• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Must be frustrating when the answers just get further and further away. 

"Yesterday, the answer literally just at my fingertips, but since then, it seems to have just gone..."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

the geomorphology associated with retreating glaciers

Erratics.

Interesting chaps they are. We have a famous one locally, which sticks up about 30" from the road surface, right in the middle of the junction between two lanes and was, until recently, bl@@dy dangerous, because it was completely un-signposted and an open-invitation to a cycling accident. It now has prominent white road-markings all around it.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

My brain's gone dumb and I can't write words; - James did you end up with a lot of water through the lower floor of your house, - or just enough to make everything wet and be a complete nuisance?  I presume taking up the floor is give everything a chance to dry out properly.

• Like 1

My landlord would certainly not run to retro-fitting flagstones, but I may get something a little better than the crappy tiles that were there, and that are now beyond redemption. 

Just in nuisance (and soggy carpet) territory, so nothing major. 

Floor removed:

440261656_IMG_7388-Copy.JPG.29f4ef5ec440d9f0b4b15743a27194a3.JPG

Edited by Edwardian
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

On waking this morning the Brendon Hills were white topped and in odd spots around the garden little patches on snow remained. It did turn out to be a beautiful day bit the wind had a real bite so out of the sunshine it has been bl**dy cold. Currently trying to thaw out my fingers.

Don

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Now if we are showcasing wierd early singles bought on e-bay how about this. Looks like a small Crewe single, but it scales about right for a large Crewe single. there is something funny going on with the chassis, but the wheels appear to be Romfords. So a pretty fair aproximation and a reasonable scratchbuild, but probably made without access to good scale drawings. No idea what I can do with it. Probably have to go back on e-bay.

P2260097.JPG.f409efe0fa2c4242d0ce0ff9b3a1555d.JPG

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

For all we know, No. 29 might be a first attempt at scrachbuilding by the builder of No. 33.

Within the limitations of the builder's skill, No. 29 is actually a reasonably fair representation of a 30 class single in Kirtley condition, although the tender has a suspiciously Great Westernish look about it.

The model of No. 33 represents the condition these engines had reached by the early eighties. I'm not sure about propelling the directors' saloon though.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Northroader said:

You ain’t been on eBay again? Some items would need attention.

Poncey Suvvener, (the cherries in blossom and the lambs are gambolling)

29 minutes ago, webbcompound said:

Now if we are showcasing wierd early singles bought on e-bay how about this. Looks like a small Crewe single, but it scales about right for a large Crewe single. there is something funny going on with the chassis, but the wheels appear to be Romfords. So a pretty fair aproximation and a reasonable scratchbuild, but probably made without access to good scale drawings. No idea what I can do with it. Probably have to go back on e-bay.

7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

For all we know, No. 29 might be a first attempt at scrachbuilding by the builder of No. 33.

Within the limitations of the builder's skill, No. 29 is actually a reasonably fair representation of a 30 class single in Kirtley condition, although the tender has a suspiciously Great Westernish look about it.

The model of No. 33 represents the condition these engines had reached by the early eighties. I'm not sure about propelling the directors' saloon though.

I haven't bought or bid for this model, which I tend to agree is intended to be a Midland loco.

I have a plan, long maturing, to attempt the Ankh Morpork & Sto Plains Hygienic Railway, and locos that have that Victorian aesthetic but that don't cut it as scale models of specific prototypes would be ideal for the project.

So, I am considering bidding for the Midland green loco and I would be happy to negotiate with Webb Compound should he decide to dispose of his Crewe-type (I assume it's not P4?!?) 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile, I've long been seduced by the idea of a late-condition 30 Class - Nos. 29 and 30 lasted until 1904 and No. 31 until 1903, what work they were actually doing in the 20th century seems to have gone unrecorded. Unfortunately Saltley's five, Nos. 94, 97-100 were all gone by the end of 1897 [S. Summerson, Midland Railway Locomotives (Irwell Press, 2007)].

I haven't forgotten No. 68A.

• Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

You ain’t been on eBay again? Some items would need attention.

I have a thread for that.

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

?!?

s-l1600.jpg.2cb3647610079ee73147709ebc6cf382.jpg

Again, looks like the sort of thing I discuss on my thread A wild kitbash appeared! cough shameless self-promotion cough Personally, I quite like it. Then again, I'm the sort who's willing to go off-script and kind of off the rails (ignore the pun) to get what I have in mind, so accuracy isn't really what you should ask for from me.

1 hour ago, webbcompound said:

Now if we are showcasing wierd early singles bought on e-bay how about this. Looks like a small Crewe single, but it scales about right for a large Crewe single. there is something funny going on with the chassis, but the wheels appear to be Romfords. So a pretty fair approximation and a reasonable scratchbuild, but probably made without access to good scale drawings. No idea what I can do with it. Probably have to go back on e-bay.

Same with this. Bit early for what I'm doing but if nobody else wants it, I'll take it off your hands Webb. 

And sorry to hear about the ongoing issues, James. Hope the weather finally calms the hell down soon.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
Spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, teaky said:

500 tonnes per second currently passing through the Severn in Worcestershire.

My mind is boggled!

That's 500 cubic metres per second. These figures quoted in the press so often lack any context. Data from the National River Flow Archive is available for Bewdley. This shows an average flow rate of 62 m³/s, with the summer low averaging around 25 m³/s and winter high averaging around 110 m³/s. The peak flow recorded since 1921 was on 21 March 1947, estimated at a bit over 600 m³/s. Peak flows of over 500 m³/s have been recorded on five occasions since 1921, most recently in November 2000. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 10

What with the rise of populism and various even nastier 'isms', the climate emergency, the number of active rogue states, the chilling authoritarianism of the world's second biggest economy, extreme weather events providing trials by fire and water, and covid 19, one could be forgiven for thinking this was the End of Days.  

However, the sun is shining, the dogs are snoozing and Radio 4 is telling me all about equine evolution, so I shall enjoy apocalypse postponed. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4