Problems with water ingress into shed at track tunnel mouths

I'm having an issue today with water ingress into my shed via the tunnel mouths where track heads outside. Essentially, splash back from snow falling is pushing water under the access doors and soaking into the fabric of the shed under the trackbed.

I haven't noticed this before in best part of three years that the layout has been built, but that doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't happened before. Both tunnel portals have a roof on the outside that stretches out around four inches to protect the doors, but this doesn't help in this situation.

Has anyone else had a similar issue, and if so did they find a good workable solution?

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid snow causes these problems acting like a dam and retaining the water, I have the same issue with the garage as the centre melts first holding a pool of water that then finds any new crack in the sealant due to the pressure!

All I can suggest is a sloping wedge under the portal you already have to direct the splashes back onto the track at the entrance. If the entrance is rectangular you can push it out through that and lock it in place with a pin inside to keep it secure. The block can be easily replaced every couple of years or just paint it well to seal it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to try and make some splash guards that can be wedged in place when the railway is not in use, but can easily be removed for running trains. I just have to find suitable weatherproof material that I have to hand and wait for drier weather.

• RMweb Premium

Could you try the clear plastic ribbons they have in full size doorways? The ones that forklifts etc drive through to load wagons, a barrier to wind driven snow or rain but not damaging to locos and stock. Might need some experimenting though.

• RMweb Gold

What diameter are the portals?

Would an empty 2 ltr pop bottle shoved up them help.

If too big, then cut the bottle down.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

The following link is all I can currently find to show the location from the outside. Unfortunately this area is not very photogenic, so has escaped being caught on camera most of the time: https://youtu.be/dyk9Jvn0I7o?t=3m6s

Looking at that video I'm surprised you haven't had trouble before now  as it will be difficult for water to drain away off that solid board and there's no cover over the top to keep it off in the first place.

I would suggest you first priority should be to extend the tunnel outwards away from the shed making sure it goes over the sides of your baseboard but leaving some holes or suitable channels for drainage.  It needs to be removable both for access reasons and to allow drying out should any water, especially snow, get into it.

Ideally - and not nice to hear after all the effort which went into the build - the baseboard needs a tiny little bit of sloping away from the shed wall so any water which does get into the wrong place will drain away.  That might not be a practical proposition of course so the best answer remains some sort of extended 'tunnel' to minimise water/snow ingress and keep it away from the shed structure.

• RMweb Premium

It is the wrong time of year now but Tesco's Christmas roulade  (Giant Swiss Roll) packaging would make ideal tunnel exits. A hard task but if you search an M&S food hall you may find something similar.....

• RMweb Premium

Different idea - run a snowplough.

When I had a garden railway I used a battery powered loco to push a snowplough round. Great fun. My tracks were on a gradient up to the shed and I never had any problems like you describe. Hope you get it resolved

Hi Jenny, With an outdoor extension to build, I'm going to jump the tracks across a air gap in the baseboard so that the latter is not physically connected to the shed and interior baseboards. There will of course also be a short avalanche tunnel and track-tight blockers for when the layout is out of use. My shed gets a pasting when it rains and fortunately the snow we see is usually in the distance!

There is a slope in the trackbed leading up to the tunnel mouths, but clearly not enough to prevent the problem. Come to think of it, I suspect the emergence of the problem now has more to do with the trimming the Conifer above the shed received four months ago. Before then, I suspect it sheltered that end of the shed.

Archived