SteveCole

I bought mine in Sainsburys yesterday, read bagged. It wasn't until I got home and opened it bag I realised there was a copy of Traction magazine. Firstly I thought I'd bought one of those twin packs at a higher price, but on checking was pleasantly surprised to find the additional magazine was a freebie. Well done BRM, great marketing ploy, even to me who didn't realise what I was getting!

Great content to in both mags,

• RMweb Gold

Just out of interest is there anyone else on here who doesn't look at the dvd?

Ed

I generally don't look at the dvds but I do keep them just in case!

I thought last month's with a scalescenes kit was a good idea, would like to see more of those :-)

Cheers,

Keith

The running time of the DVDs seems to vary.  The Spring 2016 issue was distinctly short measure: it says "approx 25 mins" on the sleeve but was nearer 20 than 25, I thought.  The April issue quotes "30+ minutes" but I am not inclined to watch it again armed with a stopwatch.  I will, however, give another spin to Phil Parker and the airbrush.

In the printed magazine I enjoyed reading about Tom Cunnington's Minories, having been quite taken with it at Peterborough, and the headline layout Runswick Quay.  Some will know why I warm to polygonal layouts - such a welcome change from endless dead straight ones.  Phil's article on motorising a diecast tram complemented Grime Street well - yes, I know, it's not just thrown together.  With various articles featuring aspects of making and detailing the magazine deserves its title again.

I was very pleased to see the use of RMweb names, both in the Locomotive Challenge feature and in the Web Chat box on the letters page.  They should never have been dropped in the first place.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

I bought the bagged edition out of Tescos. It had Traction with it and the DVD . Pretty good value I thought. I enjoyed the Traction articles on the Stranraer line and the railway layout Grinedale. As to the main mag , had I browsed it I wouldn't have bought it. Not a reflection on the magazine just that the contents not quite my thing this month. It happens what I dislike someone else likes, so you can't please everyone. Will keep an eye out for future editions

One thing I go on about is that the model railway press is manufacturer orientated and there really needs to be a mag that represents the model railway consumer . This edition proves the point. I thought it had actually been renamed Bachmann Railway Modelling , maybe to rival the Hornby Yearbook. The editors letter goes thought the 2016/17 range( it's a year of consolidation but do you know there's almost 300 new items in the Bachmann/Farish range) . Then pages 83-86 cover the actual announcement(more than 300 new items in the Bachmann/Farish range).

Now looking at the RMWeb thread on the announcement what would you say was the major talking point? Yes that's right prices. Not a mention of pricing can be found. Then page 38 has 6 RMWeb quotes on the announcement. Not a single word on pricing there either, quite surprising that given the thread they came from. Not selective....hmmmm. Then finally Tail Lamp , from the industry insider, there must be mention of pricing there I mean it's a pretty big issue in the trade/hobby. Err no ! Praise on the Blue Pullman , but no mention of the massive increase to £599. A double positive for the trade, by only selling to shops and not direct , but no mention on trade being decimated by three large price increases in 2 years. A bit one sided maybe?

Now I admit that I'm pretty cynical on things Kader at the moment, but I can see there are two sides to an argument. But here one side is not even mentioned. The model Railway press is not manufacturer centric.......Come on! I think the fat lady's sang and left the building on that one.

• RMweb Premium

Another enjoyable issue and DVD. Four items were especially interesting to me,

- 'How to make a park', I had never thought of having one on my layouts, but what a good filler for small spaces.

- The article on eyesight, something that is so important, but never considered.

- the section on airbrushing on the DVD

- the article on function mapping (I did suggest it to Ben some time ago, so it is nice to see suggestions being taken up), can we have similar article using a NCE Power Pro and Loksound decoders please?

Looking forward to the next issue.

Interesting seeing Runswick bay back in a mag. I have seen it live so long ago I can't remember where.Enjoyed Minories It looked good. Am I the only one who was a little surprised that none of the DMU units nor the featured class31 had any pipe work fitted?

I bought mine in Sainsburys yesterday, read bagged. It wasn't until I got home and opened it bag I realised there was a copy of Traction magazine. Firstly I thought I'd bought one of those twin packs at a higher price, but on checking was pleasantly surprised to find the additional magazine was a freebie. Well done BRM, great marketing ploy, even to me who didn't realise what I was getting!

Great content to in both mags,

The Supermarket copies are definately better value, bag aside... ;)

The Supermarket copies came with pre-printed card parts for the Model Building (over the last 4 issues...). OK, only in OO Guage, but....

Before the kit, the Supermarket copies had the Collectors Gazette bagged with BRM. Now it is in with Die Cast Modelling(?) Magazine.

Traction is OK, but I did prefer the Gazette! ;)

• RMweb Premium

The Supermarket copies are definately better value, bag aside... ;)

The Supermarket copies came with pre-printed card parts for the Model Building (over the last 4 issues...). OK, only in OO Guage, but....

Before the kit, the Supermarket copies had the Collectors Gazette bagged with BRM. Now it is in with Die Cast Modelling(?) Magazine.

Traction is OK, but I did prefer the Gazette! ;)

To be honest of the two mags I actually enjoyed Traction better . The Stranraer line article was excellent , although the revelation that sprinter 156s are 25 years old was a bit of a shock. I still think of them as new units! Nice to see the 126s pictured though. Of the main mag it was only really Minories that was of interest . Not really bothered by how to model a garden or the opticians piece , although I see the relevancy. I still think it's incredible three articles on Bachmann, 6 quotes from RMWeb and not one mention of price increases!

I still think it's incredible three articles on Bachmann, 6 quotes from RMWeb and not one mention of price increases!

That page was compiled before the price lists were widely available.

• RMweb Premium

That page was compiled before the price lists were widely available.

Thanks Andy. Maybe Industry Insider could have a chat with an anonymous model shop , or several, covering the issues they currently face. There was at least one contribution from a proprietor in either the thread on Bachmann announcements or the now closed Blue Pullman thread. So as not to appear biased , as well as asking about the effect of Bachmanns three large increases on trade , stocking policies etc, also include the effect of Hornbys policies , whether they've changed recently, and even things like High St rates and the increase in the Minimum Living Wage. Given the number of model shops closing down, or proprietors retiring , there is clearly an issue here. How are shops compensating , are they moving to a more web based presence, will Bachmanns policy of only supplying to shops actually catch them out in the long term, as the number of these shops dwindle.

Congrats on BRM , although as I said this month didn't float my boat , that's always going to happen with a monthly periodical, and the last two editions were really good. Sorry for going on about Bachmann but the magazine really did come across as a bit of a whitewash. Although I really don't see that any other Mag will be any different. I'll be interested in seeing the next Model Rail , especially as the contents may be of interest this month.

Praise on the Blue Pullman , but no mention of the massive increase to £599. A double positive for the trade, by only selling to shops and not direct , but no mention on trade being decimated by three large price increases in 2 years. A bit one sided maybe?

I believe you can get Tri-ang or Kitmaster versions quite cheap now.  I wonder why that is?

Ed

I have an online subscription as I live in the US but cannot seem to download the DVD. Is this intentional? When I try to view the DVD as a U Tube video will not go to full-screen mode in Chrome although all other U-Tube videos will full screen without problems.

I am using Chrome on a Windows 7 SP1  PC so I can have a large screen as opposed to those tiny notepad or phone screens.

Solved the U-Tube full screen problem and after viewing do not need to download as not really worth saving.

Grime street appears to anticipate Google/Apple/Benz Driver-less vehicles.  It was very visible that none of the trams, buses or trucks had  a driver or in the case of buses and trams any passengers. It is a common problem for modelling. I have resorted to Preiser HO drivers as a substitute. Behind the thick lens like windscreens and windows of Oxford and other 4 mm vehicles the scale difference is not noticeable.  Passengers on the trams should not all be seated and a few crowded towards the exit/entrance would be good for a very urban setting. Dart I believe has standing ticket collector figures with suitable 1950's ticket machines. Tram drivers obviously would not have their hands in a steering wheel position.

(I live near San Francisco and we have quite a collection of international antique -1950's and earlier- trams, called streetcars in the US. Drivers tend to find whatever they can put their hands on between stops as the speed and brake are pedal controlled. This collection known as the F Line runs along Market street through the heart of downtown SF and out to Fisherman's Wharf area long the Embarcadero.)

Otherwise, Grime Street is an extremely well done animation. From a 3 foot perspective even the cyclist is a fun touch. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

When is the May issue of BRM out ?

Recently at Alley Pally I took advantage of the subscription offer, but as yet not sure of the publication schedule.

Terry

• Administrators

When is the May issue of BRM out ?

Recently at Alley Pally I took advantage of the subscription offer, but as yet not sure of the publication schedule.

Terry

Hi Terry,

It goes on-sale in shops next Thursday (April 28th) so subscribers should start receiving copies early next week.

Steve

Where in the electronic May issue (subscriber now for several years) is the link to the Extra DVD (U-Tube or other location). Finally found the April one but this game of hide and seek needs to stop. Please put the link in a convenient consistent location.

thanks

Ok 

Once again I had to poke around and find the YouTube version for viewing on my PC.

I logged onto my account at Pocketmags and selected BRM.

I selected "view Now on the May Issue. 

I found a page 7 that was not visible on my notepad version downloaded and saved to the notepad.

Clicking on that it took me to a very small window to play the DVD video. Attempting to expand, got a message that full screen was not supported.

At that bottom of that video was the YouTube icon which I clicked on and then expanded to view full screen and was able to play with on my full 24 inch monitor quite nicely.

The May DVD was actually very good. Some helpful tips including one on getting nylon brush bristles out of your fingertips with tape will come in handy.

One thing I am doing to smooth the running of locomotives is installing Keep Alives as TCS calls them into my DCC locomotives. Only a 1 second keep alive will work wonders on points and track not recently cleaned.

The Aylesbury layout was excellent and an interesting presentation. 

I am into minimal photography but Andy's tutorial was well done. 

best

• 6 months later...

Loved the article on Mark Casson's Grime Street (and Phil Parker's follow on concerning motorizing a die-cast tram.)  Of most interest to me was Mark's use of Walthers and DPM structure kits to work in a British scene.  I have tried to identify which kits provided the basis for each building on the layout.  This is where the DVD became extremely useful as it allowed me to see more of the layout and to "pause" the video when needed for some extra studying.  The combination of the article and video really allowed me to more fully enjoy the fantastic effort that Grime Street is.

Archived