NEW-LOOK: BRM Spring + FREE DVD!

SteveCole

You know, I've spent so long trying to get that particular 9F to run into all roads of the fiddle yard I'd not spotted it had a pipe adrift.  Still, it could have been 92050 with its distinctly wonky cab.....

I have discovered that just about where the third and 4th wagons on the train are the track is a little too close together- two Dapol 9Fs will entangle their valve gear it they try to pass at that point- why any 9F on the layout at a show runs Southbound.

Many thanks to Andy for getting up close and personal with the pics, showing that N-gauge is beginning to hold its own in comparison with larger scales.

If anyone wants to have a look at Hawthorn Dene (and suggest things I can do better on Croft Spa) it will be at the Manchester Bus Museum show in May, the Great Central Railway in June and Newcastle in November.

All the very best

Les

Hi Les.

Interesting facts there!

You are correct, these days N Gauge models are harder to spot than they used to be, compared to OO Guage.

In the days when there wasn't a label on top of the page shewing the scale, it could be a guessing game without reading the text! ;)

I recently bought the March 2016 issue of BRM (we get British magazines about a month later here in Canada) and REALLY like the new design.

Hopefully this is an issue that actually shows the new design -- if not, I will hang my head in embarrassment !   I've just compared this March 2016 issue with several that I have from 2015 and 2014, and this one looks much better.

I'm a freelance graphic designer with a background in magazines, and I found this new design very easy to read and study the page layouts, etc. There's lots of white space, the issue looks open, & not cluttered (a problem that I think many railway magazines have).  

I like the font choices too, especially the body text font -- very easy to read.  I wonder, though, if you're getting fewer words per page but that is often a good price to pay if the publication is easier to access.  At any rate, I found it easier to read through the various articles (compared to magazines that use san serif fonts for body text).

I buy a few magazines here from news stands, depending on the content/topics for that issue. I'll probably be buying BRM more in the future now!

Rob 

• RMweb Premium

I've also just picked it up -- no plastic bag, but I finally found the signs all by myself.

I've missed the odd numbered sections of the station construction; is there any way to get them? Rob, do you have them?

Distribution in the colonies is erratic as well as late.

I like the font choices too, especially the body text font -- very easy to read.  I wonder, though, if you're getting fewer words per page but that is often a good price to pay if the publication is easier to access.  At any rate, I found it easier to read through the various articles (compared to magazines that use san serif fonts for body text).

I prefer san serif fonts, finding then cleaner, more modern and easier to read, being less cluttered without the extraneous projecting serifs. And I understand why they're added and their supposed purpose but consider serifs old fashioned and fussy.

G.

I've also just picked it up -- no plastic bag, but I finally found the signs all by myself.

I've missed the odd numbered sections of the station construction; is there any way to get them? Rob, do you have them?

Distribution in the colonies is erratic as well as late.

There "should" be a link to the downloads in the magazine....and probably a link on the DVD? (Which does include the OO scale .pdf files.)

The downloads are on the Scale Model Scenery Website..( I think that is the right place!)

There are 5 parts, 4, plus the "optional" interior walls that were almost forgotten about!

In N, OO, and O Gauge Scales.

The N and O Gauge signs can be used in OO as well!

• Administrators

No, as I said earlier in this thread, in response to you saying the same thing also earlier in this thread:

Try the DVD extras - the instructions are in there.

Basically, open the DVD on your computer and looking in the Extras folder on the disk. You'll find a PDF for all 4 parts of the card kit and you want part 4.

The signs are excellent and probably worth the price on their own.

No, as I said earlier in this thread, in response to you saying the same thing also earlier in this thread:

Basically, open the DVD on your computer and looking in the Extras folder on the disk. You'll find a PDF for all 4 parts of the card kit and you want part 4.

Yes they are, but in my case I was looking for the N Gauge ones and the ones on the disc are OO, according to the little logo on the sheet...

Sarahagain PM'ed me a link to the website and found what I wanted there.

The signs are indeed quite good...

But as has been said, the DVD "only" includes the 4mm/ OO Gauge files. While the web-site has all 3 scales, O, N, OO....

Is there a link to the site on the DVD? Mine are elsewhere at the moment...

Archived