What make and model is this land rover trailer on Canada Street?

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I, too, think it looks like the Airfix one.  The kit is straightforward (it was well designed to begin with), although care is needed with the Landrovers themselves as they use a number of clear parts, that need painted, so as to give a flush-glazed look.

Another option would be the BW Models range (although they seem to be no longer available).

Hope that's of use.

Regards,

Alex.

JB models did a S3 LWB kit that came with a Sankey trailer. 

I built lots of the land rovers, cutting and shutting a few of them but never really built the trailers. 

The tyre on the trailer looks like their moulding...

Airfix acquired the JB Models range so the Airfix kit linked above is the same as the JB Models kit.

Adrian

If you want any close up prototype photos I just might know a man who could help.

Thanks for that,   it's a very  interesting vehicle imho.

Here's the JB models kit laid out.

post-4032-0-70428300-1456098378_thumb.jpg

Now partly assembled and waiting for some paint to dry, so should have another pic tomorrow. 

I came across this web site recently about  101 type trucks that were used to make the first coast to coast crossing of the Sahara, from the Atlantic to the Red Sea on the Joint Services expedition in 1975. This includes one of the original vehicles now preserved:

http://www.exploringoverland.com/overla ... unite.html

This probably needs another thread....

Bill

The ROF at Birtley used to despatch trailers that looked like this by rail in the early 1980s. They looked innocuous, but apparently carried a latter-day Bangalore Torpedo for mine clearance works. The Sankey trailers themselves were made at the GKN-Sankey factory near Oakengates, Telford, I believe.

There was an earlier FC Land-Rover, wasn't there? Back in the early 1970s, one of our neighbours in Llanelli worked for SWALEC's 'Hot Wire' team, and used to bring one home from work. It was eventually replaced by a Uni-Mog.

• RMweb Premium

The ROF at Birtley used to despatch trailers that looked like this by rail in the early 1980s. They looked innocuous, but apparently carried a latter-day Bangalore Torpedo for mine clearance works. The Sankey trailers themselves were made at the GKN-Sankey factory near Oakengates, Telford, I believe.

There was an earlier FC Land-Rover, wasn't there? Back in the early 1970s, one of our neighbours in Llanelli worked for SWALEC's 'Hot Wire' team, and used to bring one home from work. It was eventually replaced by a Uni-Mog.

The earlier FC Land-Rover was based on the standard Series III LWB model. Husky produced a diecast model that is exactly 00 scale and can still be found quite cheaply.

The earlier FC Land-Rover was based on the standard Series III LWB model. Husky produced a diecast model that is exactly 00 scale and can still be found quite cheaply.

Do you mean the actual trailer or the land rover itself - it is only the trailer I am interested in.

This is the earlier, mid 60's, civilian Forward Control.

The IIA, launched in 1962 with a 109" wheelbase, was fitted with a straight six 2.2 litre diesel, it was considered somewhat under powered. The improved IIB was launched in 1966 with a 110" wheelbase, a wider track to improve stability and the reliable Rover 2.6 petrol was offered as an option.

post-6861-0-77414500-1456170941_thumb.jpeg

Most were sold to commercial users and with very modest sales they were not considered a success.

The military Forward Control, with a 101" wheelbase and fitted with the standard Rover 3.5 V8 petrol, was built to an army spec. for an airportable (when stripped of doors, tilt etc.) light gun tractor to tow the 105" light field gun. It has a lot of commonality with early Range a Rovers, well, apart from comfort. They were only in production from 1975 to 1978. A handful were sold to overseas military forces and none direct to the civilian market as they were considered too utilitarian.

Here's mine, a 1977 GS (general service) gun tractor.

post-6861-0-11445500-1456171568.jpeg

Having ordered more than needed the army had some rebuilt with a large, pantechnican style, body and fitted out as ambulances, many civilian ones are used as campers. There were also two, rare, rigid bodied versions, the Vampire electronic warfare vehicle and a communications vehicle.

Current issues of the 101 club magazine, Six Stud, have a serialised account of a couple taking an ex ambulance camper on an expedition from Dorset to Krygyzstan. They have my admiration.......

Excellent, Arthur!     Is that a Massey Ferguson behind the 101?

You said  the 101  has some commonality with the  original range rover - as a matter of interest, does it have the same permanent 4 wheel drive transmission ? 

Would it be possible to post a pic of the cab interior, please?

Saw an ambulance camper conversion some years ago at a motor caravan show, that had been all the way to Australia and back (some of the way as deck cargo but a lot of overland driving).  It had a large trailer that was like the Sankey trailer at the beginning of this thread. That one had had a diesel engine fitted.

Yes, I'll get some cab interior photos, today if I can, tomorrow at the latest.

They're permenant four wheel drive, four speed with a high low transfer box. The engine and transmission arrangement is based on early Range Rovers and they sit on heavy duty Salisbury axles. They'll do nearly 80mph, though it's a bit like driving an old greenhouse at that speed, and are surprisingly quick off the mark.

Diesel engines and LPG conversions are fairly common under civilian ownership largely to reduce running costs. As you can imagine, the petrol V8 is a bit thirsty though it does sound lovely.

The tractor is a 1964 Nuffield 10/60 (10 forward speeds/60hp) though it has been stretched and the original BMC 4 cylinder replaced with the 6 cylinder version making it, essentially, a 10/90 (90 hp). There are a number of such conversions around.

These were taken last year when I was doing some work on it. The headlights and mudguards were off at the time.

post-6861-0-36340700-1456229256_thumb.jpeg

post-6861-0-88578100-1456229274.jpeg

The photos show the versatility of Harry Fergusons hydraulic three point linkage system which became the standard fitment on all tractors. It allows the mounting of a whole range of implements to carry out a range of tasks.

The first photo shows a topper, a kind a coarse mowing machine, held by the linkage and driven from the pto. The second a simple crane, raised and lowered via the hydraulics.

Rare opportunity to buy one of the current in service Penman Trailers, as used with the Land Rover Wolf.

http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/,30,/78220/Penman.htm

The same site has plenty of Land rovers for sale, including hard and soft topped, battlefield ambulances, armoured and snatch.  Oh, plus there are Scimitars, Spartans and an Alvis Stormer.

Archived