Rochelle Illinois Webcam

There were about a dozen of these strangely painted tanks on this eastbound BNSF manifest

attachicon.gifUntitled-1.jpg

about half the height of the tank barrel seems to have been badly painted in white...if it was the sunnyside up, I might think it was for heat reflection. But it's the undersides.

Frost? Either the frost on upper surfaces has melted (in sun?), or there's something cold in the bottom of the tanks. Edited by pH

Damn!  I just missed a passenger train heading east on the BNSF!

:(

!!!

Hopefully I can see it when I stop at the post office in a few minutes, to get there I drive parallel to the BN C&I. I live about a half mile from the line.

As far as I know, never - I suspect this was either an officers inspection train or some other special move - I literally saw the last 50 feet of a silver streamlined pax car like this

post-238-0-26637100-1487003933_thumb.jpg

go past the cam.  I probably should have said 'I saw the last 50 feet of a streamline pax car' rather than 'passenger train' but excitement and disappointment got the better of me!

:)

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters

Passenger traffic through Rochelle is very rare - special movements and detours only.

I did catch this between Sugar Grove and Aurora, but rolled up to the crossing too late to do anything more than two quick (bad) phone pics from the driver's seat. It was BNSF 91 and an idler car.

post-8880-0-88557900-1487009284.jpg

post-8880-0-22401500-1487009300.jpg

• Like 2

Both railroads are detour routes for Amtrak trains. The UP can handle the Zephyr if there is a problem with the CB&Q mainline and I think in some cases the Chief as well. The BNSF can host the Empire Builder if there is a problem with the CP between the Twin Cities and Chicago. Of course these types of detours don't happen often but they do happen every now and then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

About 10 minutes ago a Union Pacific train came towards the camera hauled by four locos. The first was in UP yellow, the second and third in CSX blue and the fourth also had the CSX blue but with the lettering blanked out in a grey primer looking colour. Should have taken a screenshot of it but as always managed to think too slowly!