Oh, while on the subject of the marriage of old technology, such as Edwardian railways, and more modern stuff, I am of the opinion that half the pleasure of railways and modelling them comes from the rather odd mixtures of old technology like unbraked 4-wheel wagons and semaphore signalling, and such anachronisms as a Standard 9F 2-10-0s at speed in 1960..

I have yet to reconcile these things, but think bullhead rail is far nicer than flat-bottom, thus...

post-7929-0-46703800-1516049358_thumb.jpg

The purists will kill me.  A 1958 engine on bullhead rail?  I did one on flat-bottom but don't like the look.  Is that allowed?  

• Like 1

Good God man do colonials no longer drink Tea ?

Nick

The younger ones have spurned the civilising influence of tea, and in the interests of benign cohabitation I force myself to just once a day drink a single cafe noir, of the instant, cheap variety .  We do drink a lot of tea here, at least we aged over 45 or so, I have no idea what millenials do.  I doubt they even know what 'colonial' means. Something to do with the gut and appropriate sugar intake, they probably believe.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The younger ones have spurned the civilising influence of tea, and in the interests of benign cohabitation I force myself to just once a day drink a single cafe noir, of the instant, cheap variety .  We do drink a lot of tea here, at least we aged over 45 or so, I have no idea what millenials do.  I doubt they even know what 'colonial' means. Something to do with the gut and appropriate sugar intake, they probably believe.

so no Camp Coffee after Dinner  :protest:   

I suspect then that the Bishop of Norwich is unknown with the younger generation (as indeed it is in the UK)

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Oh, while on the subject of the marriage of old technology, such as Edwardian railways, and more modern stuff, I am of the opinion that half the pleasure of railways and modelling them comes from the rather odd mixtures of old technology like unbraked 4-wheel wagons and semaphore signalling, and such anachronisms as a Standard 9F 2-10-0s at speed in 1960..

I have yet to reconcile these things, but think bullhead rail is far nicer than flat-bottom, thus...

attachicon.gif92185_9F_portrait50_3a_r1200a.jpg

The purists will kill me.  A 1958 engine on bullhead rail?  I did one on flat-bottom but don't like the look.  Is that allowed?  

The railway of the grouping or nationalisation era - right through to the 70s at least - is in most places the pre-Grouping railway with a thin veneer of later equipment. Plenty of bullhead rail around in 1958 and well beyond! Every layout is a pre-Grouping layout - unless you're modelling HS1 or some such.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We only got rid of Bullhead on our 25Kv electrified line to London a couple of years back, and theres still plenty of places like Carlisle that still has bullhead...

Andy G

• Like 2

The Sunderland board seems good and flat.

Rail seems to be Code 75, rather than 80, but it might have been track-rubbered down a bit.

Gauge seems slightly variable, 16.4 - 16.8+ mm, which is the sort of thing that can happen with a gauge being used on a finer section of rail that it is designed for, but it is a bit difficult to get the calipers aligned square, so my numbers shouldn’t be taken too seriously.

The tie-bars are very distinctive, and I’d be surprised if someone can’t identify the manufacturer. I’ve got a dim recollection of seeing the design advertised as a ‘part’, maybe GEM, in RM millions of years ago.

post-26817-0-92526400-1516051253_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer

The railway of the grouping or nationalisation era - right through to the 70s at least - is in most places the pre-Grouping railway with a thin veneer of later equipment. Plenty of bullhead rail around in 1958 and well beyond! Every layout is a pre-Grouping layout - unless you're modelling HS1 or some such.

This veneer of modernity has afflicted railways in the view of some because of government interference with commercial investment and operation of railways since Lloyd George and even before that.  Was there not some attempt in the Commons to regulate railways in the 1840s and 1850s?

Still, they have done alright in my view regardless. We in NZ required goods to be carried by rail for distances over 40 miles, with a few exceptions, until 1971, thus our roads were blessedly free of trucks, and we could ride motorbikes, and go to the Isle of Man and do damn well there,  but then people began to drink coffee....

• Like 1

If you are using Windows, Alt+0232 gives you è and Alt+0233 gives you é.

Jim

I am using Win 10 on an Acer E-15 laptop     how do I press alt + 0233    is is all in sequence? with or without the letter 'e' already up?

e

doesn't seem to work    do I press 'alt' then '0' then '2' etc   or all at once?   I have great trouble with Microsoft.   I also only have one working hand.  but mostly Microsoft logic fails in every sense to have anything to do with actual logic.  'This is a message to tell you that that the 'failure' notice you received when uploading the latest security update may have been an error and the update may have loaded, or not.'  'Was this message helpful?  Or not?'   'Go to frequently asked questions for further information.' 

Edited by robmcg

Oi! Mister!

If tha' N class is reely 31408, then whysit go' 31404 on the cab si-shee'? I mean, they's both Guildford ingines, bu' shurely shome mishtake there ter get the numberplates muddled up? :jester:

I knew it was an error to come here....   (sigh)

I don't know where Win 10 hides it (The Win 10 notebook is downstairs and I'm using a proper Win 7 box upstairs), but there should be a Microsoft utility somewhere called the Character Map*, which displays all the available characters for all the typefaces on your computer.  Run it, and click on the character required, then click the select button followed by the copy button, then paste it where you want it to go.

é

Wolla!!!!

* In Win 7 its in the taskbar menu All Programs/Accessories/System Tools.

other typing errors are ones own responsibility...

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Gold

There's a lot of Derby in those Ashford moguls - perhaps the number should really begin with a 4?

Quite possibly the most incendiary remark ever made in the Pre-grouping forum.

I shall watch respectfully (i.e. from a safe distance) to see if there is a fireworks display!

• Like 2

Quite possibly the most incendiary remark ever made in the Pre-grouping forum.

I shall watch respectfully (i.e. from a safe distance) to see if there is a fireworks display!

Yes, but whats the blast radius likely to be?

I don't know where Win 10 hides it (The Win 10 notebook is downstairs and I'm using a proper Win 7 box upstairs), but there should be a Microsoft utility somewhere called the Character Map*, which displays all the available characters for all the typefaces on your computer.  Run it, and click on the character required, then click the select button followed by the copy button, then paste it where you want it to go.

é

Wolla!!!!

é

Wolla!!!!

é

it's in windows, accessories, character map, and takes forever. An alternative is to google the word 'cliche' and copy-paste from an entry there. (works on an Apple)

What's French for quelle damage?

• Like 1

There's a lot of Derby in those Ashford moguls - perhaps the number should really begin with a 4?

Presumably that is James Cl;ayton's hand (just as there's a lot of Swindon in post 1933 LMS Derby output)

I've only come aboard at the post of Dutch Master's image.

It reminds me of a picture that hung for years in my Grandfather's study by  Peter de Hooch

Despite being swamped by 'certain age' cheesecake, the posts on building trackwork are excellent.

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 1

I am using Win 10 on an Acer E-15 laptop     how do I press alt + 0233    is is all in sequence? with or without the letter 'e' already up?

Sorry,Rob.  I should have said that you have to hold down the 'Alt' key while you type the numbers.  When you release the 'Alt' key the character will come up on the screen.  Another way to do it is it add 'Character Map' (in windows accessories) to your taskbar.  You can then open this whenever you want a character not on your keyboard (°, ½, ¾ etc.) click on the character you want, click on the 'select' button, then the 'copy' one and then go back to where you were typing, right click and select 'paste'.  This might be easier for you.

HTH

Jim 

• Like 1

What's French for quelle damage?

Probably similar, but spelled funny with added slanty lines?  :jester:

As for slowness, thats probably a function of Win 10 doing something pointless in the background, hogging CPU cycles. CharMap popped up like a Jack In The Box when I just tried it....

I know this is a commonly held view, but Maunsell's embrace of good design left out the essential part of Derby design which was extremely thorough plans but inadequate, no, near-zero understanding of lubrication and fluid dynamics and surface tension and that sort of stuff. At least he did give crews a cab, and tenders which worked....  If Hughes had become CME rather than Fowler....

I am using Win 10 on an Acer E-15 laptop how do I press alt + 0233 is is all in sequence? with or without the letter 'e' already up?

e

doesn't seem to work do I press 'alt' then '0' then '2' etc or all at once? I have great trouble with Microsoft. I also only have one working hand. but mostly Microsoft logic fails in every sense to have anything to do with actual logic. 'This is a message to tell you that that the 'failure' notice you received when uploading the latest security update may have been an error and the update may have loaded, or not.' 'Was this message helpful? Or not?' 'Go to frequently asked questions for further information.'

You also need to have "num lock" enabled and use the number key pad, that's not the 0-9 across the top!! But may be the 0-9 in the middle of some laptop keyboards, or the bunch on the right for a full keyboard.

post-3744-0-56930400-1516054631.jpg

Edited by Shadow

Probably similar, but spelled funny with added slanty lines?  :jester:

As for slowness, thats probably a function of Win 10 doing something pointless in the background, hogging CPU cycles. CharMap popped up like a Jack In The Box when I just tried it....

I suppose I could make an icon for character map and add it too the taskbar, but my need for a foreign word is barely more than an annual event. Thanks though.

num lock on 

alt 0 2 3 3       nothing happens

We didn't get this in Philosophy 201 in uni....

I'm going to go and take photos, may all who travel with Microsoft meet again in heaven. There is no place for them on earth.

• RMweb Premium

I know this is a commonly held view, but Maunsell's embrace of good design left out the essential part of Derby design which was extremely thorough plans but inadequate, no, near-zero understanding of lubrication and fluid dynamics and surface tension and that sort of stuff. At least he did give crews a cab, and tenders which worked....  If Hughes had become CME rather than Fowler....

I thought that old Cox chestnut had been laid to rest by Adrian Tester. The issues with hot boxes were a consequence of changes, in LMS days and subsequent to the design of the Class 4 goods engines, to the whitemetal bearing liners together with poor choice of lubricants, problems that had been resolved by the late 40s and unrelated to the Derby design per se.

• RMweb Gold

Nice.

Be careful to avoid short circuits in the blue circled area.

The rail needs cutting back to the red line, and you need to add another insulation gap (marked by President Trump’s hair).

attachicon.gifA6446491-FD96-43C2-A4F5-0A4FF5A19F8E.jpeg

Looking at that, you need to make sure that the copper surfaces of the interlaced sleepers aren’t touching each other, too.

No wonder the prototype stopped using interlaced sleepers - too many short circuits!

One request... before you paint it, but after you test it, please fill the insulation gaps in the pcb!

I cannot see why you have marked the extra insulation gap since the two bits of rail are both soldered to other sleepers. I wouldn't cut the rail back to the red line instead just cutting back to the edge of that sleeper. You do not want the end of the closure rail soldered to the same sleeper as the wingrail or you will have a short. Admittedly there is not mauch gap between the sleepers a bit of judicious trimming might be in order. Using PCB interlaced sleepers requires more care than timber ones to avoid shorts. Incidentally my notes did not cover the FB and PCB sleepers Edwardian seems to be doing pretty well on his own.

Don 

Don

• Like 1