to be in a suitably fit state to be accepted for running at express train speeds by the companies over whose metals they will be travelling).

Jim

Hi, Jim, that a double picnic saloon carrriage, The clients would be very less than pleased at the accommodation for a long trip - no sleeping facilities.

Here is a link to the LSWR bogie Family/Invalid saloon that used to be on the Longmoor Railway

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/keyword/rolling%20stock/i-Dhw5hmr

I have a set of sides/ends for one from the much missed 'Trevor Charlton' to build. and a Roxey Moulding carriage for the rest. The CCT's are built, and a horsebox at least!

Roxey have a 6 wheel version, the ex LSWR Models kit, in 4mm,   here is a link to the 7mm version built by Raymond Whalley.

http://www.raymondwalley.com/pictures/carriages/other/lswr-saloon/body-5a.jpg

Just the thing for a visit to the races!

Peter

Edited by PeterR

Hi, Jim, that a double picnic saloon carrriage, The clients would be very less than pleased at the accommodation for a long trip - no sleeping facilities.

It was Hroth who suggested the Erstwhiles making use of it for a journey to the Highland Grouse moors!  In that case they would also need a sleeping carriage, which they could possibly hire from the ECJS.  Alternatively they could hire a Diagram 28 sleeping composite from the WCJS, which would give them both seated and sleeping accommodation in the one vehicle.

post-25077-0-61784100-1516137745_thumb.jpg

That's not a Photoshop job, or a cut-and-shut one.  That's how they were built, as you can see from the caption!

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh I can still recall the name of the unrequited love interests at all three of my schools (Ok I can't remember Laura's surname, but I can still picture the beauty spot....).

I lost touch with Laura early on, she didn't go to the same middle school as me, most went to uni, but I still see one quite regularly. Two went to great lengths to get away from me, London for one, and Sidney Australia for another... 

Andy G

For the avoidance of doubt, that wasn't me.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Re: attending music lessons in the hope of impressing, and becoming much, much better acquainted with, cello-girls.

This was the only lesson at school that I was ordered, very firmly, to step out of. It didn't quite extend to 'and go straight to the headmaster's office', but it was pretty close.

Reason? I lost focus (which was, indeed, supposed to be a particular girl cellist), and started a fierce debate with Mr W about how 'high art', classical music in particular, was primarily a means by which elites, and would-be elites, 'stake out' cultural territory in order to bolster their status, so he oughtnt really to teach it.

It was a few years, long after I'd left school, before it dawned on me that Mr W's whole mission in life was to bring classical music to mouthy little oiks like me, at least in part so that it couldn't be used for the purpose that I'd accused him of promoting.

And, I never did get a date with AT.

Ah, cello girls...

A schoolmate's sister was one such and we got on quite well until post-school life took us our separate ways, as it does. She actually became a professional cellist whereas I ended up as a railway engineer. Such is life.

• Like 3

St Enedoc: Ah, but you can't be absolutely certain of that can you? It might have been unrequited, because it was unexpressed, or expressed in a way that you were completely oblivious to.

And, Edwardian: you're not in The Archers are you? I accidentally heard a snippet the other day, and I'm sure that loose dogs were disrupting a shoot.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

St Enedoc: Ah, but you can't be absolutely certain of that can you? It might have been unrequited, because it was unexpressed, or expressed in a way that you were completely oblivious to.

You might think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

It was Hroth who suggested the Erstwhiles making use of it for a journey to the Highland Grouse moors!  In that case they would also need a sleeping carriage, which they could possibly hire from the ECJS.  Alternatively they could hire a Diagram 28 sleeping composite from the WCJS, which would give them both seated and sleeping accommodation in the one vehicle.

attachicon.gifWCJS Sleeping Composite.jpg

That's not a Photoshop job, or a cut-and-shut one.  That's how they were built, as you can see from the caption!

Jim

An April Fools in the Wolverton drawing office goes badly wrong ...

Edwardian: you're not in The Archers are you? I accidentally heard a snippet the other day, and I'm sure that loose dogs were disrupting a shoot.

Alas, Life imitates Art!

Sorry for the shock, aggro and stress arising from a case of mis-identification on the A66 - never my favourite road.

Were you in 1905 to elect to hire an LNWR  WCJS vehicle as the most suitable for your journey from the other side of the country up to somewhere on the

Highland Railway north of Inverness, could it actually be possible?

Might your agent have to negotiate a very roundabout journey via Peterborough and Northampton to Carlisle and thence to Perth?

dh

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifWCJS Sleeping Composite.jpg

Jim

They came in either clerestory or elliptical-roofed versions but disappointingly not both at once. The elliptical-roofed versions were, however, opposite-handed compared to the clerestory-roofed examples.

Sir,

I am seriously sorry about your current situation, and hope that the dogs continue in their act of defiance ( :jester: ) by continuing to, well, be dogs!

I am very pleased that you like the family saloon (I'll even do the other side if you like, and do a few so you can layer them up!) and I will agree that you chose a fantastic livery.

In fact, it is almost identical to my fictional pre-grouping 'Wimbledon & Sutton' Railway concept, based around a line proposed by an independent company back in pre-grouping days, but not built until the 1930's. I imagine it as a railway that somehow managed to maintain its independence, even to the extent of having a terminus at Gloucester Road, not far from the District Railway station. It is imagined, by myself, that the line retained independence on account of it sharing many directors with the District Railway, who used it as a way of reaching out into the Southern suburbs. Rolling stock, in my imagined 1900 - 1914 period would be a combination of District-owned steam stock (Cascaded following electrification.), Sharp Stewart products (4-4-0 based on FR/Cambrian K2) and second hand ex-LBSCR and Ex-LSWR stock. The livery would be the same green as the coaches, lined out in gold, with either the company's intials (LW&SR, LWSR, WSR, LWS, WS) or the whole name spelt out across the tender. The coach livery (Invented before I discovered CA!) would be the same as that above, but with a darker green replacing the black, and different crests of course. Hence the choice of an LSWR saloon!

If you have any requests for WNR coaches, especially if you can find drawings to closely match what you want, then I'll see what I can do!

All the best,

E. Missenden, Esq (SEC, SRY, BRS, REC, OVS, BUL, LEI, DPA, CIF, IC.)

• Like 2

Sorry for the shock, aggro and stress arising from a case of mis-identification on the A66 - never my favourite road.

Were you in 1905 to elect to hire an LNWR  WCJS vehicle as the most suitable for your journey from the other side of the country up to somewhere on the

Highland Railway north of Inverness, could it actually be possible?

Might your agent have to negotiate a very roundabout journey via Peterborough and Northampton to Carlisle and thence to Perth?

dh

Based on Caley Jim's post, I wonder if the Erstwhiles might as well simple require a special train!