On 17/06/2019 at 14:22, Edwardian said:

.... something large, black and modern, but smelling and sounding just right, conveyed us back to Quorn.   

Remiss of me not to have included this .... 

1797565013_DSCN1077-Copy.JPG.9ced500b7067c0dc81e7da07b8a50a42.JPG

With my comprehensive knowledge of post 1914 railway matters, I can confidently identify this as a member of the LMS's Large Black Class of locomotives.

We also had a bit of Isle of Wight Southern, in the form of the excellent

1609903066_DSCN0904-Copy.JPG.25f52b7163ae0707b3d9f9db9595f252.JPG

1244001939_DSCN0906-Copy.JPG.46e27cd4c16d27020c6164cce421838f.JPG

161416485_DSCN0907-Copy.JPG.63e92a9a0a6aec0039a1e536a500d467.JPG

418036829_DSCN0909-Copy.JPG.e2c70309cf98a21936fc8faf1d56f710.JPG

1654289341_DSCN0910-Copy.JPG.5e1752e06e33ff39b93184e423f15c68.JPG

Stock in the fiddleyard revealed a more extensive range of periods, including, I'm glad to say, some pre-Grouping in the form of a Beyer Peacock 2-4-0Ts and a Terrier. 

154154977_DSCN0912-Copy.JPG.bad01e51006caaefcf26deeb804d8028.JPG

2128488886_DSCN0913-Copy.JPG.fea0fb99d4f84d625aaf5cb177d6fec7.JPG

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

With my comprehensive knowledge of post 1914 railway matters, I can confidently identify this as a member of the LMS's Large Black Class of locomotives.

With Large Blacks, identification is by counting the number of wheels tied together, then how big they are, then if its towing a small wheel behind the ones tied together.  Simples!

(It looks very shiney too!)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

According to the railway scenes in “Stan and Ollie”, that particular class was an express passenger engine...

(Also, the 1953 tour started in Northampton, not Newcastle.)

14 minutes ago, Regularity said:

According to the railway scenes in “Stan and Ollie”, that particular class was an express passenger engine...

(Also, the 1953 tour started in Northampton, not Newcastle.)

Filmmakers.  Bless.

And their grasp of English geography. 

Take the Kevin Costner Robin Hood flick. Robin returns from the crusades in the Holy Land and arrives on the coast, presumably somewhere on the south coast, of England.  He and his companions then proceed on foot.

It is in these circumstances that Our Hero confidently assures his companions "we'll be in Nottingham by nightfall". 

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Robin hood aka costner playing Errol Flynn, as almost as inaccurate as the Australian playing a Welshman in a film named after a Norman. Based loosely in Scotland..

Edited by TheQ
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, teaky said:

Via Hadrian's Wall too.

(I think they edited out the scene where he stole some twenty-league boots from Jack the Giant Killer.)

As the late, great, Sir Terry Pratchett pointed out, the groin strain usually proves fatal.

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Filmmakers.  Bless.

And their grasp of English geography. 

Take the Kevin Costner Robin Hood flick. Robin returns from the crusades in the Holy Land and arrives on the coast, presumably somewhere on the south coast, of England.  He and his companions then proceed on foot.

It is in these circumstances that Our Hero confidently assures his companions "we'll be in Nottingham by nightfall". 

4 hours ago, teaky said:

Via Hadrian's Wall too.

(I think they edited out the scene where he stole some twenty-league boots from Jack the Giant Killer.)

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Costner lands at Dover IIRC.

My children were watching that nonsense the other day, but they seemed deeply unimpressed by me pointing out the impossibility of the mega-yomp.

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Robin hood aka costner playing Errol Flynn, as almost as inaccurate as the Australian playing a Welshman in a film named after a Norman. Based loosely in Scotland..

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

As the late, great, Sir Terry Pratchett pointed out, the groin strain usually proves fatal.

Also pointed out by Terry Pratchett, nothing gets in the way of a good story, not even logic. 

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
Spellchecking
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

With Large Blacks, identification is by counting the number of wheels tied together, then how big they are, then if its towing a small wheel behind the ones tied together.  Simples!

Ones with small wheels behind were only black when no-one was looking. It's the small wheels being pushed along in front that one needs to note. 

5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

LMS - like GWR, only black.

That comes very close defamation but I think in fact it's just a typo: "LMS - like GWR, only better"?

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

42 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Ones with small wheels behind were only black when no-one was looking. It's the small wheels being pushed along in front that one needs to note. 

That comes very close defamation but I think in fact it's just a typo: "LMS - like GWR, only better"?

As someone once wrote

Yesterday, beside a Pannier

I bade farewell to William Stanier

His is a most peculiar fate

He's off to make the Midland great. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Also pointed out by Terry Pratchett, nothing gets in the way of a good??? story, not even logic. 

• RMweb Premium

As someone once wrote

Yesterday, beside a Pannier

I bade farewell to William Stanier

His is a most peculiar fate

He's off to make the Midland great. 

Mrs Compound was amused on discovering my copy of Brian Haresnape's Fowler Locomotives.

But to be serious (and seriously post-Grouping) for a moment, Stanier took the best of both the Swindon and Derby drawing office traditions to produce locomotives that were an improvement on what had gone before on either line.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

As regular readers may know, my tastes are nothing if not catholic and I have no patience with the kind of football supporter attitude to railway companies past; partisan in favour of a particular team, decrying others. 

This, I find, is the approach to take in all manner of institutions.  There has, of course, to be the odd exception in the case of universities ....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Stanier took the best of both the Swindon and Derby drawing office traditions to produce locomotives that were an improvement on what had gone before on either line.

Leading us ultimately back to the BR Standards, with Riddles (a Crewe man through and through) producing designs based on the simple principle of most effect from least complication (apart from 71000, with 3 cylinders).

Painted black.

And (mostly) lined.

In LNWR style.

Which makes this relevant to this forum, so we can relax.

• Like 3

If our learned friend will permit, may I point out that the loco in question has 4 pairs of joined up wheels pushing one pair in front, thus being a heavy freight loco of the 8F classification.  Unfortunately it's not the one from the SVR which was Clyde built (NBL).

Jim (wearing his pedant's hat)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Wouldn’t you be happier discussing the LMS small black class of engine?

Waving the flag for Horwich there? 

I think there was only one truly LMS design of small black engine, the 2F 0-6-0T dock tanks.