SCRATCH BUILT MODERN EUROPEAN STYLE WAGONS 4mm ish

The use of staples. To get a reliable source of hand rails and foot steps etc I have resorted to using metal staples of varying sizes. It saves soooo much time messing around with brass wire. Again if it looks about right in happy to compromise.

post-28700-0-05969900-1490431506_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-46075500-1490431562_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-79541000-1490431592_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-63046400-1490431658_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-76865000-1490431684_thumb.jpg

This is a Jouef 'Hood' reworked to 4mm ish by adding height and slight width. Just tried it as a project to see if it was possible to adapt RTR HO wagons easily. Vaguely content is probably the best summary of the results.....

post-28700-0-55775400-1490431709_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-10625700-1490431619_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

With regard to the hooded flat; I've done perhaps four of these. I found the height and width close enough to 4mm scale; however, the length was well short, so some cutting and shutting was done, adding perhaps a third to the length. I also removed the end detail, and replaced it with some uprights from Plastruct channel, and smaller cross-members from plastic strip. I used some Lima 'Tiphook' examples, and careful sawing meant the hood didn't need repainting.

Nice!!!! Good choice of wagon the JNA (Mendip Rail style) ones, if I am correct. They run down pass my place, towed by all three 59 variants and Sheds, to Newhaven on the ash and aggregate workings. Recent a couple of rakes of brand new ones have been turning up, these have a single extra horizontal side ribbing. Apologies to the wagon aficionados but I don't know the coding differences, just that they are JNAs on the TOPS coding.

The wagons using the staples are two similar but different variants of the common EURO open type as below. I've noticed that there are loads of varieties of these across Europe, with loads of different types of 'fittings', hand rails, steps, doors, ribs etc.

We took this photo at Osnabrück low level in August last year.

post-28700-0-32518800-1490527153_thumb.jpg

This train had all these JNAwagon variants. One has a huge brake wheel, one has a TML logo and there are three large ex scrap wagons, previously black with a yellow warning wasp stripe around the top edge....

post-28700-0-01262500-1490537549_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-90541300-1490537286.jpg

post-28700-0-54932800-1490537624_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-27949800-1490537587_thumb.jpg

post-28700-0-93401000-1490537663_thumb.jpg

Some are KEA ex CTRL wagons

Of which there were several variations. Some had ladders and narrow platforms at the ends, and had been built to bring lining segments to Shakespeare Cliff from either Grain or the Black Country. These were a mustardy-yellow, IIRC, whilst there were others built to carry mine-stone and aggregate to either the road-head at Sevington, or to Shakespeare Cliff itself. These were painted dark blue, IIRC. Some wagons of both sorts were run as five wagon sets, with buffing gear on the outer ends only. https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/K-Tops-codes/KEA-ex-TML-bogie-boxes/

The taller scrap wagons were originally built for AS&W at Cardiff to supplement/replace the four-wheeled 'Black Adders'

Edited by Fat Controller

Yes ive seen JNAs lots at westbury, great place for spotting. Im using a bit of modellers license with these I think. I want to put mrl markings on them but my research points to the fact that I havent built the right tyoe used by them. Im using the pattern nigel burkin illustrates in one of his book which is not correct for mrl.. I believe.. Break from building today as I visited Ally pally and got some reblows on One of my 66 and my 47. Time and money well spent!!

Absolutely love the wagons.Great building !

I'd love to do something like this, but I can't find the time to finish a plank or weather the stuff I've got !

Maybe in my next life ( or retirement )

Absolutely love the wagons.Great building !

I'd love to do something like this, but I can't find the time to finish a plank or weather the stuff I've got !

Maybe in my next life ( or retirement )

yes you do need time for research and purchasing stuff.. you need a few quiet evenings to get to rips with the project. Once you get started you will be ok..

And what are O and K bogies... Cant seem to find images.and where Did you get yours from...

'Orenstein and Koppel'; a German engineering firm that builds wagons, amongst other things. Their style of bogie is to be found under various types, including ex-VTG coil carriers, Cargowaggons, Yeoman/ Mendip Rail stone  wagons.

George Ansell (S-Kits) does the variety seen under the stone wagons. I've a link here to Mike Storey's posting, which has a PDF with details of his range: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109381-s-kits-jya/page-2

Grizz- ive heard mixed reviews on the wagon plan book- whats your opinion..

Marco

Marco, I think that this book is best summed up as a case of managing people's expectations. Prior to purchasing a copy of it I went to the Ian Allan book shop Lower Marsh Street, Waterloo and had a look at it. If there is any way that you can do this I would recommend it. Mainly because those that have voiced disappointment with the book may have ordered a copy without first checking it out and therefore found that it didn't meet their particular requirements. It doesn't have hundreds of photos of prototypes of each wagon type, but these are available in abundance on the web. It doesn't generally have the under frame drawings, not an insurmountable problem. It doesn't have endless lists of wagon numbers or go into huge details about the 'slight differences between those few built at a particular location on a wet Friday bank holiday in May in 1973'!!! All of which are available on the web. However it has clear easy to use scale line drawings of sides, ends, tops, angles and curves.

IMHO it is a great book. It has good clear scale drawings of modern air brakes wagons. This helps me to easily match my modelling skills to a particular type and have a go. This is the main reason why I bought it. It also has a good mix of wagons which was also why I bought it. For me the main reason was that I could not find scale drawings of modern air braked wagons that I wanted to build anywhere when I searched the web. It is a good book IMHO......please do check it out.

I hope that the author will bring out further books of modern air braked wagons using this format. I would buy further editions without hesitation. Hope that this helps Marco, and again superb modelling mate! Please do keep the photos coming.

Aha.....O&K Bogies......I bought some brass kits from Intercity Models a few years ago. They were very good. But I am not good with soldering brass, as I soon found out much to my distress and with much blistered fingers, despite much practice over the years I'm still not much good. Don't know if these are still available or if Intercity Models are still trading. Good company to deal with though. Good range of bogies.

Again same old problem...... Heljan make RTR 4mm scale wagons that use these bogies but won't sell them as a separate item! This is such a shame as I would buy loads, as long as they don't work out just two quid cheaper than a whole wagon!

Aha.....O&K Bogies......I bought some brass kits from Intercity Models a few years ago. They were very good. But I am not good with soldering brass, as I soon found out much to my distress and with much blistered fingers, despite much practice over the years I'm still not much good. Don't know if these are still available or if Intercity Models are still trading. Good company to deal with though. Good range of bogies.

Again same old problem...... Heljan make RTR 4mm scale wagons that use these bogies but won't sell them as a separate item! This is such a shame as I would buy loads, as long as they don't work out just two quid cheaper than a whole wagon!

I'm not sure that Inter-City are still going; he seems to have gone very quiet. He used to do Folkestone show, but hasn't been there for a couple of years.

You could try asking Dapol, who use similar bogies on their VTG coil wagon.

The S-Kits bogies are white metal, so can be glued or soldered.

You know now you come to mention it Brian I seem to remember that he may have been unwell. Although my memory is not good so that may not have been the case. Real shame if Intercity is no longer a going concern as they are good quality and affordable.

I don't know anyone at Dapol and don't want to just contact on the off chance as 'just another Joe Public can I have'.

If its a Cargowaggon style bogie, then its a LHB 665 style http://www.drehgestelle.de/6/pf_p65.html Genesis used to do one for their Cargowaggon flat. I did an etched inner for it, but have currently run out.

Jon

post-336-0-64260900-1491151195.jpg

Edited by jonhall
  • Like 1