SCRATCH BUILT MODERN EUROPEAN STYLE WAGONS 4mm ish

Hi Grizzz, i havnt got round to the big hoppers yet. Ive considered the different approaches with styrene or brass to get the body done. With it all weighed up i think it's a tall order. George at s.Kits is producing kits for 25 quid each- i think il go for these eventually.

Ive generally used geneesis kits airtank on all my wagons although its a bit oversized in some instances. My 59s are all based on the Hornby version with includes the better motor and easier mods for dcc. Ive put a class 67 tts chip in it as they sound the same as a 59!

• Like 1

The fact that Dapol have taken so long to sort the 59 has meant its unlikely i would buy it now. I believe it was announced in mid 14.. Compare this to the new 66 which will be available just after xmas!!

But alas it could be worse-my tt mate who is praying for a class 66.. Hes still trying to cram a decoder and speaker into a triang 08! Im afraid to tell him its impossible...

Marco spot on with 59001 mate. It often passes by our place on the way to Newhaven or off back to Achtung yard. I really hope in these days of private companies flogging off locos around the world that this proto type is preserved for future generations to enjoy in the UK.

The large Yeoman hoppers pose a problem...very pricey for enough wagons to make up a decent rake but complicated enough to make scratch building difficult and time consuming. The kits sound interesting.

The wagon in the photo is a curtain sider filmed at Hamburg Harburg station last Friday, plan to build 8. May put TF25s under them, although they have Y25s. This uses the previous method of construction, Marley 35mm (approx) O.D., waste pipe glued on to 1mm styrene sheet, with 0.5mm side supports and 0.25mm styrene sheet pulled over the top. Tissue paper forms the 'hood', PVA'd in place and then sprayed to make it solid.

The black object is a 'Rothenburg' 35mm pipe cutter just bought from Screwfix. It has a small knife blade inside it that allows for fairly accurate cutting.

post-28700-0-90688000-1534336592_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi guys, hope all is fine for you all.

I am writing from Uruguay, South America, I am railroad modeller H0 scale marklin and other brands like Roco and....

I always loved scratch building or kitbashing as americans say. 

After reading all this topic many, many times I decided to write.

I am working in two projects, grain hoppers and diesel lok mak 1206. Both projects have certain personal touch, is difficult be so precise in the "copy".

I attach info for those who can be interested and some personal photos.

A french magazine article where you can find a route to follow but is in "0"

A 1/87 scale plan, I made some changes I can explain if you want

Mak 1206

sorry if my english is not the best  :onthequiet:

Grizzly can you upload any photo from the under frame of the wagons you produce?

I mean photos from below, understand? just to see the brakes and more

Regards a lot to all you

Gabriel

"I´ll be back"

post-34519-0-12843400-1534421161.jpg

post-34519-0-06030300-1534421293_thumb.jpg

selection.pdf

• Like 3

Marco spot on with 59001 mate. It often passes by our place on the way to Newhaven or off back to Achtung yard. I really hope in these days of private companies flogging off locos around the world that this proto type is preserved for future generations to enjoy in the UK.

The large Yeoman hoppers pose a problem...very pricey for enough wagons to make up a decent rake but complicated enough to make scratch building difficult and time consuming. The kits sound interesting.

The wagon in the photo is a curtain sider filmed at Hamburg Harburg station last Friday, plan to build 8. May put TF25s under them, although they have Y25s. This uses the previous method of construction, Marley 35mm (approx) O.D., waste pipe glued on to 1mm styrene sheet, with 0.5mm side supports and 0.25mm styrene sheet pulled over the top. Tissue paper forms the 'hood', PVA'd in place and then sprayed to make it solid.

The black object is a 'Rothenburg' 35mm pipe cutter just bought from Screwfix. It has a small knife blade inside it that allows for fairly accurate cutting.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Photooooossssss pleeeeaseeeee!!!!!

Hi Gabriel. Sounds like an interesting project you have got going there. That's a good start you have on the hopper wagon.

It is often difficult to get clear photos of the real wagon under frames / brake gear. Usually the best we have available are side views from different angles. There are some books or web pages which occasionally show them underneath but these are few and far between.

I have been taking photos of wagons and locos in France, Germany and Denmark recently. Each of these countries have freight wagons in rail yards that are fairly easy to access providing you are careful and behave correctly. Even so I have found it difficult to get good photos that show how the under frames, air brake equipment and associated pipes and cables clearly.

Most of the side views show the air tanks but on most wagons a lot of the pipe work is often run through the steel frames that make up the chassis. If we where able to turn the wagons upside down obviously we could see the all the details we need.

With the wagons I build I often go with what is visible from eye level from bogie height. Unfortunately I don't have any of them with me at the moment.

Ready to run wagons are a good example of what should be found under a typical wagon. However even within real wagon types this often varies because variations occur when the are built or repaired. I have built hopper wagons but they are particularly difficult because of all angles and the air brake equipment is usually visible.

Below are some photos of various wagons that show what is normally visible. These are from Denmark at Fredericia and Padborg.

post-28700-0-34763600-1534737576_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-00946000-1534737593_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-37611900-1534737614_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-72302500-1534737631_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-58291100-1534737651_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-51387800-1534737673_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

A bit more progress on the curtain siders. The weird part is that the one grey piece of plastic pipe must be made from a different type of plastic as it was difficult to stick the ribs on using liquid poly, where as the white stuck no probs.

Normally I stick a .25mm sheet of styrene over the whole assembly prior to sticking on the ribs. However I have tried it without this time, just using .5mm up to half way and the filing out the edge. Seems to have worked ok.

post-28700-0-91467800-1535017584_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-93008900-1535017614_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Gabriel. Sounds like an interesting project you have got going there. That's a good start you have on the hopper wagon.

It is often difficult to get clear photos of the real wagon under frames / brake gear. Usually the best we have available are side views from different angles. There are some books or web pages which occasionally show them underneath but these are few and far between.

I have been taking photos of wagons and locos in France, Germany and Denmark recently. Each of these countries have freight wagons in rail yards that are fairly easy to access providing you are careful and behave correctly. Even so I have found it difficult to get good photos that show how the under frames, air brake equipment and associated pipes and cables clearly.

Most of the side views show the air tanks but on most wagons a lot of the pipe work is often run through the steel frames that make up the chassis. If we where able to turn the wagons upside down obviously we could see the all the details we need.

With the wagons I build I often go with what is visible from eye level from bogie height. Unfortunately I don't have any of them with me at the moment.

Ready to run wagons are a good example of what should be found under a typical wagon. However even within real wagon types this often varies because variations occur when the are built or repaired. I have built hopper wagons but they are particularly difficult because of all angles and the air brake equipment is usually visible.

Below are some photos of various wagons that show what is normally visible. These are from Denmark at Fredericia and Padborg.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

the post really excellent, but perhaps my friend grizz-ly you did not understand what I wanted. 

If it is possible to you to take some photos from the under frame of your scratch wagons just to see and copy the braking system.

in soe othr post you did it, but the photos were not so clear.

thank you very much regards from "here"

A bit more progress on the curtain siders. The weird part is that the one grey piece of plastic pipe must be made from a different type of plastic as it was difficult to stick the ribs on using liquid poly, where as the white stuck no probs.

Normally I stick a .25mm sheet of styrene over the whole assembly prior to sticking on the ribs. However I have tried it without this time, just using .5mm up to half way and the filing out the edge. Seems to have worked ok.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Again an excellent development from our friend grizz-ly.

Wonderfull project to copy, more pictures are wellcome.

some pictures fron the under frame, I would really appreciate. Always trying "to copy and paste" the breaking system.

Continue this way

Regards a lot from a sunny sunday :rtfm:  :sarcastichand:

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Gabriel.. Sun will will be back here.. In fact it was here today down at Bedwyn where I spent the afternoon watching class 59s speeding by.. I enclose some of my underframes which I got round to having read your post.mine efforts are freelance and based on what can be seen from photographs. Scractbuilding demands high concentration and commitment.. So i take a break occasionally to enjoy my trainset..

post-29394-0-70231600-1537920918_thumb.jpg

post-29394-0-46509700-1537920929_thumb.jpg

post-29394-0-99428400-1537920941_thumb.jpg

post-29394-0-01293800-1537920970_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job Marco. The under frame on a wagon is so difficult to model because there are so often very few photos or drawings of them.

Gabriel's artical about the French hopper wagon shows how the under frame is built up. I am guilty of being lazy and not bothering with too much under frame detail as the normal viewing point of my layout is from around 45 degrees above, so any thing that sticks out below the sole bar I try to show, but if it doesn't I don't bother.

A generic 3D printed air brakes under frame detail would be good, such that it could be used in modular form.

I bought 20 spare Bachmann VBA bodies from Peter's Spares five years ago. Finally got round to shoving a scratch built chassis under it and re-spraying it as an experiment.

post-28700-0-99023300-1538902254_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-64365400-1538902314_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here's a bit of good news for you guys. I've asked Andy at Dapol if he can produce some spare JNA and IOA bogies which can be sold separately, to replace damaged ones, or to aid scratch building.....

....he's going to do them on the next production run!

That'll give us Axle Motion 3s and TF25s

I'd say that's a right result  :good:  

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 4

You might be interested in two new types mentioned in this month's 'Today's Railways- Europe'. One is a steel slab/coil carrier on two three-axle bogies, based on a design originally intended to carry the 'King Tiger' tank during WW2. Another is an 80' container flat, intended to carry 2 40' or 4 20' boxes.

• Like 2

Here's a bit of good news for you guys. I've asked Andy at Dapol if he can produce some spare JNA and IOA bogies which can be sold separately, to replace damaged ones, or to aid scratch building.....

I'd say that's a right result  :good:

Nice one Scoobyra!!!!!! Well done mate.

That is what is missing in this world, ready to run 4mm freight bogies! Mmmmmmm best start buying up styrene sheet and Evergreen strips in readiness for the next batch. The Dapol bogies under the HIAs run really well, they are a solid stable platform, well detailed and easy rolling. In total I have 40 of these hoppers and one Bachmann 66 can haul them on level track. Great wagons. Great value! I wonder what Dapol could knock these out at as a separate item. If you think that Bachmann B4s go for around £11 a pair, which is around a third of the cost of a coach!!!!!

Brian, I have had a go at a cut and shut TF25 bogies to form a three axles version. I have just made the one pair. They were fitted to a Revelle 'Ludmilla' kit and used as a rail cleaner with those axle hung cleaners from Gaugemaster. They have since been removed and are due to be used on a heavy weight flat steel carrying wagon, similar to the ones used on DB and DSB.

• Like 1

Erm.....check out the 4mm, RevolutioN MMA and JNAs......OMG. Wow.....

It is on a forum on RMWEB called 'RevolutioN announce MMA/JNAs in OO Gauge'.

The underframe looks awesome! I haven't seen one of these but they were at Wharley. Wow....I might just be getting a few, especially the plain grey. Wow....

Er I'm actually going to need 17 going by the Newhaven working on Thursday. That coupled with the new 66 from Hattons.....

Erm.....check out the 4mm, RevolutioN MMA and JNAs......OMG. Wow.....

It is on a forum on RMWEB called 'RevolutioN announce MMA/JNAs in OO Gauge'.

The underframe looks awesome! I haven't seen one of these but they were at Wharley. Wow....I might just be getting a few, especially the plain grey. Wow....

Er I'm actually going to need 17 going by the Newhaven working on Thursday. That coupled with the new 66 from Hattons.....

Your work is great. Funny enough I saw the new haven as I went to the staff car park at Gatwick , I did a double take as the box wagons were blue and I wasn’t expecting that.

Your work is great. Funny enough I saw the new haven as I went to the staff car park at Gatwick , I did a double take as the box wagons were blue and I wasn’t expecting that.

Cheers Rob.

The blue JNA wagons ran up from Newhaven last Thursday behind EWS liveried 66065. They appeared to be new.

I used to think that these blue ones were GBRF wagons but they aren't. They are VTG registered and they usually have DB power. The strange thing is that they don't appear in mixed rakes either. The other wagons that do the Newhaven run are generally a real mixture, often JYAs and ML JNAs.

Occasionally we get a rake of fairly new Grey ERMEWA JNAs, these tend to be on the GBRF hauled flow.. These are probably the ones I'll go for from RevolutioN.

The two different flows to Newhaven generally produce similar varieties of wagons in the consists. The GBRF flow is less regular and leaves earlier, passing Lewes around 11:30. It has occasionally occasionally run down at 14:00 ish and then back up at 18:20 ish. It only appears as an occasional flow from either Hoo / Grain or Tonbridge and doesn't always seem to go back to where it came from.

It will be interesting to see what happens once the marine dredged aggregate and concrete plant are but on the redundant railway land on the East Quay at Newhaven. It has bee granted planning permission and is definitely a rail connected facility. Apparently there is to be a bagged aggregate plant as well so this could perhaps produce some Habbins type wagons for these flows as well as more JNA and possibly Hoppers if there are to be suitable loading facilities.

Just a quick update on the rake of 22 JNA type wagons I started earlier in the year. Work interfering is the biggest reason they stagnated for a while. But I also ran out of water slide transfers. So it was an urgent email order to Steve at Railtec transfers and I got them through in the post the next day. Many thanks Steve. They really do finish off the body well and the quality of the tiny detail is superb. I just need to seal everything up with a satin varnish top coat.

post-28700-0-76394500-1543708256_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-10789600-1543708294_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I'd say that's a right result :good:

Wow great news.. Just when I was running out of bogies... Keep us posted..!

Marco, good job on the NR IOA wagon.

The price tag on the RevolutioN wagons has an 'early bird' of £37ish. It has to be said the detail is outstanding looking at the few photos I have seen. I am very tempted I must admit. The extremely detailed underframe would to help me to understand the works of any wagons I put together. And the ERMEWA grey ones regularly turn up on the Newhaven workings so that is a definate plus for me.