45 minutes ago, Hroth said:

You've created a MONSTER.....

I assure you, I can claim no credit for setting this up.  But it is a dangerously addictive thing. 

45 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I think that Terry Pratchett once said that he was astonished that people knew more about the Discworld than he remembered writing about...

Yes, there is not only more known than modelled, but more known than remembered, so I am finding the process of creating a 'central repository' of information useful in a number of ways.  The temptation to keep adding more detail, as and when it occurs, could however seriously erode time owed to other things, so now the CA page has some of the basics covered, it will do until I have further time to spare it. 

I note the Blackstone entries are thriving, and, again, useful to have a single coherent point of reference for this.

10 hours ago, Northroader said:

Birlstone’s in there, Paltry Circus isn’t. You just can’t get the staff these days, mumble, mumble.

A good point. If Paltry Circus has no existence inside the Achingverse, where did my Metropolitan Pyramid Company wagon come from?!?

There's more to the damn 'verse than one might at first suppose!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Edwardian said:

PS: Washbourne ought to be in there because the Orpheans have, I'm sure, toured West Norfolk.

You have had visitors from Washbourne, most notably dear old Major Bob (Retd.) who explained about why you had a lack of Norfolk botany knowledge, and rather overdid his account of the Relief of Washbourne. Townsfolk here approach him very cautiously, as he is keen to tell you his opinion on everything, and works himself up until his face goes purple, and he has to recover by the administration of a large tumbler of gin. 

Then there’s my French colleague, who occasionally appears to give a Gallic take on matters. Currently he’s lying low, having borrowed my BR hi-vis vest to go taking up cobblestones in Paris. He’s looking forward to Brexit, as he thinks any extradition requests from France will be turned down.

On a technicality, the Orpheans have an outstanding request to visit, but never took it up. They got as far as the Music Hall at Paltry Circus, but came back very overcome by the, er, boisterousness, of the audience, and never got as far as Liverpool Street. One of their leading lights, the Honourable Miss Alexandra Pullman-Chopps, was last seen delivering a “Poem to a Pud” here at the station. By the bye, in the Achingpedia, I notice that sadly what the literary critics term a “spoiler” has appeared, insofar as the full life history of the main heroine of Blackstone has appeared. This has totally wrecked my enjoyment of the serialised account which I have been avidly following. The poor author must be totally distraught.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, Northroader said:

You have had visitors from Washbourne, most notably dear old Major Bob (Retd.) who explained about why you had a lack of Norfolk botany knowledge, and rather overdid his account of the Relief of Washbourne. Townsfolk here approach him very cautiously, as he is keen to tell you his opinion on everything, and works himself up until his face goes purple, and he has to recover by the administration of a large tumbler of gin. 

Then there’s my French colleague, who occasionally appears to give a Gallic take on matters. Currently he’s lying low, having borrowed my BR hi-vis vest to go taking up cobblestones in Paris. He’s looking forward to Brexit, as he thinks any extradition requests from France will be turned down.

On a technicality, the Orpheans have an outstanding request to visit, but never took it up. They got as far as the Music Hall at Paltry Circus, but came back very overcome by the, er, boisterousness, of the audience, and never got as far as Liverpool Street. One of their leading lights, the Honourable Miss Alexandra Pullman-Chopps, was last seen delivering a “Poem to a Pud” here at the station. By the bye, in the Achingpedia, I notice that sadly what the literary critics term a “spoiler” has appeared, insofar as the full life history of the main heroine of Blackstone has appeared. This has totally wrecked my enjoyment of the serialised account which I have been avidly following. The poor author must be totally distraught.

You will have to take these points up with the Chief Instigators. I don't know who wrote the Blackstone entries.  My contribution has simply been to dump a whole load of the stuff already sketched out for the project into the Castle Aching page that had been set up.

I have put in a request to include and entry for the Isle of Eldernell & Mereport Railway at the chief editors' convenience. 

Sounds like a Washbourne page would be a hoot!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Northroader said:

I notice that sadly what the literary critics term a “spoiler” has appeared, insofar as the full life history of the main heroine of Blackstone has appeared. This has totally wrecked my enjoyment of the serialised account which I have been avidly following. The poor author must be totally distraught.

31 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

You will have to take these points up with the Chief Instigators. I don't know who wrote the Blackstone entries.

The entries for Blacksotone, and Lady Beauclerk were written by the author of the Madam Noir series, so hopefully she isn't too distraught, I will mark the page as potential spoilers for the series though

Whereas I think that the Revised Castle Aching Pages should give a comprehensive summary of most of what has been evolved over these (crikey!) 745 pages, insofar as it actually relates to Castle Aching, that is!

The Achipedi Entry does, and I suspect must, lack a certain fragrant something, however ... 

1636945974_JARC08.jpeg.aae16e0e189466be7977fd46219981a1.jpeg

I do hope, though, that beyond the instigators of this online repository, some more of those who, like me, find their pet projects indexed on Achipedia, will be tempted to turn red links into blue, for our general edification and entertainment.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I do hope, though, that beyond the instigators of this online repository, some more of those who, like me, find their pet projects indexed on Achipedia, will be tempted to turn red links into blue, for our general edification and entertainment. 

My red links shall become blue, hopefully in the not to distant future. Not until I have had a few day not developing the site though :jester:

I still look forward to giving the CA pages a thorough reading later

• Thanks 2

Well, the coming into being of the Achipedia has made my think again about Mr O'Doolite, so perhaps he ought to get a small mention ....... how does one edit it, and what proof does it have against anyone else who might stumble upon it (not sure how they might do that) making malicious edits?

It is potentially very useful, because if ever I decide to continue the O'Doolite story (and I have material that would permit that), or indeed embroider the fictions of Paltry Circus and Birlstone, its good to have a a point of reference for linking fictions (related fibs?), and I'm sure others will find similarly.

Kevin

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Well, the coming into being of the Achipedia has made my think again about Mr O'Doolite, so perhaps he ought to get a small mention ....... how does one edit it, and what proof does it have against anyone else who might stumble upon it (not sure how they might do that) making malicious edits?

It is potentially very useful, because if ever I decide to continue the O'Doolite story (and I have material that would permit that), or indeed embroider the fictions of Paltry Circus and Birlstone, its good to have a a point of reference for linking fictions (related fibs?), and I'm sure others will find similarly.

Kevin

Kevin, I am finding much the usefulness you anticipated; diverse threads may be gathered, and held, together.

If you are unable to edit the site, it means that Gary Bluelightening has restricted access, which provides the necessary protection for the content.

I believe that he is the one who can give you, and others whose oeuvres feature in the 'verse, the editorial access you need.  

You might wish to add a copyright notice to your entries, though there is a general one for the site in favour of its authors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Kevin

17 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Kevin, I am finding much the usefulness you anticipated; diverse threads may be gathered, and held, together.

If you are unable to edit the site, it means that Gary Bluelightening has restricted access, which provides the necessary protection for the content.

I believe that he is the one who can give you, and others whose oeuvres feature in the 'verse, the editorial access you need.  

You might wish to add a copyright notice to your entries, though there is a general one for the site in favour of its authors.

Kevin,

As James says I have to give editing permission to users before they can actually edit, the process is to register on the site, and then drop me a PM on here with the username you signed up with, I can then add editing ability to that account. Obviously I will vet PM's to make sure the people I give editing access to are actually people and not Russian* bots

Link to sign up is here: http://oakhillmodelrailway.co.uk/achipedia/index.php?title=Special:CreateAccount&returnto=Main+Page

Gary

*other countries are available

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Kevin, when you’re on the site, you can register, provide name and password just like you do on RMweb, then you can use the edit feature to build up whatever you fancy.

Gary, it is a great idea to create this, and I’m looking forward to reading entries and making a mess using it. Can you stick a link on your signature, please?

Alex, please don’t apologise, I was laying it on rather to wind you up, and I shall enjoy further episodes of Madame Noire with undiminished pleasure. Hope the hospital trip goes OK.

James, little did you know....

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Kevin, when you’re on the site, you can register, provide name and password just like you do on RMweb, then you can use the edit feature to build up whatever you fancy.

You managed to register about an hour before I locked editing down, so inherited permissions from before then, everyone else gets to wait for me before they can use it.

4 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Gary, it is a great idea to create this, and I’m looking forward to reading entries and making a mess using it.

I can't take the credit for the idea, that came from someone else, I merely offered to make it a thing as I already have the server space, so it doesn't cost anything, although the person who I would credit the idea to initially didn't think it was a good idea!!

Gary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

Can you stick a link on your signature, please?

I'll have to have a play with my signature, I'm currently at the maximum number of links, but there is other stuff I want in there as well 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Perhaps it was a means to see whether I am paying attention, but of all the outlandish and improbable inventions in the Achingverse the most outré, and quite probably libellous, has to be Hilsdon’s Temperance House!

This Outrage may be found Here!

I mean, on seeing that I had to sit down and pour myself a stiff one.

I doubt the Orpheans have ever stayed there.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

I'll have to have a play with my signature, I'm currently at the maximum number of links, but there is other stuff I want in there as well 

Its OK, Gary, since that post, I’ve found as an officially approved licensee on the site, a new icon has appeared on the screen which links directly in. I was hoping to have a more direct route than through James’ original post, and now I’ve got it. The scary thing is now, how much should I build this story up? Temptations are there, Hilsdons Temperance House, fr’instance, tee hee.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

At "Real Railways heavily featured in the Achingverse", it seems to me there ought to be the opportunity to develop the considerable body of material that has appeared on here in relation to the real relationship to western Norfolk and fictional relationship to the WNR itself of its significant neighbours, the Great Eastern and the Joint, plus of course the octopus in the room, or that hole in Edwardian's library, the Midland. How would one go about that?

For starters, I seem to recall some RCH junction diagrams?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

the octopus in the room, or that hole in Edwardian's library, the Midland. How would one go about that?

There is clearly a need for a short treatise on "The Castle Aching Goods Yard and the D299s - A discussion of their use for both merchandise and mineral traffic."

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Buhar said:

There is clearly a need for a short treatise on "The Castle Aching Goods Yard and the D299s - A discussion of their use for both merchandise and mineral traffic."

That's the sort of thing I was thinking of working up to, surreptitiously...

A starting point would be the through passenger workings, both regular and excursion - for example, I think it has been established that the famous M&GN "Leicester" conveys through carriages for Massingham from at least Leicester, possibly Birmingham - indeed the carriages have been identified as a D499 lavatory third brake and a D509 lavatory composite. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes, there must be pages in addition to the main Castle Aching page that deal in more detail with the various aspect s of the WNR and its workings, including the various matters raised above.

Glad to hear that the Temperance House has found a new licensee. Sounds promising.

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Glad to hear that the Temperance House has found a new licensee. Sounds promising.

Now I'm puzzled.  What would the proprietor of a "Temperance House" require a licence for?

Unless its for Music and Dancing.....

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

plus of course the octopus in the room, or that hole in Edwardian's library, the Midland.

If the Midland is an Octopus, then allegedly it'd taste like chicken, though some compare it to pork.....

I'll leave that investigation to someone with a more adventurous culinary bent!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

If the Midland is an Octopus, then allegedly it'd taste like chicken, though some compare it to pork.....

I'll leave that investigation to someone with a more adventurous culinary bent!

Hoping that some sucker will come along, eh?

(It’s ok, actually, unless overcooked.)

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

Now I'm puzzled.  What would the proprietor of a "Temperance House" require a licence for?

Well, precisely.  This I see as Northroader, aka the Sarsaparilla Kid, thus shooting himself in the foot.

• Funny 3