50 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Are you referring to the GWR locos, or to the Canon of Saints? ;)

Be careful, you might get fired.....

(Allegedly more painful than the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch)

• Funny 1

6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Though none of them were. With the exception of St Bernard, they're all pre-medieval.

My Arthur Mees Children's Encyclopaedia (10 volumes) didn't mention this subject, as I recall...    nor much explicit mention of Norfolk, thus my complete ignorance of the history of the area.

Do they still teach any history in schools these days?  I least I was given Latin.... as well as entertaining duster-throwing stuff about Whigs, Tories,  the rise of Communism, the Rise of Facism, and why when you are British you Always Win.  

edit; p.s. I mean the Charge of the Light Brigade,  Gallipoli, 3rd Battle of Ypres....  need I go on?

The Book 'First Day on the Somme' had an effect on me.    As did the loss of Hector Hugh Munro whose stories I loved.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I didn’t really study “history” at school: we did “social studies”.

That’s probably why I have enjoyed history ever since, but it was thanks to Iain Robinson that I realised the history might be of interest to me. He introduced me to brickwork bonds in one of his first RM articles.

A few years later, I was talking to a friend who was in his final year reading for a bachelor’s degree in history, and he was grumbling about vernacular architecture. He was more than a little surprised at the depth of my knowledge about brickwork and different roofing materials (to my shame, I didn’t reveal my source*) but I realised that history wasn’t just about monarchs, wars and dates.

* Because I didn’t want yet another Uni friend differentiating between me and other Simons as “Simon the trainspotter”.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Regularity said:

The Saints looked superb in it...

spacer.png

Not convinced.  Any GW passenger loco with a tender need to be the correct green!  Come to think of it, they should all be green.:aggressive_mini:

Brian.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Not convinced.  Any GW passenger loco with a tender need to be the correct green!  Come to think of it, they should all be green.:aggressive_mini:

Brian.

Black is the correct green:

1368080814_CityofTrurocorrectlivery.jpg.f93546188fe1e3bb5228857529dc9375.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

53 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Black is the correct green:

I know. I made Kitmaster models in the early 60s.  Schools, Prairie, some others,  but the Stirling 8'-Single was green.

What a pity they didn't do any LNWR or even Midland engines. Then I should have received a proper education.

Edited by robmcg
confusion, ignorance, indolence
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, webbcompound said:

Don't see what all the fuss is about. Here is an 0-4-4-0 T1 resplendent in Pennsylvania Railroad Brunswick Green, (the 1940s is pre-grouping in the US)efore.

Don't mention the PRR. They were agin my Kitmaster Hudson, which begat the NYC Niagara...  and this would never have gone so fast in green.

6001_NYC_4-8-4_S1a_portrait2_2ab_r1500.jpg.b8ba570414516760c6a05f7af6df5896.jpg

sorry thread drift and totally non-Edwardian. Apologies.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Aye , but Blue is the new green. Mind you that is two shades of blue about which there is still much debate. If I waited for a definite colour they would be in works grey long after I'm gone. 

bc_2.JPG.9df362c4b2723da7836d9df7f9698aec.JPG

I do like Midland red though. I might still inflict bits of my forays into pre -grouping N on folk . Or bits of NE, some early BR, a try at LNER, or heaven forbid "Modern Image " . 

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Didn't the Midland paint locos green at one time?

I believe so but I am no expert on greens, I sometimes call blue green...  

I'm there are better-qualified people about who know more than me, on most if not all subjects. :)

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dave John said:

Aye , but Blue is the new green. Mind you that is two shades of blue about which there is still much debate. If I waited for a definite colour they would be in works grey long after I'm gone. 

bc_2.JPG.9df362c4b2723da7836d9df7f9698aec.JPG

I do like Midland red though. I might still inflict bits of my forays into pre -grouping N on folk . Or bits of NE, some early BR, a try at LNER, or heaven forbid "Modern Image " . 

Given the light stability of pigments then (or indeed even today in many cases) plus the aforementioned impact of smoke, they are probably both right

or both wrong.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Didn't the Midland paint locos green at one time?

It has to be confessed that middle chrome green is the natural default colour for locomotives, going back to the early main lines - GJR and L&B - with the LNWR only going over to black a few years after Webb took command - c. 1872. Midland engines were green; Johnson altered the shade before going for "oxide of iron" in 1883 - on grounds of economy... 

And of course Stroudley famously painted his engines in an improved shade of green.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

It has to be confessed that middle chrome green is the natural default colour for locomotives, going back to the early main lines - GJR and L&B

Don't forget that the M&CR was one of the oldest railway companies in the UK and certainly the oldest company in the LMSR and they always painted their engines in mid-chrome / quaker / brunswick green.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, CKPR said:

Don't forget that the M&CR was one of the oldest railway companies in the UK and certainly the oldest company in the LMSR and they always painted their engines in mid-chrome / quaker / brunswick green.

... but bucked the default of claret for carriages.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

... but bucked the default of claret for carriages.

Aye well, that's for them tha' fancy pants southern railway companies wi' more brass then sense. And t'north eastern.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, CKPR said:

Aye well, that's for them tha' fancy pants southern railway companies wi' more brass then sense. And t'north eastern.

... and North British, Caledonian (most of the time), and Sou' Western. Fancy Southern companies from the point of view of the Highland and the Great North, I suppose. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

'Practicable', rather than 'possible', I think.

The art of the possible could include rail-mounted tea-clippers, acting as tractive units, which would undoubtedly be less environmentally impactful than even the best of current technology.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

The art of the possible could include rail-mounted tea-clippers, acting as tractive units, which would undoubtedly be less environmentally impactful than even the best of current technology.

Tunnels and deep cuttings might be a problem...

Or the becalmed "Cutty Sark" express for the West Country on a hot summer Saturday, with "I Require a Tug" flags drooping from the rigging!

1167112132_IRequireATug.jpg.df2883b35cdaf84ca94e9cf984ca465c.jpg

• Funny 5