No, generally rejects have to be accounted for and sent back/held for spares.

The model has a superb finish. It really does look like painted metal and, indeed, most of it is!

The boiler and side sheets are all metal. The only plastic in the 'upper works' are the dome, safety valve casing and cab (the bits that got knocked off).  The artfulness here is to match the finish of these items and the plastic tender with that of the metal loco body.

• Like 4

That probably results from the belief back in the seventies that RTR models were unprototypically glossy in finish and the new superdetailed models from the likes of Airfix and Mainline being praised in reviews for their more authentic satin / matt finishes.

It is possible to polish up parts of plastic bodied models for a more convincing sheen without too much effort.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Thought it would be simpler in the end to pop over to Shildon to fetch a replacement.

20211215_151537.jpg.4d3a61083e0731942b3fb9784d12e3fb.jpg

It was just as well that I had the chance to inspect the replacement, as the first one I was offered proved to be, to say the least, interesting ....

20211215_151305.jpg.ec0c6ebd36f9ada721bb4c6285fbb5fe.jpg

This would not have mattered to me, as I will overlay with the etches, but I was not allowed to leave the shop with this rarity, this misprinted penny black.

So, I took this one instead ....

20211216_000411.jpg.5d3867f69e323957364b449876169d7d.jpg

The LNWR livery makes for a very compelling statement that is a serious temptation.

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I though Simon was referring to James, not you.

It's alright Stephen I guessed that was what you meant.

Yes the Alfred is 'Nelson' - and both the Alfred and the Problem are models for the Trainz simulator by the amazingly talented Ed Heaps.

While I own a number of LNWR engines I do my best to avoid their allure or else I'd never get anything done.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2